• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What antenna do I need for 450MHz?

Autonomy_Lost

Wayback machine... 20 years ago when Murphy Surplus was selling them "cheap" picked up three of them. Coupled up to Motorola MCS2000, 420 to 450, 40 watt rigs. Uses a male "N" connector. VSWR flat across the band and exhibits 4-5 dB gain as published.

Darn near unbreakable. Works like a million buck for HAM 440 band and the military HD use. Never an issue. Two are still in service.

WA6CAM - WA6VVC, CAMO

View attachment 844044View attachment 844045
Sorry, which model antenna exactly?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Does anyone know the frequency range of the AB 1284/vsq-1? Some of the frequencies I'm using are 460 and higher.
420 to 450 MHz. VSQ/1 antennas all part of the same system. If you want the gain in this design range, IMO these are the ones. Going for a wide bandwidth is going to have reduced gain to the negative in most of the "military" models. That and the use of diplexer/s or splitters. Most military antennas are not designed for say... DX work.

Might be overthinking it if operated outside of its design range at the UHF frequencies... up to a point. I would worry to much up to 470. Just know and check the VSWR. Nothing you can do to fix it, as it is sealed up.

If you look at a HumV and note all the antennas speaks volumes of the headaches of RF on the battlefield.

What is your call sign? CAMO

Autonomy_Lost

420 to 450 MHz. VSQ/1 antennas all part of the same system. If you want the gain in this design range, IMO these are the ones. Going for a wide bandwidth is going to have reduced gain to the negative in most of the "military" models. That and the use of diplexer/s or splitters. Most military antennas are not designed for say... DX work.

Might be overthinking it if operated outside of its design range at the UHF frequencies... up to a point. I would worry to much up to 470. Just know and check the VSWR. Nothing you can do to fix it, as it is sealed up.

If you look at a HumV and note all the antennas speaks volumes of the headaches of RF on the battlefield.

What is your call sign? CAMO
Thanks. I was considering trying to chop the length slightly to tune it up. I do have a sightmaster SWR analyzer, I will check it as is first. PM sent with call sign.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I was considering trying to chop the length slightly to tune it up. I do have a sightmaster SWR analyzer, I will check it as is first. PM sent with call sign.
There you go. Anyone with a Sitemaster should have this figured out.🤔 Run the plot and report back.

The design is not a chop and tune to see what happens. It is a coaxial collinear stack of elements, sealed in the fiberglass radome whip. Won't be any tuning, but we have used them excellent results 420 to 473 MHz, Ham, GMRS, FRS, Commercial, S&R, Law & Fire. You will note the input is a "N" male which is a little weird, but engineered that way to keep from mixing up with other system. (Crimp a cable to female or adapt) Also the feed is a small teflon coax up thru the spring to the contacts to the radiating elements. Stay at a 40 Watt power level and all will be fine. Threads are different too for the same mixing reasoning. One would be amazed what the troops try and come up with, screwing this on that and no comms. Good profile too, as to not wack Jack at the Box. LOL

Better buy two... cuz when the boy's see it, they are going to want one two, too. Military antennas generally are not ham friendly, do to the frequencies not compatible to our ham band plans. This one covers a popular 440 ham band perfect. (Truth be known most are for looks "resto hobby"and expensive, poor functionality)

The right look with performance VSQ/1, CAMO WA6VVC / WA6CAM

PS any ham out here I think it would be good to use your call sign. What you got to hide ? It is the internet.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I think its 30-80 mhz.
These are the shorter, solid stick antenna with the rounded tip. Special flat plate like base with "N" male in center. 4 hole, standard mount. Here's some pictures for the gang.

When you get it figured out ... don't fo get my commission 💰, CAMO

If it was ME... this is the one to have for all things discussed. From my private stock.DSCN1814.JPGDSCN1816.JPGDSCN1814.JPG stock LOL.

DSCN1811.JPGDSCN1812.JPGDSCN1815.JPG

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

There you go. Anyone with a Sitemaster should have this figured out.🤔 Run the plot and report back.

The design is not a chop and tune to see what happens. It is a coaxial collinear stack of elements, sealed in the fiberglass radome whip. Won't be any tuning, but we have used them excellent results 420 to 473 MHz, Ham, GMRS, FRS, Commercial, S&R, Law & Fire. You will note the input is a "N" male which is a little weird, but engineered that way to keep from mixing up with other system. (Crimp a cable to female or adapt) Also the feed is a small teflon coax up thru the spring to the contacts to the radiating elements. Stay at a 40 Watt power level and all will be fine. Threads are different too for the same mixing reasoning. One would be amazed what the troops try and come up with, screwing this on that and no comms. Good profile too, as to not wack Jack at the Box. LOL

Better buy two... cuz when the boy's see it, they are going to want one two, too. Military antennas generally are not ham friendly, do to the frequencies not compatible to our ham band plans. This one covers a popular 440 ham band perfect. (Truth be known most are for looks "resto hobby"and expensive, poor functionality)

The right look with performance VSQ/1, CAMO WA6VVC / WA6CAM

PS any ham out here I think it would be good to use your call sign. What you got to hide ? It is the internet.
Thanks for the detailed reply, I wont mess with it then!

And yes I'd like to maintain a somewhat low internet profile, seeing as the FCC database publically publishes names and addresses for all licensees.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the detailed reply, I wont mess with it then!

And yes I'd like to maintain a somewhat low internet profile, seeing as the FCC database publically publishes names and addresses for all licensees.
See post # 34 for more details I posted for the Texas sales office 86humv.... LOL.

You can run, but can not hide.

sell seLL SELL, CAMO

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2 different 1 pc element I have are: NSN 5985-01-288-9873...[ shorter one ] and the longer 1 pc element is a : NSN 5985-01-017-0784

Last edited:

Valor

These are the shorter, solid stick antenna with the rounded tip. Special flat plate like base with "N" male in center. 4 hole, standard mount. Here's some pictures for the gang.

When you get it figured out ... don't fo get my commission 💰, CAMO

If it was ME... this is the one to have for all things discussed. From my private stock.View attachment 844192View attachment 844190View attachment 844192 stock LOL.

View attachment 844189View attachment 844191View attachment 844188
I'll take it. How much?