• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are some of the rarest deuces

markmontana

Good time for a plug. It would be nice if all the folks on the site could find and do at least one restoratuion of an older MV. We do not want to see them all coming back at us as an import vehicle.
OK, I'm in for your challenge. My best and most unique truck would be my M49A2C. I was thinking of parting it out, or at least taking the tank off- but your suggestion makes sense. I don't think there are lot of these out there that are in 'running' condition, but it's by no means rare.

For now I think it best to slow the effects of nature. Its not in terrible shape, but covering the cab and doing some long term storage items would pay off down the road when I'm ready to do something. But keep in mind not all of us have your skill, equipment & experience!!! (Let alone a 'pole barn')

This picture is of a similar truck in 'good shape':

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As for multis go...

M49A2C with winch (original not an add on)
M36A2 with winch (again original. not as rare but not that many out there)
M185A2 with winch (and again with original winch)

Some folks added the winches but by checking the serial number, it is possible to determine if it is original or not.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, there is the decontamination truck (passed on one of those when I first got into this a few years ago - didn't know what it was - it was then scrapped - I also passed on a V17A/MTQ - same thing).

Then there is the topographic reproduction truck, the previously mentioned darkroom truck, the previously mentioned LaCrosse launchers (both versions), the truck-mounted guided missile firing station, the medical truck I posted a few months back, the L6 Oil Service Truck that a fellow in the UK posted a few months ago, the flame-thrower service truck, my 210G1 compressor truck is pretty tough - and this is just if we confine the discussion to the G-742 series trucks - if we get into the WWII-era trucks and the G-749 series truck, the list gets longer.

And now you know why its taken so long to put the deuce books together!

DD

TaylorTradingCo

rare Deuces

Not a particular model, but I have only seen a few Deuces made by Curtis-Wright. I bid on them and wish I had gone higher now. I do have a Reo M109 and a 1962 Studebaker-Packard. If I am not mistaken, the Study was the first make and year for the multi-fuel motor.

Not that it matters, but I am slowly amassing a collection of Checker Cab Co. M105's.

I like odd or out of existence manufacturers.

Derek Taylor

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As far as make goes, a real, bonafide Diamond-Reo (not Reo Motors) from 1972-1974 - only 5802 trucks were contracted for, and Diamond-Reo went broke (because of the fixed-priced deuce contract) before the order was completed. 747 of the trucks were unbuilt when the lights were turned out in Lansing. As a point of trivia - the folks that bought Diamond-Reo's assets, and liquidated them, are still in business - although they've changed their name - now they are known as Big Lots.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a point of trivia - the folks that bought Diamond-Reo's assets, and liquidated them, are still in business - although they've changed their name - now they are known as Big Lots.
Maybe we should go shake their tree and see what falls out. "2 for 1 Tuesdays?! Hot-digity-dog!" :mrgreen:

dmetalmiki

how about this

Reo Motors L-6 1954 Aircraft refueler

6 wheel drive mobile self contained vehicle for the delivery and dispensing of bulk oils to aircraft such as Sabre jets in Vietnam war. A truly rare vehicle that I have not ever seen another. Requiring restoration.Needs cab and light panelwork. All complete apart from front winch. Unfortunately the coil is burnt out so cannot be started but have driven this vehicle and all running gear and drive train. Tank: 750gal. Pump: 100GPM at 550RPM. £1,200.
07967 377884
08 March '10

Stuart McEwanLarge Image

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously, thats some sort of air conditioning ducting transporter. :lol:

Thats pretty slick. I'd imagine its an Israeli mod.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
are we only talking M series? The M27 bomb service CCKW and the 353 CCKW firetruck are both very very rare. The 352 short wheel base CCKW is also some what hard to come by. Oh and don't forget any type of Cab over GMC 2.5 ton truck

Attachments

Last edited:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
are we only talking M series? The M27 bomb service CCKW and the 353 CCKW firetruck are both very very rare. The 352 short wheel base CCKW is also some what hard to come by. Oh and don't forget any type of Cab over GMC 2.5 ton truck
While those are tough, there are survivors - and there are survivors of the engineer contact maintenance truck on the CCKW. But, I think the hardest one is the mobile armored observation tower (yes, a CCKW variant), water purification truck, short wheelbase airborne dump - I don't think there are survivors of those (but wartime photos of all are in my forthcoming big CCKW book - which is not the same is my little CCKW book that was just printed).

DD

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I saw somewhere that Jack Tomlin (in Utah) had a SWB airborne dump. Also Jack's Surplus in Tucson has a couple of SETOYOTAS CCKW inputs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks