• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what are the new model 1400 tires

Vintage iron

I am looking at purchasing some 1400 R20 tires from surplus. I was told that they have Michelin XL and Goodyear AT-2A. My question is which model tire would be older. All of them have plenty of tread. I have some 1400's now that have plenty of tread, but they have some weather checking on the side walls. It seems that the Michelin X's that I have are the worst. I saw a truck 5 ton that was just released from service and it had Michelin XZL? or something like that.

So my question is, are there certain models of tire that the military used in certain years. For example first was Michelin X and they were replaced with Michelin XL and then replaced with Michelin XZL. Just guessing here.

I am going to drive this truck on the road mostly and at highway speeds so I want the newest rubber I can get. Plus I think the tread on the Goodyear AT-2A looks better for road service.

oh yeah, the first guy to tell me that this has been discussed before and use my search feature is buying the beer at the next rally! :beer:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But if i could, i would switch both trucks to 14.00 XZL's.

Just because i like the tread design :D

As for which tread is the newest and still in production....

The oshkosh PLS uses XZL, and the PLS trailer used XL

1000 posts! YEA!

Last edited:

highsiera

Many have liked the Goodyear g177 for mostly on road driving. Tread is aggressive, wear life much longer, speeds higher, load rate higher and ther are regroovable (sp). Not sure if they come in 14's though. Of course if you want the look of the XL's, then just buy the Xl's...

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to be driving mainly on the road, I'd stick with the Goodyear AT-2A. After several thousand miles that I've put on both the Michelin XLs and the Goodyears, I think the Goodyears wear better. I prefer the look of the XLs (and like the XZLs even better), but you'll get more mileage out of the Goodyears.