• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Are Normal Axle Hub Temperatures?

Rifleman

After reading other members here talking about checking their axle hub temps i decided to check mine. So today, after driving my M925 for about 20 miles none stop i checked all my hub temps. First i check the front axle hub temps, they were right around 98 to 100 degrees. Next i checked the center axle hub temps, they ran 106 to 108 degrees. Then i checked the rear axle hub temps, they were a little hotter then the others, they were right around 110 to 112 degrees.
So my questions are this,
(1) Should all the hubs run the same temperatures?
(2) Is a spread of 10 to 12 degrees between all my hubs anything to be worried about?
(3) last question, do you guys think the temps i recorded for my hubs to be in the normal range?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
After reading other members here talking about checking their axle hub temps i decided to check mine. So today, after driving my M925 for about 20 miles none stop i checked all my hub temps. First i check the front axle hub temps, they were right around 98 to 100 degrees. Next i checked the center axle hub temps, they ran 106 to 108 degrees. Then i checked the rear axle hub temps, they were a little hotter then the others, they were right around 110 to 112 degrees.
So my questions are this,
(1) Should all the hubs run the same temperatures?
(2) Is a spread of 10 to 12 degrees between all my hubs anything to be worried about?
(3) last question, do you guys think the temps i recorded for my hubs to be in the normal range?
I have been told that if you can keep your hand on the hub, it is ok. If you cannot, they(hub nuts) might be too tight. Too tight makes friction, which makes heat. If you have not been in the hub, they might just need grease.

That being said, those temps don't sound too bad imho.

Rifleman

Gimpyrodd, yes i can hold my hand on all the hubs, the rear axle is a little uncomfortable but i can hold my hand on it as long as i like. The thing i found odd is the fact that the front hub was the coolest of them all. Maybe its because that hub sticks out in the airstream, but to me, since all the weight is up front i though the front axle would be the hottest.

Artisan

Err, but to stay on topic, I regularly touch my hubs on extended trips,
certainly at every gas stop for sure! I am under the belief that if you
can hold your hand on it w/o being burned or complaining it
is too hot then you are ok. Of corse if you loaded down REALLY
heavy you might get a bit warmer but no matter, CONGRAGULATIONS,
you take good care of your equipment. MANY guys drive till something
is smoking! :goodjob:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the air temp?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in AZ in the summer time they do get hot. They will not all be the same, but should be close.
I have seen 135-145 in the summer time. In the winter time when I hit the car wash before a show or display you can have steam come off the hubs.
The first time I saw that I went oh s&#$%^. I live off a dirt road in the sticks and have to wash the dust off.
The key I have been told, if you can put your hand on it, it is ok. I have a little IR temp. gauge in all my trucks.

RustyM923

Brakes do affect the hub temp. I see about 100 to 135 usually. This is in moderate temps (50 to 80 degrees) with light traffic sometimes.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M814, hub temps run 20-25 degrees above air temp. Tires can run as high as 160- the NDT's are bad about running hot. The 11x20 radials run much cooler, almost as cool as the hubs.

Zoidsfan77

Found this thread after checking my hubs today after a short 50 mph drive, and some around town stop and go.
Checked by hand, no hubs were hot. Front and mid axle are warm to the touch, but rearmost is only lukewarm. Truck is unloaded.
Just curious why the rearmost hubs would be cooler. Do they experience less load than the mids when empty? Or perhaps more torque?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see about 120 average, but it takes more than 20 miles to get there. I wouldn't worry about a 10 degree difference in temperature.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Found this thread after checking my hubs today after a short 50 mph drive, and some around town stop and go.
Checked by hand, no hubs were hot. Front and mid axle are warm to the touch, but rearmost is only lukewarm. Truck is unloaded.
Just curious why the rearmost hubs would be cooler. Do they experience less load than the mids when empty? Or perhaps more torque?
The temps I see along my usage of my truck are located in the parts spreadsheet, top section. I see temps around 100 to 115. depending. I also have desplined hubs in the front so my temps there aren't much. I also temp gun everything on the truck when I stop for a break or fuel regardless of how it is running.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-6vGwwEsD-flXsMFBn7VomUUJDuk_aG_to5pzHqzkBc/edit#gid=0

MCSFBN

Kind of in line with the topic....I have been gathering tools and things for my 925, some of you all have mentioned IR temp Guns. Any suggestions on brand or type so I can keep a good read on what my girl maybe trying to tell me?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Kind of in line with the topic....I have been gathering tools and things for my 925, some of you all have mentioned IR temp Guns. Any suggestions on brand or type so I can keep a good read on what my girl maybe trying to tell me?
I use an OEM Tools IR gun. Just make sure with any gun you buy check its accuracy with the bucket of ice water test so see how close it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks