• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what about dry ice blasting?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard that sandblasting can get sand in places you don't want(axle pumpkins, etc). Walnut shells are an option but now I'm hearing about dry ice. Any comments? I'd love to blast my deuce completely(tons of paint layers) so I'm fishing for suggestions/comments.

Thanks,

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The air compressor that runs my buddy's media blasting operation is a screw type compressor with a dryer and all sorts of nifty stuff-and it cost many tens of thousands of dollars.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We bought one about six years ago it was about 15K for the unit, we used it to quick clean aluminum dies, worked great but it was high maint. and costly.
James G.

devilman96

I would think the cost involved would be astronomical especially after blasting my truck... Or well... blasting most of my sheet metal anyways...

I started off chemically striping the parts and then switched over to sand to finish the rest off with a rotary compressor and pressure pot... I had one of the fold down access panels and one fender in the end that I did not strip... Those 2 parts alone ate up over 1000 lbs of sand getting all of the paint and rust off. The paint is so thick and in so many coats it seems near impossible reguardless of the media used in the process.

houdel

Hmmm - How about renting a container of liquid nitrogen and pouring it over the parts to be cleaned, then finishing up with a conventional process like a wire brush on an angle grinder? The liquid nitrogen would be definitely risky, don't even know how well it would work, but it IS a thought!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
dry ice isn't used because it's cold. it is abrasive in solid form and when it sublimates (goes from solid to gas) it literally floats away, leaving no media to "gum up the works" of whatever you are stripping.

CameronM715

Dry ice blasting is available as a kit for rental in some areas. Near my town, this company rents entire kits: http://www.completewelderssupply.com/

I do not know how it compares to sand with speed, but I have seen the finished work and it looks very clean. I saw the pictures of a greasy and disgusting restaurant stove and hood that was blasted to shiny and new without leaving residue.

rdixiemiller

The thermal shock is what separates the paint from the substrate, in combination with the actual impact of the dry ice pellets. This is used in the injection molding business to clean plastic injection dies. It is also used extensively in the tire molding business for the same purpose. It does a jam up job on a greasy, splattered, welding fixture. It can often be used to clean a machine while it is still in operation. I saw a video of the stripping of the original -7 (Boeing 707 prototype). The job was finished and they swept up the chips, 3 barels worth.