• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What causes this brake system failure...?

LiqTenEXp

:ditto: on oiling the airpack. Especially in cold weather. Pop out the plug on the rear or in my case the j pipe and shoot in some airtool oil. Should at least keep the piston moving. Should probably do this 2-3 times a year.
Just my 2 cents.
C.T.
Is there a portion of the TM that shows this procedure being done? Sounds like a good idea.

ctmustang

Do not put motoroil in the airpack. Petroleum will attack the seal. Use airtool oil or pull the can off and use silicone on the inside of cup. I wander if he has some trash floating around in the MC and clogging up the port-I have had this happen to me.

dunner98

I don't know if you fixed this yet but same thing happened to my m35 I ended up pulling the air booster and took it apart and the piston return spring was brooken so if you didnt fix it yet I'd say you need a new spring

LiqTenEXp

well, my master cylinder seems to be the main problem right now. I have a replacement sitting here waiting for the snow to go away. Once that is replaced if all is well then I'm done. I inspected and lubed the air pack and can't find anything obviously wrong with it. Theres really only two parts to this braking system. Once the MC is replaced I will surely know if the airpack is working properly or not.

LiqTenEXp

Sticky pedal problems were fixed with a new master cylinder. I still kick locked out of the brakes and sometimes get "kick back" into the pedal. I also noticed some air is leaking from the back lid of the airpack. I ordered an airpack rebuild kit.

Problem 1/2 fixed. I will continue to update as things progress.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it looks like no one really knows how the air pack works.......... with the air piston frozen, you will still have
brakes, just no boost. the only possibility here would be a frozen line between the primary mc and the
air pack, or a frozen hyd piston in the air pack. in any event, it would now be a good idea to flush the brake fluid and drain and blow out the air lines just to be sure it's fixed.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not being a smart ass, but the times when I experienced going from brake boost to no boost, the feeling was a rock hard pedal.

Had more to do with the sudden change than the actual apply pressure.

Will the Op please chime in on this?

Rick

LiqTenEXp

What I get right now is a few good brake pushes and the pedal slowly starts working its way up higher and successive pushes result in less braking. This will go till about 5 or so pushes when the brakes don't function at all, the pedal won't move at all, and there is some air leaking from the back of the air pack. Once that leak stops the pedal will go down fully again and the cycle repeats.

IMA944T

Being new what does the air pack look like and where is it. But there is a square plug that needs to be removed to lube it? And how much air tool oil do I squirt in?

jwaller

Being new what does the air pack look like and where is it. But there is a square plug that needs to be removed to lube it? And how much air tool oil do I squirt in?
it's mounted to the master cylinder on the back and should use an ounce or two at most. 1-2 times per year.

some have said their trucks have an allen head plug but it's all the same. remove plug with air on truck bled down and squirt it in.

LiqTenEXp

Brakes are great after replacing the MC and rebuilding the air pack!!!

The feeling of being locked out of the brakes was definitely the airpack. The other problem i had was slow pedal return, that was the master cylinder. I replaced that also.

Rebuilding the airpack was totally worth it. Mine was in great shape without any scoring internally. It was a definite candidate for a rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks