• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What all MEP models do members have?

pclink427

I have one MEP-003A mounted on M116A2 Trailer. Generator showed 3.2 operating hours. With guidance from SteelSoldiers I removed all cowls performed thorough inspection, cleaned out critter crap, cleaned fuel system, fueled and purged. Engine started first attempt runs and operates perfectly. I thank all those responsible for the development and maintenance of SteelSoldiers.com, it is a tremendous asset for maintenance and restoration of military vehicles and equipment. Thanks Again, Greg

storeman

I now have one 002a with ASK and one 003a as connected backups. Both in good running condition. Also have 3 other 002a's, load tested at my store.
Jerry

AceHigh

MEP-003A from Richmond. Looks great, just have to find all the filter elements. Just picked it up day before yesterday. "Running condition unknown" :)
I posted this in 2010, now she runs great and has saved family bacon on several occasions. I love the trailer, added roof panels from Lowes, added spin on filters, extra 15 gallon tank. Best $600 I spent from GL.

DieselGenAC

Currently
(1) MEP-531A, unknown hours (broken hr meter) but runs well
(1) MEP-016B, not functioning

Wish list
MEP-952B, to charge batteries for a future hybrid solar/battery/inverter system as backup power for my house

Last edited:

Rapracing

MEP-002a ... Runs great. I think I need to do something with the DC Charging System. It charges at 30 + after running for a few minutes. Will do that as soon as the weather breaks.

MEP-003a ... Also runs great. I am going to get the injectors gone over as soon as it's nice enough out there to tear it apart. It has a little white smoke from one exhaust for about 1 - 2 minutes after just starting it up. Also have new glow plugs that will be installed when it goes back together. They are working fine but from what I saw on the 002 plugs (bulging on the end) I will replace them and be done with it.

Maybe an 803 in the future but I am not convinced they are near the machine as the older ones. We will see

ETA: The 002 has 36 hours now....7 when I purchased it and the 003 has 8 hours now and 3 when I purchased it.

Last edited:

coxju04

MEP-002 w/ ASK 500 hours changed the oil, fresh diesel new battery's. Started it up and load tested. Runs great.

MEP-003 w/ ASK a little over 500 hours, came with battery's, changed the oil, cleaned the diesel tank. Started up. It smoked for a few mins, the smoke cleared up and runs like a top. Load tested. I tore the ASK apart, took all the old crud and installed newer form rubber in the ASK, installed it back on the generator. It did make it quiter

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
'91 PU-753M, 24 hrs since '07 tier 2 re-set.
Came from a MS NG unit. Changed filters, cleaned strainer; fuel tank was pristine, as was oil. Installed batteries, replaced broken tab on glow plug line. Started first try; runs like a Swiss watch, just a bit noisier. Missing the aux fuel cap fitting.

1800 Diesel

See my signature. Several of each...haven't counted lately. About 20% of units haven't been serviced to run--that would include 4 MEP4s and a couple each of MEP 2 & 3s. The rest all run and some need further restoration work before being RFI...

Kevin

dangier

Bought 2 002's on trailer a year ago from New Castle. Then bought a single 002 from Meade. Sold one to a neighbor for what I paid for all three. One 002 hooked to house and one on trailer.

***Happy Camper***

David

I have 4 002a's, 1 for my home back up. Runs my entire house generally pulling 15 - 20% load untill the central AC kiccks in. machine # 2- Still at my cousins house from Sandy. #3, put a reman engine on it still have to get around to determining whether the meter is bad or the transducer is bad. #4- needs a fuel tank and either retime the IP or an injector change.
2 ea 003a's- #1 bought a 112 and changed the generator head, output connection box and control cubical from a dead 003. Runs strong and makes plenty of juice. Machine #2- Runs strong but never got around to determine why it stopped making power. Will start looking at that soon again.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a 017a on an m116a1 trailer from GSA. 1990 rebuild with 260hr on the clock. At first look she was used then put away wet (old gas plugged the fuel line, jerry can still attached) but with a bypass and an oil change she fired up like new. Now to load test when weather permits.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a -002A2 on a 116A3 trailer, clean unit and trailer has bows and good cover. Unit was serviced and prepped, then sold. All filters are clean and new. Just got 2ea 51R batteries. Waiting for a sunny day to fire it up. Also have a NOS ASK kit in the box, that will go on when it's all dialed in.

1800 Diesel

Kevin,
I didn't know you were that snake bitten.
Jerry
:beer:
Hi Jerry,

Six brothers & three sisters to start with and all but 2 live along the coast; so that's 6 units needed & my brother needs 2 extra ones on his farm & of course we'll have an MEP4 for main & an MEP3 for the backup unit and then an MEP2 for the small shop. Basically working on family stuff first & then will sell the rest once they're RFI...... :)

BTW, might be back up your way in May.....might have to stop by if I need an IP or something.... :)

storeman

Kevin,
Look forward to seeing you. Several members have visited as you know. Gimpyrobb is the IP guy now. I've blown through mine, except for some spare parts. Still adjusting/repairing a lot of injectors though.

Wife (Pat) is about to leave me as last week I bought on GOV-Deals an aluminum-body Chevy P-30 step van (14' box dually.....to make it easier to go to storage unit auctions and get away clean....to restock the flea market.) hehehe. To pick it up she had to drive me about 200 miles to Western State Hospital, the state long-term nuthouse in Staunton, Va.

We are on tenuous term today. Good thing you aren't coming through this weekend!

Jerry:clinto:

zoltarp

Picked up my first MEP-002a from Plymouth VA a few days ago, so far it looks like I need a replacement throttle cable and the nuts are missing from the load lugs. The engine is not seized thank goodness, I just drained the oil and removed the fuel filter housings so I can put the new filters and oil back in. The fuel tank needs some cleaning up, I think I'll fill it 1/8 full of pea gravel and strap it to my tractor tire to turn it into a tumbler, that should polish up the internals and give my kids some fun time in the yard LOL. I think the nuts for the lugs shouldn't be too hard to find locally, I found new lugs complete for $20 each but I'll only do that as a last resort. Does anyone know the size/pitch of these nuts? Thanks for making such a great site.

jamawieb

Picked up my first MEP-002a from Plymouth VA a few days ago, so far it looks like I need a replacement throttle cable and the nuts are missing from the load lugs. The engine is not seized thank goodness, I just drained the oil and removed the fuel filter housings so I can put the new filters and oil back in. The fuel tank needs some cleaning up, I think I'll fill it 1/8 full of pea gravel and strap it to my tractor tire to turn it into a tumbler, that should polish up the internals and give my kids some fun time in the yard LOL. I think the nuts for the lugs shouldn't be too hard to find locally, I found new lugs complete for $20 each but I'll only do that as a last resort. Does anyone know the size/pitch of these nuts? Thanks for making such a great site.
The best method I have found is pressure washing the tanks, I have tried everything and that is the best I have found. Also, on the big auction site that starts with E, has your nuts you are looking for $8.99

zoltarp

The best method I have found is pressure washing the tanks, I have tried everything and that is the best I have found. Also, on the big auction site that starts with E, has your nuts you are looking for $8.99
Thanks, I found some locally at Fastenall and the price was right :)

10Lugger

I'm on this site researching a MEP-802a before purchasing. Thanks to the members here, I jumped in. Now I'm going to try to find a 002. I hope this stuff doesn't get addicting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks