• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did i buy

Moremph

I picked this up at an auction last week, The title said it was a 1975 amg with a multi fuel. I been doing research on it the plates on the dash say its a 725 i think but its obvious its not. It also looks like it has a mack engine. The engine photo is a filr photo i found but that is the same engine i have

Thanks for the help Travis

Attachments

Pinz25086

It sure looks like an old 2 valve Mack and if so, then it's not a multi-fuel. All Mack engines that I have seen were diesel except some very old (late 40's) which were gas. I had a 1950 LF that had a gas engine with a 1 barrel updraft carb! Ran good but god did it drink the fuel!

Wayne

AMGeneral

Yep,definetly a ENDT 673 Mack(if it looks exactly as the picture does) looks as if it is in a M54A1 w/winch cargo truck with the bed removed and a telephone pole lifting/hole boring setup installed in it's place.

looks to have 10 ton/bridge truck mirrors and early style power steering as well.

Nice Score!!

BTW,the first pic you have is a pic of the engine in my M54A1 I posted several years back.

Just FYI,if the turbo looks different than the one in the pic,Mack used 2 different turbos on the ENDT,the earlier one is the one pictured, and has a disctinct whistle,the later has a more rounded drive housing and isn't as loud,both produce the same boost and seem to spool up at about the same rate.

Last edited:

Moremph

I think someone did some swapping around with some vin plates at sometime to title this particular unit, The title def says that it is a 75 but it has to be older with the mack engine right. I will take a pic to confirm the engine i found your picture on here by searching mack, Thier is a dataplate on the valve cover that says thermodyne thats about all i can make out. Mechanical inline fuel pump, turbo above it with a passenger side fender intake with the two little shutoff valves on top of the valve cover and the same fuel filter as shown in the mack picture.

Umm yall will prolly be pissed on the price lol, It said engine runs rough and it was at a municiple utility auction, last truck in the pole truck line of about 30 or so trucks and everyone was wandering off to the trailers, Started out the bid at 5k went all the way down to 1k and i threw in a 1100 bid last second when i realized what was going on. Ended up getting it for 1210 with the buyers premium. Fired it up and idled fine but no power ran rough upon acceleration got some fuel filters for it cuz they were nasty and it didnt help so i got to prodding around and found a fuel shutoff on the pump that was half way on, opened it all the way and it ran like a champ the 30 mile drive home!! Blew a hyd line out on the boom first time i used it though!!

lol

Thanks Travis

jpekarek

The year on the titles are very often wrong. It's probably a mid to late 60's. Mine is titled as a '74 but it's a '67. When they make the leap from Mil to Civi there is not much effort put into making sure the titles are accurate.

AMGeneral

Evidently lots of the Mack powered trucks underwent rebuild in 1975,the 2 I have here also have a rebuild data plate on them dated 1975,usually municapalities just go by whatever date seen on any plate on the dash.

$1210 huh? Nice price for what looks like a decent truck,beware though,Mack parts are expensive if something in the engine goes out,Heck an injection pump rebuild will cost almost twice what the truck did!!