• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I get myself into?

dw9339

After several weeks of trying, I finally won an auction on GL. There were a couple good trucks at Redstone, but several went for 3,500+! That was a tad over my budget. I ended up with one from Kansas, and I'll be eager to get it home in 60-70 days, when my EUC is approved.

The good news is that the truck starts, runs, and it has a hard top and winch. The bad news is that starting <> driving, there are some obvious rust spots, and the description from GL is not very descriptive. I'm leaning towards putting this on Uship to avoid the 600 mile drive from Kansas to Austin. Once it is in Austin, I'll ask my mechanic to take a look. I'd like a new coat of paint and a cargo cover, so maybe I'll watch ebay for the cargo cover for the next several months. My goal is to have a functional vehicle with troop seats in the back and a cargo cover for the neighborhood Fourth of July parade.

Since I am a 100% city kid, I am now a little scared about what I'm facing. So, new friends, I kindly ask that you take a look at my acquisition and tell me (from the 18 pictures in the ad) what you think is in front of me. Can anyone tell from the pictures if 1) the engine needs attention (looks like there could be some kind of leak on the top), 2) is this a turbo, 3) does it look like the troop seats are already in the truck? Anything else?

2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

Thanks for the help!

baxter

DW welcome to the always exciting and never dull hoby of MV's. Truck looks good no obvious wheel cylinder leeks.The oil on top of the motor seems like they all have some leeks around that area.Yes it is a turbo. The troop seats are the brown racks in the back, Enjoy the truck good luck.

Vaughn

WyoDeuce

Pay a little extra and have it shipped. It is worth it to have it home to work on it. Looks like a turbo. It also has an air shift front axle. The leak doesn't look bad. Easy fix, probably the breather gasket. Missing the light swithes. (oval hole left of steering column.) The stake sides are troop seats, the older wood kind. (not fiberglass) Good Luck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Answer 1...normal engine slobber...not a concern if ya mean the top of the engine.

2...yes

3...yes...the troop seats are folded up...the supports are clearly seen in the pic.

Also, I agree with getting the truck hauled home...too much can happen with an unknown truck.
I know lots of members love the sense of adventure recovering and driving MVs home, but personally I like having my adventures much closer to home.

Truck looks pretty darn good....congrats on your win and good luck!!!:driver:

mckeeranger

Since I am a 100% city kid, I am now a little scared about what I'm facing. So, new friends, I kindly ask that you take a look at my acquisition and tell me (from the 18 pictures in the ad) what you think is in front of me. Can anyone tell from the pictures if 1) the engine needs attention (looks like there could be some kind of leak on the top), 2) is this a turbo, 3) does it look like the troop seats are already in the truck? Anything else?
Actually, it looks like a pretty good truck at a pretty good price. Of course, without hearing it run and seeing it in person, that is just a first impression.

The engine looks pretty dry for a 40 year old truck. They probably cleaned it, so there may be some leaks that show themselves later, but the damp area on the valve cover just looks like a little seepage around the crankcase vent.

While you can't see the turbo in the picture, the piping from the air filter housing indicates there is a turbo down there. If there was not, the piping would not be dropping down below the intake manifold, it would be running into it.

It has troop seats, and they look like they are in fairly good shape. Looks like some sanding and a good coat of paint will take care of them. (they fold out of the side rails.)

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the site. :D

Stan Leschert

Welcome. Chevvytrucks normally posts this, but look at the top of this page. There is a section called resources. go in to it and look for:
Starter Kit for Deuces...
(right click and save as...)
TM 9-2320-361-10 (operators manual for Deuce (M35A2))
TM 9-2320-361-20 (Unit Maintenance book for Deuce (M35A2))

Download and read them often.
Getting the truck hauled is a smart idea, and once you have read the manuals, put a post up for one of us who lives nearby to give you a qiuck refresher course.

1) Your wrench basher will be more able to tell you the shape of the engine, and yes, do show him the TM's

2) Looks like a "C" or "D" turbo. Someone more familiar will be able to tell you.

3) Troop seats have been removed, only the braces are left.
WRONG! I screwed up. As the smarter guys have said, yes they are there, old style wooden, just stowed up. Sorry!

Good luck, and welcome in!
I like how you asked the intelligent questions. You'll do well!

Last edited:

wsucougarx

My assessment:
1) Spare tire needs to be aired up. It appears flat by the droop
2) Looks like good tires all around
3) Driver side tire looks to have
4) No heater
5) Need light switch, yours is missing
6) You have either a White or Hercules Multifuel engine
7) The wet spot on the engine is probably nothing more than the need to tighten vent tube bolts on top of the engine...no big deal
8) Definately has a turbo but unable to tel which one at that angle
9) Springer driver seat for that nice long drive
10) Wondering about the winch however, looks like they spooled the winch cable up too much (bent the top plate on winch) and the PTO instructions on the dash has been covered by masking tape for some reason...inop winch?
11) Looks like modification order on the brake vent has not been performed as I do not see the vent line by the air filter housing. No big deal, just need to do it when you get the truck
12) Looks like you have dropside deuce troopseats

All in all looks like you got yourself a nice truck!!!

dw9339

Thanks for the great feedback! I'm glad to hear the issues appear to be small.

From the pictures, I didn't notice the hole where the light switch should be, so thanks Wyo and wsu for pointing that out. I'll order one before the truck arrives.

Great comments about shipping vs driving. Picking up the truck in person sounds like fun; it's the drive back that worries me. Speaking of the drive, when I looked at GL locations that sold trucks, the closest were San Antonio, OK, and LA. But based on the number of bids on those trucks, it looked like there were lots of people in this part of the country who wanted to buy a deuce. I did some quick math based on what I saw here for shipping rates and decided I'd be better off paying less in Kansas and having the truck shipped a little farther. Once the auction was over, I had a momentary lapse in clear thinking and I wanted to reevaluate picking it up in person. But, it is probably better and safer for me to get it delivered straight to the mechanic.

Interesting comment about the tape over the winch instructions. Assuming the winch is inoperable, how difficult would it be to get it back working? Is this a situation where a couple replacement parts fixes the problem or is the solution a different winch altogether? I guess what I am asking is: how repairable are winches?

It also looks like there are a couple different opinions re: existing troop seats in the back. I guess I will wait and see what actually arrives. There are a couple listings for troop seats and a cargo covers in the classifieds but most are in the northeast. It is still better to have a location problem over an inability to find what you want at all problem.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To directly answer your question "what did I get myself into?", I quote a statement I read here on the site: "It does not matter how much you paid to buy the truck - what counts is how much you have put into it".

Buying one is one thing, but you have to remain honest about how much you need or want to spend on it, if budgeting is a concern.

I find that there is always a reason to purchase something somewhere "for the truck"; tools, parts, spare parts, fluids, upgraded parts - you do not have to think hard for excuses or very good reasons!

Lawrence of Arabia

I paid the same money for a similar condition truck W/W. I was lucky to drive it home 150 Miles.
However 1 of 3 trucks I was driving home did not make it. After my time, tow bill and having to go back and get it I wish I would have paid the $500.00 to have it hauled.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My assessment:
1) Spare tire needs to be aired up. It appears flat by the droop
2) Looks like good tires all around
3) Driver side tire looks to have
Mike's #3 comment got cut off, but I also noted an oil stain on the LF tire. Don't know if it is a leaking seal or brake wheel cylinder. In either case, I would not drive it far before checking it out. Since you don't have brake lights or turn signals anyway, you can't safely drive it on the highway, so shipping is your only option. By the time you get everything working, you will be intimately bonded with your new truck, and your wife/girlfriend (or both:p) will be jealous.

Flyingvan911

My deuce is at Ft. Riley waiting for the EUC to go through. I have a few friends who have them. They really are simple trucks. Everything on them is just big and heavy. Ready everything you can find about your truck. It seems intimidating but when you really look at the truck, it's not so bad.

scranch18121

Great truck. I also live here in Austin and will be recoverying a deuce I won last week out of Redstone. I was trying to figure out how to get it back to Austin and was looking at GVWR on my truck and trailer and it was going to be impossible to stay under 26k. Yesterday I was talking to a couple of people about it and after an hour of conversation found myself in the DMV office to get a book on a CDL license and see what it was all about. Well here I am 28 hours later , 5 written tests, 1 road test in my F350 and 30' gooseneck, and am the proud owner of a CDL license. So now I will be able to recover my deuce as soon as I get my EUC back. (last one only took 5 business days). My truck appears to have new seats, new paint, new top, "starts and runs" (we will see about that), no winch.... but is a sweet truck. I will let you know how it goes..... (im sure it will be 50-50 miles per hour)

(4) M101a2
(1) M35a2 (Pending Pick Up)

velociT

Scranch, you didn't have to get a CDL... But congratz, I hate those tests.

For other members in Texas, you can get a Class B or A license without the CDL if you don't do it commercially (for a living).

If you don't haul for a living, all the CDL does it make it where you can't take defensive driving for tickets anymore...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks