• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are you using to seal up the turret cover?

spankybear

I see the TM calls out a aerospace polysulphide sealant to seal around the top and screws. I was wondering what you people are using?

Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I use loads of silicone. Around the hole before I put the cover on. Around the bolts before and after I tighten them down. Around the lip. I remember that aerospace sealant. You had to mix the tube by hand and it took a long time. We used it on aav and lav antenna installations.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nylon or other 'smashy' washers under the bolts will seal those. I had a persistent leak and it was a bolt leak. Drove me crazy to find it. The plug is sealed with DOW U-428 windshield sealant because I do not intend to ever remove it.

spankybear

So far I have ordered some foam strip from Mcmaster Carr. Its as close as I can find that matches the stuff called out in the TM. I ordered some copper crush washers also from McMaster Carr. I agree that there could be a leak from the screws. I picked the copper crush washers because 1) they should make a good seal between the surfaces. 2) stronger than plastic and 2) they have a smaller outside diameter than the head of the screw. Theory is I can get some type of sealant under the head of the screw. Maybe overkill but I DO NOT WANT THIS TO LEAK! I did a lot of rust repair.

I am also going to install a windshield. I have been looking and I think I am going to use 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound around the gasket where it meets the body. Again I do not want leaks. But I do want to be able to replace it if needed. Big flat up and down windshield is gust screaming to a rock crack. Links to st stuff I have ordered .

I am looking around to to see that type of sealant people have used on the around the edge and screws. I would love to use the stuff called out in the TM but it's a pain. I even used the stuff at work but unlike what Suprman used it comes premixed and frozen at -60° F and needed to be used within 2 hours.

Badmiker

Anyone actually just patch up the hole with a new steel blank welded in? Like bodywork. I've done it with removing an aftermarket sunroof on a VW. Patched, skimmed, primered and painted. Just thought it would be a good way to eliminate the honking great hole in the roof.

Sent from my Mi 10 using Tapatalk

HotTubTimeMachine

My cover was leaking through the factory flat sealing strip. The way I parked was allowing a small pool of water to build towards the back of the cab and that is where the original real was overlapped and allowing water to go between the seals like a labyrinth.

I went with a spool of neoprene O-ring and made up two pieces. Each either side of 4 ft diameter. One on the outside and one inside the bolt pattern.

Seals great but highlighted other leaks in the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used 1" thick, closed cell phone tape about 1" wide as well. Ran that all the way around and overlapped with a bit of silicone in the gap to ensure seal. Put a dab of sealant on the bolts as well. Has not leaked since. Incidentally, it had the original 1/4 thick rubber strips with matching bolt holes in it, that leaked terribly.

Third From Texas

Anyone actually just patch up the hole with a new steel blank welded in? Like bodywork. I've done it with removing an aftermarket sunroof on a VW. Patched, skimmed, primered and painted. Just thought it would be a good way to eliminate the honking great hole in the roof.

Sent from my Mi 10 using Tapatalk
I'm planning to welding mine shut and doing some filler before I sound/heatproof the cab and build my upper console.

Kemper

After lots of research I used 3M 740 UV. Paintable sandable and extremely durable.

I "wet set" into a bead then sealed the recess around the cover as well as the new 316 ss bolt heads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks