• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What deuce configuration is best for me?

justinmcmillion

Hey guys, newbie here

My fascination with deuces all started when I saw a Bobbed deuce on 1400s, since then I have been researching and drooling trying to figure out what are the musts and what are the maybes. I've finally got some cash saved up and plan on purchasing one as soon as I pinpoint exactly what I want. I would much rather buy one close to what Im looking for because I don't have the time or place to work on it.

Let me start with listing what I plan to use my deuce for:

Cruising - 90% road use, driving to walmart, in town, leisurely weekend driving.

Looks - I want people to stare and wonder what it is (like i did the first time)

Size - I want people with 38s to shake their head while i drive by plus I want to emasculate my dads Dodge dually :cool:

Short trips - I live in WV and there are plenty of nice get away spots for hiking, scenic views, fishing, rock climbing, and camping

Camping - I hope to outfit the bed to be able to camp in it

Winter Driving - Although we don't have extreme winters it gets pretty bad here and regardless of the weather I have to show up to work. During my work commute last winter I pulled 9 vehicles out of ditches with my FJ cruiser. I like assisting others and would definitely use the deuce for this as well.

10% off-road driving - Lets be honest, the deuce is big... Most trails in WV are small and overpopulated with tree branches, a side by side would be much better suited for trail riding here. However I plan on seeing what it is capable of in some deep mud and on gas line roads.

Minimal Recovery - I have friends that THINK they have 44s... need I say more? Winch is a MUST

SHTF - Its a multi-fuel after things go south its the truck you throw your gear in when you need to relocate.

Here are the three options I am considering
Bobbed 8" lift and 53" tires
Bobbed with 1400s
Standard M35a2 with super singles and 395's

A winch and hard top is a must, for the Bobbers I Like the Trailer Beds with cargo covers.

I would be interested in hearing the Pros and Cons of each setup, as well as alternatives.

Thanks in Advance!

Justin

KsM715

If you weren't so far away I'd sell you mine. Its a stock hardtop with winch on stock duals, trailer bed and cover. I'd go with the 14's or 395's otherwise your looking at a lift and that will add to the cost and more untested things to go wrong.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Justin, for 90% road use I think you are spot on for considering a bobber. If you were going to haul loads sometimes I could see retaining an axle, otherwise the shortening and elimination of an axle lends better handling.

If it were me I'd pass on the lift and run the 395's or whatever tire fits without the added complexity.

Rick

Tlauden

They have m37 which look like little baby deuces! And then there are 5 tons. That's two of the alternatives ;-)

Remember, a bobbed deuce will have a smaller turning radius, i would imaging making it a little more trail friendly. A regular deuce with super singles just looks bad a$$ in my opinion. And I would go for a winch on any of the configurations ya go with, they seem rather handy. But you said about branches so just watch how high you do lift it if that's the route you decide to go.

If I were you get the stock deuce and drive it around a little, then find someone who will let you take a bobbed one for a spin, then compare the pros and cons and figure out what fits your needs best. Any route you go you will love and it will turn heads!!:grd:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I use mine the way you plan on using yours. I have a dropside truck with 395s, a winch, and an LDS motor. I also use the LMTV cargo cover with hemtt bows. Works pretty nice for my needs.

91W350

I have been driving a deuce on singled 1100 radials, they are not the monster tires you are after, but it sure drives and rides nice! They do not help the turning radius or trying to get out of a parking stall. It took me a while to get used to the tucked under the bed inline with the front tires look, but it is a nice drive! The rear hubs were flipped when I got it. I have no idea what the Kansas Guard has been using it for. If you were closer, I would say take it for a week or two and see how you like it. Glen

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, a bobbed deuce will have a smaller turning radius, i would imaging making it a little more trail friendly.
Tlauden, there is more than that!! I noticed that there is a characteristic off road where the pair of rear axles sometimes "push" the front wheels in a straight line while cutting sharply. Another word may be to say there is a lot of steering scrub due to a center axle. I do not have experience with a variety of loads, but perhaps weight in the bad may alter this characteristic.

Also others have reported that the truck steers more easily with a bobber and bigger tires. So there is more to gain than simply the turning radius!!!

Rick

hippiedude

What deuce configuration is best for me ...........OD .......But tan is cool ...................:grd:...:driver:...[thumbzup][thumbzup].................................... Tim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only you can decide what deuce config is best for you. Best for me would be a 6x6 with a shortened bed and a knuckleboom behind the cab. Dump bed, Norwegian air locking axles, one piece wheels with 395 MV/T tires. Would of course need a winch and hydraulic steering but I would also hide a hydraulic winch under the bed in the back and accessory hydraulic plumbing for hydraulic accessories such as saws.

justinmcmillion

Thanks for the quick responses I can tell my money is going to leave my pocket sooner than anticipated...

I think that the lift and 53s look the best! I am not concerned by it being to big to go off-road... but there was a valid point about it not being tried and true

I will not be hauling anything you wouldn't haul in the back of a Half ton pickup so I don't need the second axle for that purpose.

I think a good starting point would be a Bobber with the largest tires that clear without rubbing (1400s?) I dont think the 395s give it the stature I am looking for, however they do look perfect on a 6x6.

What are other cons of Lifting and 53s?

justinmcmillion

Glen thanks for the offer!

No power as in? Driving, pulling, offroad?

I've seen videos of a deuce with 73"s and it looked like it had JUST enough power to move lol

I'm pretty realistic and understand that the deuce will be limited to 50-60 mph. I'm fine with that, gives me even more reason to take the scenic route.

Even if it could go 70+ with 53"s the physics and kinetic energy alone scares the crap out of me...

I've got a Stage II Spec B if I feel like going fast :D

91W350

No power as in the stock 9.00 or 38" tall tire covered 59" with every revolution of the axle, a 11.00 or 42" tire covers 66" and a 16.00 or 52" tire covers 81" of ground with every axle revolution. When you step up that much in height, braking and power are killed. Potential top end soars though, too bad the tires will not hang with it and the exhaust temps would go over the moon. Glen

justinmcmillion

I went and looked at a truck that is an hour from my house.

It was bobbed using front springs (bolted) and had 1400 tires (49") on custom rims (Dayton wheels with deuce centers), rode in it and was pretty impressed with its power and road worthiness.

It is a hard top with heater and a m105 trailer bed.

Overall it was in decent condition, some light rust, fenders were rusted through in a couple places, it was missing both mirrors, the passenger side wiper and motor, and a hood latch. The seats need replaced and looks like it needs all new weather proofing seals.

I plan on going back to take another look at it, what should I really focus on this time? what questions should I ask?

It has the airshift transfer case, D turbo motor, no winch. Mileage was 44,xxx, dont remember the hours. I ask when it was rebuilt and when the fluids where changed and he didnt have an answer to either....

I really want a deuce, this one is close and is everything i want other than having a winch, just need some advice/direction.

I have the skill/ability to bob one myself, but finding the time to do it without pissing my neighbors off by junking up the yard is the issue...

Thanks in advance!
Justin

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the owner, DOES NOT have a answer for when the fluids were changed, I would pass on this truck, that answer tells you a LOT about the truck,
As far as WEATHER PROOF SEALS rofl:deadhorse:rofl

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

No deuce is weather proof. If he didn't know when the fluids were changed, that's the first thing he should have done. It is also a good chance to make sure there's no chunks of anything in the fluids.