• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the pros and cons of the 6.2l diesel?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is very unique. Looks like it started as a panel and was converted into a long carryall/suburban. 64-66 bodystyle. I know that the long WB panel was never a factory 4x4 option. Do tell about the truck. I'm the former owner of a 62 GMC factory 4x4 panel truck. Oh, the 6.2 would work quite well in one of these, albeit a little slow. Not slower than a 305 V6 or the inline 292.

bubba_got_you

That truck is a 1966 gmc coach it is (I have been told) one of 3 made in 66 it was a bus it had bus windows and bus seats (4 rows of 3 I believe). My dad acquired it from the guy that stripped the buss stuff out and made it 4x4 (it is cool as a 4x4 but this truck I would rather have had original) he drove it for years but had to park it about 5 years back and he wasn’t happy about it but that’s life. So a year ago when I sold my baby (my 52 m37) I needed a new truck to spend money on so I started working on this. It has lots more work to be done but it has come a long way since we started working on it and “fixing” all the “rigged” modifications. We plan to start the last of the bodywork (we replaced the rockers worked on the fenders and doors) and replace the back floor (wood) in a few weeks (give of take a month). The truck has a 472 out of a Fleetwood Cadillac so it sucks gas like its going out of style but it will smoke any other truck off the line. But since fast ant what im looking for and I love the smell of diesel I am looking to swap it out. A 4 or 6bt would be my first choice but it is also the most expensive. So im hopping some guys will chime in on what they like about the 6.2. How slow are we talking? If it can do 65 im happy but I have never had a 6.2 so I just don’t know.

deuce_09

Well speed depends on gears. Since you got the engine picked out.My uncles wrecker could go 85-90 but he had like 2.??:1 ratio and the 6.2 Vs. A m1008 with 4.56:1 ratio and tops out at 55 or so.

Westech

CPL
you can get 200HP out a a 6.2 for about 100 bucks. if you get the gearing correct for what you are going to use it for a 6.2 is a stront engine. Now we are not talking a 454 here, but good power with good fuel milage.

bubba_got_you

it has a dana 60 rear with i think 4:10 I plan to change the transmission with the motor because the one that is in it now only has 3 gears. I want more gears with an overdrive. what transmission would work good with the 6.2? i was thinking along the lines of a R 700 but i heard they are week.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
700 were junk for the first 4 years, after that there a good trans. If you get a rebuilt unit your safe. Ony thing is you need to get a trans that is set up for the diesel engine. DO NOT put in a gaser 700 and think its going to be perfect.

deuce_09

My M1008 will pull a house , it is not fast but it will pull and haul a ton with ease :beer:
I know they pull. Maybe I said the wrong thing.this was more my thoughts: A 6.2 is no cummins powerstroke or duramax. YOU can pull more cuz of the setup.m1008's are beasts. If only they had duramax's...:drool:

deuce_09

I hear alot of people find 6.5 diesels and put all goods on the 6.2..
They do that because the 6.5 block cracks between the cylinders if it gets too hot. And this was a bad problem with them. But I've been told that is cuz the bore and/or a little hole cast between cylinders. I was told too that there are places that will put a piece of solid metal in that hole and It helps alot. IMHO people crack diesel blocks and fling rods and go through pumps all for one reason, hot roding. Be easy with it and it will treat you right. I've go a friend who's dad has a 97' cummins with 600,000 mi on it and is still goin. All highway. I'm sure he replaced parts by then..

DokWatson

Only thing I don't like about the 6.2 is lack of acceleration up hill on the road. Then again, I am running 42's with 4.56 gears in heavy M1028a1.

Off road, the 6.2 is nothing to shake a stick at in 4 low, I love it when it comes to that.

I'm also getting around 16-18 MPG with 42's and 4.56's, can't argue with that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks