• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can an M35a2 Tow

jfnemt1ff1

IMO I have towed my Goat with my M35 w/towbar all over the place. Longest was about 1000 miles. I place trans, transfer case in N. Air up tires to 40 psi. and it rolls great. Had people behond me and it pulls fine w/o doing anything to the steering. You wont even know thats its there.
John

tm america

what will a deuce pull:roll:thats a loaded question it is rated at 6000lbs without a cdl limits you to about 12500.but safely with working trailer brakes is somewhere around 20000.but nicely is more like 12000-15000 so its not deccelling to much in hills and head winds i pull my expadible with mine which is around 17000 did it without trailer brakes didnt stop to bad .i would put the goat on a trailer for the sake of being easier on the goat

rmgill

Don't the older -10's rate the Deuce at 10,000 lbs towed load capacity?

[edit]
Yep. The 209-10 manual has a Towed load of Highway 10,000 lbs and towed load Cross country of 6,000 lbs.

Last edited:

dragonman

what will a deuce pull:roll:thats a loaded question it is rated at 6000lbs without a cdl limits you to about 12500.but safely with working trailer brakes is somewhere around 20000.but nicely is more like 12000-15000 so its not deccelling to much in hills and head winds i pull my expadible with mine which is around 17000 did it without trailer brakes didnt stop to bad .i would put the goat on a trailer for the sake of being easier on the goat

I pull two grain wagons to the coop that weigh 50,820 loaded with 907.50 bushels of corn and 10,280 empty. One wagon has brakes.
The deuce with its three axles starts and stops the load better than my John Deere 4020 which weighs about the same as the deuce

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its a pig IMHO as far as towing is concerned. Stay off any well traveled roads and avoid all hills.

Irv

The data plate on a M35A2 says 10,000 pounds on road. If you run heavier and get into an accident, you may well find that your insurance company won't know you, since you clearly violated the manufacturers specs. I think the reason for the relatively low tow weight is two-fold. One, the pintle hook is only held on with one nut, as opposed to big rigs that have a beefy 4 bolt hookup. Two, the pintle hook is located very far behind the wheels, as opposed to a dump truck, let's say. If you dynamite the brakes, your towed load will lurch forward and downward onto your pintle hook, thereby raising your front wheels off the ground, potentially. Not a good thing. On a dump truck, the pintle is hugged up tight against the rear pumpkin, so downward force on it creates far less lifting force on the front of the truck. Irv

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Like Frodo, I have also towed a large trailer with a dolly behind the deuce. It is slower, but as long as the trailer/towed truck brakes work you will be ok. Just give yourself lots of stopping room and be careful.
Can you tell me more about this setup? That'd be the way to go for the next rally!

spicergear

It's not rated to pull as much as a Mog. :mrgreen: See this little number outfitted with rail gear: 300 tonnes up to 18% grade. That's over 661,000 lbs. They made these units with 6 and 8 speed manual transmissions with torque converters. Not pretty, but who needs to be pretty when you're dragging rail cars. A buddy of mine has one that was used in the NY or NJ Port Authority for moving subway cars. He stripped off the massive amount of extra weight in all the rail gear.

Attachments

spicergear

He sold the rail gear. The Mog in the pic has the rail wheels and associated hydraulics for it but doesn't show the front and rear rail couplers my buddy's had. Wow was that impressive the amount of weight they had on them. I saw one at Penn-Hazel Equipment one time with full rail gear and a friggin crane on the back. It had to be loaded to double the empty vehicle weight.

big block 88

other than draw baring our other duece and 109 vans we have never really towed anything but they perfrom very well on draw bar pulls.

It really comes down to the indidual truck, some of our trucks will hold 55 on a hill with the 109 vans and other can't barely hold 35 on the same hill on the same day.

bulldawg

The only street legal truck I can think of that could handle the weight and "hitch" weight would be one of the big TATRA's. Chipper would follow like a puppy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled an 818 with my Deuce, no biggie. I've pulled 16,000 with my 1500 Dodge.

Deuce and 105 loaded.

;-)

RAYZER

I pull this thing all around with my deuce tractor, the trailer weights about 10,000 lbs now with everything I've added and the trailer brakes work good.
4500 miles logged on pulling this trailer now!uploadfromtaptalk1388720084872.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks