• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are these unique deuce accessories?

wildbilly1760

My father in laws truck has these unique accessories? What do you think they are for? The one on the hood? Maybe to hold a roll of constantina wire?? The one in the grill guard? maybe an armored unit badge at one time. later camo painted? Any ideas? also, he wants to know if the colors on his truck and the pattern were authentic? or reservist/ ng soldiers own artistic works? His truck is all hand painted, can tell from the brush marks. Each rim is a different color. Kinda neat.....i guess.... He likes it alot. Thats all that really matters. thanks, Wild Bill

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/wildbilly1760/armytrucks005.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/wildbilly1760/armytrucks006.jpg

Attachments

bguy193

The first photo looks like it could be a type of hood hook assembly for holding the hood up but I don't know about the triangle badge on the front.

fasttruck

Does this truck have a gun ring ? a long rod would be required to hold a hood up on a gun riing equipped truck. Triangle appears to be a unit crest that was paintexd over; similar to a
shoulder patch.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this truck have a gun ring ? a long rod would be required to hold a hood up on a gun riing equipped truck. Triangle appears to be a unit crest that was paintexd over; similar to a
shoulder patch.
I always considered the thing on the hood a trash bag holder, I have one on my deuce. The ringmount thing is plausible as my truck still has a U-bolt on the back of the cab.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
shoulder patch.
I agree about the unit crest. Since it is a triangle, it could be from an armor unit. I would recommend sanding off the triangle and see what is under the paint. Also, do you have any idea where the truck came from? Was it assigned to an armor unit?

whiskey yankee

I would recommend sanding off the triangle and see what is under the paint.
I'm a chicken when it comes to CARC but before you start thinking about sanding, think about how you're avoiding your exposure to CARC. Plenty of threads around on this subject. I know we're talking about 4" square here, and I know we're likely talking about aftermarket paint, and I know we're talking about a unit badge that maybe wasn't CARC to begin with, but I wouldn't want any newbies to start thinkin' you can play this paint archeology game without taking precautions.

tl;dr: CARC causes cancer, be careful sanding your deuce

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a chicken when it comes to CARC but before you start thinking about sanding, think about how you're avoiding your exposure to CARC. Plenty of threads around on this subject. I know we're talking about 4" square here, and I know we're likely talking about aftermarket paint, and I know we're talking about a unit badge that maybe wasn't CARC to begin with, but I wouldn't want any newbies to start thinkin' you can play this paint archeology game without taking precautions.

tl;dr: CARC causes cancer, be careful sanding your deuce
IMO, CARC isn't nearly as bad as alot of people like to talk it up. It's really no different than alot of the modern automotive paints. As long as you wear a good respirator, safety glasses, and wash up good afterwards you should be fine. You really need to be taking these same precautions with any paint sanding so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't ingest any of the dust if you can help it. :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are trying to take it off a little at a time, I'd suggest wet sanding it.

emr

CARC is not going to bite u :) If U sand it and keep breathing as deep as u can as long as U are doing it for a few months, U sure are going to get sick, but really, it is absolutly not any more dangerous than any other commercial coatings, study after study has comfirmed, this, I will look for my sheets on one of the last ones after the first war done independently to still the fears of those who were saying they are sick from the paint, Not true . Wet sanding just makes sense, no dust no worrys, REMEMBER the FINER the DUST the FURTHEST into your LUNGS it will GO< no matter what it is... :) U need a respirator mask one step above pollen , for basic touch up work, But it sure makes sense to go a little safer , it a 50 dollor mask is the way i go,

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The first pic is the rod that holds the hood up when raised.....usually attached to the windshield frame.....a very good idea on a windy day.

When I was in Germany we had a guy seriously injured when the hood was blown down on him while he was checking the oil.

wildbilly1760

It is a 1967. A few other hints as to it being a gun ring truck that we have found. It had the front ring leg bracket( the tube in front of the passenger door) removed. Possibly when the ring was taken off? We have found several 50 links in various places in the truck. The bolt holes for the rear legs look used. BUT< there is no cab stiffener plate across the rear of the inside of the cab, and no holes where it might have been removed. We both want to do the Vin# search to find out where our trucks have been, but havent done that yet. His truck doesnt have the hood hold up bracket like on my truck, so I think you are right with the hold up thing. No where for it to hook above the windshield unless the top is off. Thanks, Bill

bratpackdad

The triangle on the front grill is a M6245J92D. It's the "Fire Triangle" you can restore it by asking a Boy Scout to paint the correct symbols of "Oxygen" "Heat" "Fuel." :drool:

bratpackdad

Yes, the M6245J92D was designed to be used with the M31T62B (see above.) When both are used together they complete the "D.O.M." or Driver Operator Meal. :lol:

LanceRobson

I second the thought that the rod is likely from having a ring mount. Check the inside of the sleeve at the front of the passenger side door and the channels and bolt holes on the back of the cab for wear.

If the triangle were a armor insignia I'd expect it to be a equilateral triangle. Sanding would maybe help ID whether it is an insignia but It may be a "far recognition" symbol to designate a sub unit of a larger unit. Many units (usually at the brigade and lower level) use geometric shapes to mark sub-unit equipment to make ID easier. During tactical ops the bumper ID info is removed or covered up, hence a desire to ID from a distance which unit owns a vehicle.

Some SOPs call for designating the unit by the orientation of the symbol (pointing to the right, left, up or down) another unit might use colors or color patterns. A couple of our trucks came from the NJARNG and have square symbol stickers in white and blue mounted in the windshields. One truck's sticker is divided diagonally and the other is divided side-to-side at the middle. From the bumper markings and the little paperwork in them they came from two diferent companies in the same battalion.

Also, armor units generally used very few deuces since everything they tote around tends to be bulky and heavy. 5 ton and larger trucks have long been the vast bulk of armor unit transport.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks