• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are normal shift points?

GFB

M1009, With light to medium throttle input it shifts at around 21mph and 42mph. Is this normal or do I need to dig further? Shifts aren't overly firm, but it's kinda annoying cruising through town at 35 and you have to to up to 40 to get it to shift and then slow down. Replaced vacuum lines already and will do a filter/fluid change just because it probably hasn't ever been done. The TM shows a special spacer tool for adjusting the valve on the injection pump, of course I don't have it. Which way should I adjust it, or should I even mess with it? I'm under the impression that it's not the modulator because you would have to take it nearly to governed rpm to get it to shift if it was bad, correct?

suggsdr

CFB- My m1009 is about the same. I don't think you have any issues with the transmission or the vac reg.a while back it was hard to shift to 3 found the vac hose adapter broke done away with the adapter & replaced all vac hoses ran great.look at all your vac hoses.
good luck

cmroles

Status quo says it's ok. Thaks guys. [thumbzup]
Try lifting off the throttle a little bit at around 35 and see if it makes it shift.

If I have steady "medium" throttle applied to my M1009 it will shift to 2nd at about 25mph and into 3rd at about 42-43mph.

If I lift off throttle at around 35 it will kick up to 3rd, then I just put my foot back down and putter along at 35mph in 3rd gear.

panzerwillie

there is a few factors here , i adjusted mine to shift 1-2 15mph ans 2-3 at 20-25mph , you can do that by losing the vacum regulator bolts {3/8 wrench] and pull the regulator back towards the rear fire wall the more you move it back the faster it shifts, now the vacuum pump has to deliver between 22-25 inches of vacuum before the regulator and all hook up you can check he vacuum at the trany vacuum module and it needs to have 12-15 inches at idle for it to shift smooth and quick at ligth trottle, if it does not have between 12-15 inches the regulator is getting old that is if you have 25 inches before the regulator at idle, now there is also a adjustment in the trany module {last result} inside where the vacuum hose plugs in you can turn it in or out with a small flat head, turn it clock wise will make the shift delay and fim up a little, counter clock fast and smooth, even if te cacuum sorce is low you can remove the insert all should make the shifts 20 and about 34 mph, usualy when the regulator at he pump is bad you will only get 7 inches at the trany with it adjusted all the wayback, i get 21-25mpg on my driving it like a old lady and i'm runing 256 gears on my and had 273 gears before {308 stock} i drive about 400 -500miles a week 80% HWY , make sure all the hoses are good you best friend is a vacuum gauge....:-D

BIG_RED

Shift points on my M1009 are close. I find that if I'm driving close to the speed it should shift (42ish), and it's not shifting, and there's traffic ahead of me so that I can't accelerate to 46 and let off, if I stomp the pedal (not quite to where the downshift switch kicks in) just for a sec and then let go, it shifts. (This is how I use 3rd gear in the city).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Ando427

Do you know where I can purchase a new rubber boot portion of the vacuum valve where the vacuum lines plug in? If not, do and I have to buy a whole new vacuum regulator, what is the on for that?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not available.

Just put the lines directly on the regulator.

The rubber block simply made it impossible to get the hoses reversed.

cucvrus

musky muskrat.jpgJust remember top T to transmission modulator and bottom B to back of engine vacuum pump. I learned that here when I was listening in class. Good Luck. But if you really think you need on of the rubber blocks. They were used on many GM engines back in the same time period. Check out the older GM products in the YOUPULLIT's near you. Happy Holidays.