• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What about the rear main seal housing?

ntxcop

Are you talking about the lower rear main seal, that's behind the transmission / clutch fly wheel?

My lower rear main seal went out and started leaking oil into the clutch and out the drain hole at the bottom of the transmission bell housing. I did not have a seal housing handy so I didn't replace it. If I had one, I would have installed it while I had the transmission / clutch dropped. The housing that holds the seal is made of aluminum and removing the seal from the housing without damaging the housing is tricky.

When you put the new seal into the seal housing, don't hammer it, it's pretty delicate. I don't have a press, so I used a large C clamp and some wood / steel to press the new seal into the old housing.

Here are some pics of how I did my job, hope they help.

I used a chain hoist attached to a metal pole that ran from the rear window through the front window openings. Bolted a chain onto the transmission and used the hoist to lower the transmission.

CIMG0041.jpgCIMG0055.jpgCIMG0051.jpg

This is the housing and the seal, along with my make shift press. It worked out just fine!

CIMG0037.jpgCIMG0036.jpgCIMG0035.jpg

Good Luck!