• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What d30 12v glow plug

MKurtBenjamin

D30 novice looking to gain the mask of knowledge and enlightenment. Learning day by day. My Monster is an 86 D30 M1008 converted from 24v to 2 12v. What series of 12 v glow plugs should I be purchasing and from who?
When starting up in the mornings, glow light flash for 7/8 times. Won’t start. Leave and count 4/5 blink. Then I leave the key in starters for another 5 seconds works . Getting longer to start the truck in the morning. Do need new glow plug?

cucvrus

CUCVRUS Repair Projects | Page 6 | SteelSoldiers
Yes I would pull all 8 glow plugs and test them. The AC Delco 13 G will work with 12 volts applied to them. That is my knowledge since guys cut the wire from the 24Volt ballast and wire it to the 12 stud. But first I would get an eyeball look at the glow plugs and bench test them. Good Luck. Don't glow them super hot when testing them. They can explode and throw hot shards. Not fun. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

MarcusOReallyus

CUCVRUS Repair Projects | Page 6 | SteelSoldiers
The AC Delco 13 G will work with 12 volts applied to them. That is my knowledge since guys cut the wire from the 24Volt ballast and wire it to the 12 stud. B

That's true of a properly working system, as well. The resistor bank drops the voltage to ~12v going into the GP relay, and that's what is delivered to the GPs.

The only time that is not true is when one GP fails. In that case, there is more than 12v going to the remaining GPs. The voltage applied to the GPs increases with each GP that fails, thus speeding up the failure of the remaining GPs.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
D30 novice looking to gain the mask of knowledge and enlightenment. Learning day by day. My Monster is an 86 D30 M1008 converted from 24v to 2 12v. What series of 12 v glow plugs should I be purchasing and from who?
When starting up in the mornings, glow light flash for 7/8 times. Won’t start. Leave and count 4/5 blink. Then I leave the key in starters for another 5 seconds works . Getting longer to start the truck in the morning. Do need new glow plug?
To simplify things and for you not having a clue on how old or the condition of the original plugs are. You should use a $7.00 test light probe "see attached" to check if you have any blown plugs.

Just clamp the alligator clip to the positive post of your battery and then touch the probe to the glow plug tab. If it lights up that plug is still good. No need to do all the work by removing the plugs and bench testing them "Sorry Rick". If you have just one bad plug you can try replacing it with a new one. If you have 2 or more bad plugs you should replace them all. The old plugs over time build up a resistance in them and not burn as hot as new plugs. They will also take longer to heat the glow plug temp sensor which intern keeps the glow plugs burning longer and that can prematurely burn out any new plugs you installed .

13 G plugs are the original that GM used and work just fine. Some members suggest to stay away from the Wellman brand and nicknamed them Swellman for their issue of swelling and breaking. Other members including myself have used 60 G plugs "About $85.00 an 8 pack" but you have to replace the spade wire ends to a larger size to fit the 60s. I replaced mine in my 1009 in 2011 and they are still going strong.

Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks