• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are these

IMAG0375.jpgCan anyone tell what these items are and were they go on the Dodge 230 engine. I torn the engine partly down but I have a machine shop complete the tear down and then reassemble the engine. The guy who put the engine back together couldn't remember were the parts came from either:mad:
They are about 3/4" thick and are made of spring metal 2 are alike with the third having the double lips

THANKS

dmetalmiki

Well if they are "spring(y)" They look like they Clip into or under something. If no holes for bolts, I would look at an exploded view of the engine. (sump?) Curios..keep us up to date. And see who solves this weeks >puzzle<

I have looked at several exploded views but the parts are so small that the views don't show them. I know these engine are basic and that's why I can't figure out were I saw them in the engine

GUNNY 155

I tore my engine down and took the parts to the machine shop. When I got it back I did the work of putting it all back together. About all the help I can give you is to say the parts pictured are not anything internal. I would venture a guess that maybe they were some type of clips for holding wiring in place. Are you running all mil spec gear on your engine. Is your engine an actual military engine? Look at the serial number on the block. It should begin with T245.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not 100 percent sure, but could they be baffles for the oil drain galleries to the crankcase.

Frank

Thanks for all the replies. The engine is military because it has the oil pressure relief system which I understand the civilian engine doesn't have. I do have another M37 but it is 10 years younger that the one I'm working on. I have taken off the head and removed the oil pan but I need to take off the oil pump to finish removing the pan. I still haven't seen anything like it either.

Again Thanks to everyone for the help to figure out what the parts are

Elwood1968

Roller is correct. These are oil drain baffles and they go in the tappet galleries, behind the stamped steel covers with the thumb screws. The hat points up, into the tappet gallery.

100_7217.jpg

I'm not certain if these are unique to the T245 engine (which is pictured), but I can't find them in the either the ORD 9 SNL G-741 of Jan 1954 or the TM 9-2320-212-34P of Apr 1972.

Last edited:

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Elwood, it's been 20 years since I rebuilt one of these engines and I vaguely remembered them.

Frank

TGP (IL)

Thanks for all the replies. The engine is military because it has the oil pressure relief system which I understand the civilian eng. don't have. I do have another M37 but it is 10 years younger that the one I'm working on. I have taken off the head and removed the oil pan but I need to take ine doesn't haveoff the oil pump to finish removing the pan. I still haven't seen anything like it either.

Again Thanks to everyone for the help to figure out what the parts are
All 230 flatheads have an oil relief system(valve).
Tom

Roller and Elwood1968
A big THANKS:grin: for the picture and information on the baffles. I don't remember them being like the picture but I will install them like the picture shows. I have another M37 an have been tearing it down to try and find the clips

Tom
I'm not sure about anything on the 230 flatheads other than I have one in my M37 :roll:, but I was told this by someone who has worked on these engine.