• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What’s your favorite Aviation/Airplane book?

zout

Subhunter - I am surprised at you.

I am more of a U.S. Calvary - Lewis & Clark buff - BUT this real life story was intriquing to me.
The book is called: Blink Man's Bluff - it is a Submarine story.

THe U.S. subs set listening devices during the cold war - It will have you sitting on the edge of your seat (untold stories) like finding a hydrogen bomb lost by the AF and more.
Amazing irony is the Soviet Union never found this device till years later - sat on their underwater phone lines for years - plus they did the same to other countries.
Check it outi

subhunter

Ya there were some good sub books. Sorry to say they make BMB look like
posers.

Thunder Below
Clear the Bridge
Wahoo
Are in a class by themselves.

For one that will shock the hekk out of you read
Red Star Rogue
Its a book everyone should read.

Final Patrol was a good book too.

Ya tapping the phone line was funny. Why the hekk they did not put a
Made in France sticker on the thing still puzzles me. That would have
had the ruskies looking in the wrong direction.

steve87

Fate is the Hunter by Ernest Gant

if you are a pilot you will really like this book. He describes every part of flying that pilots think about. There are a lot of neat stories.

Other great ones are

Stuka Pilot
Thud Ridge
The Blonde Knight

Barrman

I second the "Fate is the Hunter" nomination. Actually, just about anything by Gann is great reading for pilots and anybody that likes aviation.

The autobiography of Jimmy Dolittle, "I could never be so lucky again" is a great read as well.

tinindian

The Blonde Knight is one of my favorite boks. I think that a movie about Hartmann's life would amazing. I do not think it will ever happen because of the reluctance to show a German Officer in good light.

PureMayhem

Blue Moon over Cuba -The story of the Cuban Missile Crisis

I was 7 years old when this happened. We lived in Jacksonville Florida at the time and my father was in VFP-62, the squadron that took the photographs of the missiles in Cuba. Dad was gone for 2 weeks and the Navy wouldn't tell my mother where he was but we knew it was related to the blockade of Cuba. Captain Ecker was the CO and Lt. Coffey was a family friend. You can see more about it at VFP62.com

jpg

Gillcrist wrote a series of books about Naval Aviation. I've read them all. Highly recommended. His first arrested (carrier) landing was in a Grumman Hellcat, and his last was in an F14. He commanded Top Gun, and consulted on the script for the movie. Later, he was tasked to select a replacement for the F5 aggressor aircraft used at Top Gun. As part of the selection process, he qualified in and evaluated every fighter aircraft available in the free world at the time. The guy has lots of good stories.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
For this 5 year old thread----

Sterlings Desert Raiders. It's not about planes but they sure did blow up a lot of them.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SAS & LDRG. Good choice. My 48' CJ2A is being morphed into an parade SAS jeep.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

I read it straight through while convalescing at Walter Reed AMC and died (almost) laughing. My new father-in-law was a wing commander at Shaw AFB and a WWII bomber pilot, so I bought him a copy. He ranted and raved about how wrong it was and would hardly speak to me again. I thought his reaction lent credibility to the book.

ALSO To War in a Stringbag by Charles Lamb was very revealing. It is about a squadron of Fairey Swordfish, which was the plane that stuck the rudder on the Bismarck.

Last edited:

TB58

TM 1-1520-248-10 especially chapters 5&9
One I really liked about ten years ago but havent read recently is Chickenhawk, Huey pilot in Vietnam. I probably should read it again and see how I feel about it at this point in my life.

One that I read at a young age and reread recently was west with the night. Talk about a book that makes you want to walk away from everything, buy a plane and go fly the bush of Africa. Not a very long book, but the wonans life is one many wish they had.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Chickenhawk is amazing. One of the best books I've ever read. Strongly recommended.

Another Ahab

TM 1-1520-248-10 especially chapters 5&9
One I really liked about ten years ago but havent read recently is Chickenhawk, Huey pilot in Vietnam. I probably should read it again and see how I feel about it at this point in my life.

One that I read at a young age and reread recently was west with the night. Talk about a book that makes you want to walk away from everything, buy a plane and go fly the bush of Africa. Not a very long book, but the wonans life is one many wish they had.
That was Beryl Markham, and the book is an excellent read. She had a quote in there that has stuck with me all these years:

- She talked about the fears we all have to do something unknown, and she likened it to flying toward a huge cloud and talking about how imposing it looks from a distance. And that how, once you reach it, it's really nothing at all, just water vapor, and you breeze right through it. Master your fears.

"West with the Night"; that's a good read right there I'll agree with you.

Last edited:

Piper Cub

Some good sounding books listed here! I'll have to check out every book mentioned, even the ones I've already read! I like the books Sled Driver by Brian Shul about his experiences in the SR71. He's a very interesting man to read about and to meet in person. Also X-Plane Crashes: Exploring Experimental, Rocket Plane & Spycraft Incidents, Accidents & Crash Sites is a fascinating book. Many of the incidents in that book happened very close to home in Palmdale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks