• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what color is this???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like Federal STD-595B color 33446 Deset Tan.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please DO NOT CROSS POST the same question, in multiple forums. Please read and follow the site rules.

greenjeepster

It is most likely what ever color the owner of the truck found at walmart that looked close to desert tan. Note that the canvas does not match the color on the truck..... suggesting that the owner really didn't care what color it was as long as it was tan. Any reputable paint seller could have color matched that canvas perfectly.... suggesting that this paint did not come from a a reputable dealer:wink:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck in the pic ISNT painted CARC 686A Tan.. Looks like some civy "looks kinda the same" color.

FYI.. No civy paint looks exactly in color and texture liek CARC. Only CARC looks exactly like CARC. No matter who says it matches.. Once you compare the 2 side by side, you'll see.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you could call Boyce, and ask them what they painted it with.:idea:

Unforgiven

Can I ask a question for the experts? Is every M35 in existence covered in CARC paint? That's the cancer-causing stuff right?

Can you tell by my avatar if my truck has cancer-paint?

emr

U need to do ALOT of reading here in past posts, u will find out what u ask, carc is no more dangerous than any other paint, And yes the military paints there equipment in carc, and they are not dying of cancer.

Unforgiven

Yes, but I've seen many adds on Ebay and elsewhere where the owner advises to not sand or grind the paint. I was just curious if EVERY truck was the same or if some were painted with special paint while others had regular paint.

When I search past posts I get 12 sides to every question. Yes, no, maybe, sometimes, flip a coin ...

Maybe this forum should have a special "Newbies Questions" section where seasoned experts can answer our questions.

emr

The answer is yes, all tactical vehicles are painted in carc, that is a fact. Torching, sanding and breathing this is dangerous, just like any other paint, i have a few bultetins from uncle sam that say after the gulf war 1 , studys were done because of course people got sick and blamed the trucks, it is 100 percent false, Painting and body work require the same safety measures that should be performed at all times in any body shop, a quality resporator. and skin protection, all the stuff that makes common sense is needed here, carc is a cancer causing agent in the lungs. so are other paints. There is actually water base carc now i have a few gallons from the shop here. Never a problem asking, and glad U checked, I think the reading of past posts just helps get more info to the user, sorry if i sounded with a fast answer, Do not be afraid of it, it is harmless , like any other material U need to get it air born to be a problem and then breath it. that is what they are saying, most are just being careful when offering such advise.

emr

Also fyi... there are 2 tans...the current tan in theater is a sandy flat tan, arvoe has a very good one I have it on a deuce and it matchs the trucks i found in current tan pretty darn well....I have the current coalition symbol and 1100 michelins that would be correct for this war., the 1st gulf war the trucks were a semi gloss tan and smoother, i believe these are available in the hobby paints as well....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some exceptions exist. I bought 2 trucks out of Lavinia TN back in Oct 07 and neither had CARC. Somehow or another, they missed the spray booth. In my yard, 686A is a base coat for another color! LOL. If one wanted to get the texture of CARC in a non CARC product, you could add ground quartz.

5280M35a2

Unforgiven you took the words right out of my mouth. I am looking to paint my truck as well, where do you get that tan carc paint in the civilian world? If anyone has done a full repaint about how many gallons were needed. We have a sprayer and were told that it would not need sanded everywhere just where the surface rust is found, is this accurate? Thanks to all the vets helping us new to the MV world.:wink:

emr

I have to say the arvoe either to my poor paint gun and skills or it just looks like the late tan carc...just sayin, no one will know but U , ....:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks