• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are these wires and capacitor?!?!?

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and welcome to Steel Soldiers! I'm not sure what that capacitor is for, but you might get more answers if you post your question in the CUCV forum.
Good luck with your search.

JoeJoe_91

My bad, it’s a lil more to the left of the glove box. I’d just tape it up and leave it if it’s not broken. I forgot what the connector it’s attached to even went to, original fuel filter or something. I just cut all the other wires on mine since the connector isn’t hooked up to anything, I left the diode alone though. I’ll probably just shorten the length of the cord and tape it up when I wire it to my new fuse box. It’s a cluster **** at the moment, waiting on the fuse box.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeJoe_91

On a side note though, might wanna keep an eye on that fire hazard you still have hooked up (24v to 12v resistor). Most people get rid of it and hook the wire from the glow plug solenoid straight to the 12v distribution block, and some run a new wire from the GP solenoid straight to the battery with some type of breaker about 13” from the battery. I caught mine in the nick of time, one of the eye lugs connecting to the resistor was rusted in half about to fall off at any moment, I never would have known because you can’t see behind it without taking it off the firewall. Just a tip, in case you haven’t had the truck long.

Attachments

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a side note though, might wanna keep an eye on that fire hazard you still have hooked up (24v to 12v resistor). Most people get rid of it and hook the wire from the glow plug solenoid straight to the 12v distribution block, and some run a new wire from the GP solenoid straight to the battery with some type of breaker about 13” from the battery. I caught mine in the nick of time, one of the eye lugs connecting to the resistor was rusted in half about to fall off at any moment, I never would have known because you can’t see behind it without taking it off the firewall. Just a tip, in case you haven’t had the truck long.
Never new of or heard of a fire hazard from the OEM 24v to 12v resister. Both my trucks are still hooked up stock and I still sleep soundly at knight.

MarcusOReallyus

On a side note though, might wanna keep an eye on that fire hazard you still have hooked up (24v to 12v resistor).

Stop spreading disinformation. It's not a fire hazard. Poor connections are fire hazards.

If you have a legitimate reason for bypassing the GP resistor, state your reasons without inflammatory and false statements.

MarcusOReallyus

Chuckanut, there's a good description of these diodes (and the capacitors that are sprinkled around the truck) in the "Helpful Threads" sticky at the top of the CUCV forum. Good stuff, you should read it. There are a few known problems that can be caused by them. The diodes and capacitors are there to suppress radio noise. Unless you are planning on spending time monitoring the battalion admin frequency, you probably don't need them.

JoeJoe_91

Duly noted, my apologies!! I was only trying to help him real quick, I wasn’t too far off about the diode and I was told by one of y’all well known members about the resistor back when I got the truck. I’m not completely wrong though, he should at least take it off the firewall to check the wiring. I will not post comments on anything I don’t know anymore, I just didn’t want everyone to tell him to go to the TMs or Sticky’s. Sorry for the F word, and the misleading information!!!

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can have trouble jumping from the nato slave and low glow plug voltage if you bypass the resistors. They are there so the glow plugs can get a good burn when jumping from slave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks