• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are some of the rarest deuces

einstein

I have been reading up so what are some of the rarest deuces? Are all of them manual transmissions other than the A3?

How much do the rarest go for?>

Matt

AMGeneral

Hmmm,rarest M44 series would have to be the M60 wrecker,price is whatever you are willing to pay.

I would guess the rarest GMC deuce would have to be the M217 gasoline tanker or the M222 water tanker,I've never even seen one anywhere.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Pipeline deuce, air compressor deuce, signal body deuce with pole auger, bolster bed deuce (I think they made a deuce version....may have been a 5 ton) and I think I remember a version that had a clamshell crane and a half cab.
Our resident MV expert David Doyle would have a complete list.

FrankUSMC

AMGeneral
There is a M222 water truck down the road from me. It was sold from a Vol. fire department to a farmer. It looks like he drove it, and it stopped running in his field. It is now on the side of the field were it has been for the last 2 years, with the hood up. I would make him an offer for it, but I already have to many "projects".
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an article in MVM a while back with a lot of uncommon deuce pictures, mostly from testing at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, etc. There were a bunch of 1-off deuces that have long since been turned into Chinese toasters and Japanese cars, and will only be seen in pictures, unless someone makes a clone for show. Anyone have the issue number that was in?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the rarest one is the deuce with the "honest John" missile launcher on it. Or was that a 5-ton?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the rarest one is the deuce with the "honest John" missile launcher on it. Or was that a 5-ton?
The Honest John was mounted on a 5-ton. However, the deuce was used to carry the Lacrosse missile launcher back in the height of the Cold War, from 1959 - 1964. It was a smaller system, the deuce worked well in that role. I'm not sure if there are any survivors in a museum somewhere.....

Attachments

Reactions: NDT

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rumor has it there is one launcher at Ft Sill. The M48 is rare, don't know of any, other than mine. Don't know of any M47's. Converted pipeline trucks are rare. M60's. Any of the bolster deuces. Origional knuckleboom deuce (another prototype). Mobile machine shop deuce (4-5 in US I think). There's a photographic LWB deuce (now a camper). There were many prototypes. There's alot of rare varients but it seems they are older, mostly gassers and their price is usually lower cause everyone wants multi's. Another thing to look at is: what is their shape and how origional are they? Many are totally beat up and if there were only a couple made, you will have a very hard time getting correct parts. As for the M275 they can be found reasonable, but I would not listen to the guy in WI, I am sure some who have been here awhile will chime in about him.:rolleyes:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I remember a version that had a clamshell crane and a half cab.
The drag cranes were M45's with the crane added by the Army Corps of Engineers. MACCUS found a very nice one a couple years ago on GSA (in NEB I think)(Just noticed the pic above is one taken of it), SECO has a very rusty one, and Jack's in Tucson has a nice complete one that came from the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

hndrsonj is correct there is one down at Sill. I saw it a few years ago when I came back from my deployment. Stupid bus driver would not let me out to look at it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that the RAREST deuce is the one that lives only in our imagination....

Y'all know the one...

Some stranger owns it, it's in mint condition, he's got ALL the paperwork squared away, and most of all - he has RANDOMLY chosen ME to gift it to!!!!

:not worthy:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim's M48 is pretty darned rare, only one I know of. Only ever seen one M60 as well. If I could have anything deuce wise, I'd like to find an M763. It's a multifuel powered telephone maint truck alot like the V17A/MTQ.