• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What 5-ton series would be good for mudding?

SgtTurtle

Ive been looking into the 5 ton series with the intention off using It for mudding and lots of off road. I came down to the m925a2 since they have the self recovery winch and allison automatic trans but i read that îf you get stuck bad and throw it into low reverse it can quickly destroy the transmission. I was wondering if anybody knew of better options or alternatives.:?:

dawico

Actually, it is the transfer case that is weak in low 6x6 reverse.

I don't know of any 5 ton that would make a great mudder. They are heavy and there are better options for weight to power ratio.

Hopefully someone else can give you better options.

Artisan

Transfer cases will break if ABUSED in low. Under normal use
they work fine. Any 5 Ton w/ Mud Chains will be VERY fun to play with.
I might raise the axle vents and make sure the front boots are good
and don't forget to move the tranny hole plug from its stowed
position to its INSTALLED position and anything else the TM says to
do before fording and go have fun with it after you get a Class B license
or unless it is not required??? Watch them go anywhere, like thru ponds
etc on you tube! 5 tons rule! :)

PS, I have chains for sale for 14:00 20 tires

SgtTurtle

Okay thanks especially for the chainpart ill look into it and the other things if/when i get one. I guess if i get a m925a2 and use the winch i wouldn't really need to abuse the low range to hard

If you want a truck that will REALLY go off-road, get a marine version truck with the lockers in the rear axles, it makes a HUGE difference when you get in the slick stuff (I have a M928a1 and a M927a1, the M927 has lockers and is noticeably better off-road)

You can buy any 5-ton and put lockers in at a later date (just so happens I have a 5-ton with lockers I'd LOVE to sell, but it's a rust bucket!)

Artisan

If you want a truck that will REALLY go off-road, get a marine version truck with the lockers in the rear axles, it makes a HUGE difference when you get in the slick stuff (I have a M928a1 and a M927a1, the M927 has lockers and is noticeably better off-road)

You can buy any 5-ton and put lockers in at a later date (just so happens I have a 5-ton with lockers I'd LOVE to sell, but it's a rust bucket!)

A lil rusty but a solid truck it is...It would make a GREAT 5-Ton-Mudda-Trucka'!
LOCKERS? Worth there weight in GOLD. Those were Marine version trucks
that were DESIGNED for adverse landing conditions. I would love
to own a locker marine version 5Ton...

SgtTurtle

Thanks ill look into them (edit, none of the ones i found were troop variants nor did i see any turbo diesel variants but that may have been me misreading descriptions)

Last edited:

SgtTurtle

Also as long as the gross weight of the vehicles is below 26001 (i think) you dont need a class b. Most of the ones ive looked at were just shy of this by about 3000-4000ib's (edit- i was informed this is not true i confused GVW and GVWR)

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only bad thing about having the biggest mud truck around is who's going to pull you out when you get stuck (you will get stuck).

A 5-ton buried to the axles in deep mud can take quite a feat to get it out. Just something to think about.

infidel got me

The only bad thing about having the biggest mud truck around is who's going to pull you out when you get stuck (you will get stuck).

A 5-ton buried to the axles in deep mud can take quite a feat to get it out. Just something to think about.
That's the fact jack-- big truck= big stuck

I slept in hotel 5 ton my last stuck, until I could get my buddy to retrieve me with his 5 ton w/winch

Have a buddy with a dozer or a 20k winch or be prepared to pay big for a wrecker, if he will even try to get to you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Had a fellow member get his M813A1 get stuck. Then my M818 got stuck trying to get him out. Had to bring out the M816 Wrecker to pull both out. It was just a few feet off the pavement. No mudding going on. Luckily it only cost some fuel and not a tow bill.

ke5eua

I've gotten my 818 stuck a couple times. Both time I used the self recovery method of chain in the rear duals.

Whatever you get just remember the maintenance needed after playing in the mud. Have to go through the front seals to make sure they are still good and no water made its way in to the axle.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've taken my deuces out mudding several times. But I've only cruised around in the 5 tons. I'm sure I could get the SEMTT unstuck with my M543A2. But the risk/reward/work involved doesn't make it appealing to me.

painter paul

Reminds me of when the Army National Guard used to drive the trucks thru flooded river water. Do you realize the time and money spent to clean up and change all the oil in them to make sure they are mission ready again.

ke5eua

Reminds me of when the Army National Guard used to drive the trucks thru flooded river water. Do you realize the time and money spent to clean up and change all the oil in them to make sure they are mission ready again.
You mean the time and money spent fixing the broken parts because they didn't want to do the required services after forwarding water.

I joke, but I know how lazy we were when I was at cav.