• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can a Multi-fuel run?

thirdstreettito

Here is the list I have so far:

Motor oil
ATF
Hydraulic Fluid
Gasoline
Diesel
Kerosene
Refrigeration Oil
Vegetable oil

What else can be run? Shortening? Gear oil? I want to buy a deuce, but I want a list of EVERYTHING it will run.

Thanks, Bradley

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If it's a liquid and it burns, add it to the list

Just remember, just because it will burn it, doesn't mean it should, or will for very long.

hwcurtice

I wonder if it would be easier to have a list of what it should not burn.

Might be shorter.

Straight Gas
Aviation fuel (says so right on the data plate)
Lacquer Thinner ( I heard this from Wreckerman)

What else?

Like the guy said, just because it can, doesn't mean you should. While you can buy replacement engines, they still ain't cheap!

This is just from reading posts through the forum too!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Laquer thinner is not a good idea (ask me how I know).

Anything that has an astringent quality (solvent effect) will clean out the fuel tank and system causing fuel filter clogging until the system is cleaned out.

Any dry fuel (gasoline, kerosene, JP-8, etc.) will need oil added to it to to lube the injector pump.

Vegetable shortning might work in very hot weather if cut with gasoline but would thicken up and clog the lines in cool weather. I'm not sure about animal fats.....might burn but could cause problems.

Some things should be burned as an emergency fuel only.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Aviation fuel (at least in the past) was 110 octane......the data plate meant it should not be ran as a primary fuel.

I got stranded at a military airport in Germany many years ago in a deuce...they had no diesel....just aviation gas.

An old crew chief put 30 gallons of av gas in the tank and then topped it off with 30 weight motor oil.....the old deuce screamed all the way back to Frankfurt but seemed to suffer no ill effects.

hwcurtice

I'm beginning to think Wreckerman knows more about the fuel requirements of a Multifuel engine than most of will ever dream of knowing.

Oh Sir, Please tell us about the lacquer thinner incident.

I heard it was kinda funny. Expensive, but funny...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Actually no deuces were injured in the Great Laquer Thinner Escapade.

I bought the thinner from a company I used to work for for a lot less per gallon than gasoline.

I cut it with WMO and veggie and it ran fine...but it did have a strong odor and there was questions about how it would affect rubber seals and the IP. The ratio of thinner to oil was small....I was basically using it to thin the oil down.

I sold the duece I was running the mix in and the new owner never had an issue (as far as I know) with the fuel system.

I used the rest of the thinner for cleaning parts.

I would use it again as emergency fuel.

hole

I've put gear oil in the tank, but only 3-5 gallons per full tank at a time. No noticable effects yet. Moderation is my guideline.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if it would be easier to have a list of what it should not burn.

Might be shorter.

Straight Gas
Lacquer Thinner ( I heard this from Wreckerman)

What else?

Like the guy said, just because it can, doesn't mean you should. While you can buy replacement engines, they still ain't cheap!

This is just from reading posts through the forum too!
After my FL Rally Learning Experience I can assure you that they don't run on water.

ralbelt

Our instructor many years ago in wheel vehicles mechanics schoo lsaid it will burn most anything, even butter milk or Jack Daniels, but to call him before we put in the Jack.

austinaubinoe

**** now Im thinking about how many 5 gal buckets of motor oil/ ATF/ gear oil Ive taken up to my local BP for recycling!

Picking up a 1972 Deuce with a winch this saturday! My first Military Vehicle and I am SO excited!

3dAngus

The multifuel sure seems to be an amazing engine to burn all it will burn.

Has there ever been any stats as to reliability when burning some of these near sludge fuels, like WMO? Seems like there would be some buildup in the cylinders, especially if not fully filtered. I was just wondering if the long term reliability would be hampered any. Any mechanics out there tearing these engines apart for a rebuild and seeing anything out of the ordinary?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks