• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I find in the bottom of my MEP?

Toolslinger

So, while cleaning out the vintage crud in the bottom of the 802a, I came across these two items... I have no idea what they are, and while I'm not really concerned, I'm curious. I simply expect these are remnants from some prior repair that got dropped, or launched, and weren't easily found... That said, I'd take a look at whatever they're part of if I knew what it was.

2024-04-14 16.00.52 (Small).jpg2024-04-14 16.00.38 (Small).jpg

Ray70

Looks unrelated to your 802. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that anywhere in an 802 , unless it came from inside the fuel pump or something, that's one place I've never been... I usually pluck em' and chuck em' when they die, never opened one, not that I think you even can open a E1074, but perhaps the old cube pump comes apart??
Either way... chuck it and forget it.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, while cleaning out the vintage crud in the bottom of the 802a, I came across these two items... I have no idea what they are, and while I'm not really concerned, I'm curious. I simply expect these are remnants from some prior repair that got dropped, or launched, and weren't easily found... That said, I'd take a look at whatever they're part of if I knew what it was.

View attachment 921265View attachment 921266
Would those have come from the inside of a radiator hose?

Toolslinger

My first thought was actually ARI. I was in one from my Dodge Ram a couple decades ago, and while I don't recall the specifics, it called up that memory cell. Trash it is.
Do people find them of use on these machines? They never seemed to work well on the Ram.

Guyfang

Staff member
I never looked at it. Never. Changed the air filter IAW the LO.

No, thats not quite right. In Ft.Lewis, 1980, after St. Helens popped off, we looked every single day at our gen set ARI. Both on post and at Yakama firing range. Oil, fuel and air filters were changed every 25 hours. And we still lost equipment. That dust was finer than anything short of talcum power. 30 years after I left Washington, I still found dust in my record collection. It ruined all the L.P.'s I took to the states.

Guyfang

Staff member
The 9th Inf. Div. was for all intents and purposes, NON-OP. And not just a few weeks.

My contact team at Yakama Firing Range had to turn in all their gear, trucks, test equipment and the whole 9 yards, to have it compleatly overhauled. My NCOIC loved to drink a few beers and tell the tale of what happened. No matter how often I heard the story, I had to sit down and catch my breath. They thought WW3 had started. The Units around them just got in MOP3 and hopped in their trucks and hooked. They left everything they owned behind, including weapons.

2Pbfeet

It is such an angular glass/silica that it looks like a demon abrasive

I have been told that it aggregates on jet engine blades.

I can't really imagine the scale of the eruption, though I saw pictures at the time, and have been by it since. By geological records for the area, it wasn't even that big. To me geological scale is just a whole different ball game.

Out of curiosity, did any of the equipment have oil bath air filters on their engines? If so, did any of those engines fare any better?

All the best,

Peter

Toolslinger

I had to work up a system to grind a crystaline compound down to the single digit micron level. It took running it in liquid nitrogen, and then in to a liquid nitrogen cooled hammer mill. I managed to get there, and then sub-micron, but the dust in the exhaust was a nightmare... Since it was just an experimental run, I couldn't spend the cassh to get a crazy removal system... Amazingly, a Dyson vacuum actually managed to clean it up. Granted, I don't think it would have survived all that long, but it worked for the month long trial... When you get down in those sizes, it's just amazing where it gets to, and through.

Guyfang

Staff member
It is such an angular glass/silica that it looks like a demon abrasive

I have been told that it aggregates on jet engine blades.

On 24 June 1982, the route was flown by the City of Edinburgh, a Boeing 747-236B registered as G-BDXH. The aircraft flew into a cloud of volcanic ash thrown up by the eruption of Mount Galunggung around 110 miles (180 km) south-east of Jakarta, Indonesia, resulting in the failure of all four engines. Partly because the event occurred at night, obscuring the cloud, the reason for the failure was not immediately apparent to the crew or air traffic control. The aircraft was diverted to Jakarta in the hope that enough engines could be restarted to allow it to land there. The aircraft glided out of the ash cloud, and all engines were restarted (although one failed again soon after), allowing the aircraft to land safely at the Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in Jakarta.

The engines were considered a total loss, and wrote off.

I can't really imagine the scale of the eruption, though I saw pictures at the time, and have been by it since. By geological records for the area, it wasn't even that big. To me geological scale is just a whole different ball game.

Out of curiosity, did any of the equipment have oil bath air filters on their engines? If so, did any of those engines fare any better?

By that day and age, nothing had oil bath anymore. The last gen sets with oil bath that I used/worked on were sent to the bone yard in 1975, or there about. In that environment, oil would have become mud, real fast.

The best air filtration system I ever saw on a gen set was for our 150 KW Patriot Turbine. It used an aircraft style centrifugal filter with about 70 venturi swirl tubes. The air intake volume of the turbine was "Impressive". The velocity of the intake air in the swirl tubes threw dust and foreign matter out to the side of the filter housing, where compressor discharge air ejected it downward out of the set. Sadly, the engine was a P.O.S. It was replaced in the early 90's.

2Pbfeet

Wonderful, simple tech. The M1 tanks use something like it.
I did wonder how the M1 coped with dust.

I came across one for pickups; 16 generators packed into a 3x5" air intake, for use in high dust environments.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks