• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are things to look for in a engine to rebuild ?

kabar1

Your not sure what your getting then also though right? Found a hummer motor for 1100 that's running , I've been looking at the classifieds on here. Not sure if it would b cheaper to rebuild or find a running engine , a good running engine .

tobyS

What do you want it for?

If you do a rebuild, have the crank, rods and pistons balanced. It's not a normal part of a straight rebuild, but it pays off in smoother running at higher RPM...which is a function of horsepower.

kabar1

I need a motor I've got a bad block not sure if I should rebuild one or get one of those hummer motors, not sure if the hummer motor will drop right in??

eagle4g63

A little too late now, but a good thing to keep in mind. If the motor has low compression a quick check can give you insight on it's shape, you can pull plugs and put motor oil down the plug hole, turn over the motor and see if compression jumps back up(if so rings are going) if not than it is in the heads.....if the motor is known to not have a bad head gasket than the valves are the culprits of the low compression. Another thing to know is how the oil pressure was, if still pretty strong than a good chance the crank is in good shape along with other bearings. These things can help tell if the motor is worth a rebuild without having to tear it all apart and have it checked......especially if it isn't yours and you want to buy it.

If it ran and didn't knock, just had low compression it is usually a good motor to rebuild. Like said go all out and go over everything if you are going to rebuild it. Make sure to have the heads reworked and replace bearings in everything. the block can be honed if it isn't bad and new rings put in or you can have it bored and oversize rings installed. With a rebuild you will know exactly what you have when done, with a can motor you can only guess that it was put together right if you can't hear it run. Just food for thought.

MarcusOReallyus

The military has big containers for shipping complete engines. They are metal, I believe. All set up with a built-in stand to hold the engine, and hoist points, and (I think) slots for a forklift.

So, when you buy an extra engine like that, it's an engine in a can, or, a can engine. Like the photos below.

From what I've read on this site, buying a GL can engine is a roll of the dice. You can get anything from freshly remanufactured to .... scrap.

Attachments

tobyS

My guess is they put the old take-out into the same "can" container and some of what GL is selling is the old engines.