• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I get myself into??

AttentionDeficit

Hello all,

Other than putting a M1009 bumper onto the back of my K30 or the odd military clevis on an old Jeep, I thought that I would never own a military vehicle. Then, due to one persuasive fellow in Ohio, I now am the adoptive parent to an M215 dump, a couple of M37s and too much other military crap to mention.

Over the next couple months I have to learn how to not destroy the M215 and M37s while transporting them here to to their new home.

The neighbors already fail to understand why two people, my wife and I, have 8 cars/trucks and a couple dual sport motorcycles (all junk to the neighbors!). Maybe the olive drab will help the newbies not to be noticed in the back yard...

So... please be patient my inevitable stupid questions!!!

I do not yet have any pictures of the MVs, but I can offer a few pictures of our other children, as I see that "threads are useless without pictures"!

Attachments

Last edited:

AttentionDeficit

If it really gets worse, what else has to go away? I am not willing to give up drinking beer/whiskey or any vehicles with a blower or big block. From what I understand from the previous owner, the MV community would frown on me "molesting" the MVs by installing such things as a 454...

This trailer work, or will the M37s be embarrassed to ride in an enclosed trailer?

Attachments

Last edited:

AttentionDeficit

That is a great looking Dodge.

I have bee a life long GM guy (and VW guy for cars), but only because once you have a stockpile of parts, it is hard to change. I imagine that if I owned reliable vehicles that do not require such a stockpile, it would be easier to switch allegiances.

What did you use to line the bed? Is it possible to get one of the spray/roll-in liners in OD?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from the Smitten Mitten,

Your in good company around here. Doghead is relatively close to you, he is a good source for parts and the like.

eagle4g63

I forget who it was that sold it, but yes you can get spray in liners in OD Green. I am hoping that this next summer I will get the bed of my deuce done. I've seen one or two with black in them and I think it is too much black.

If money happens to work out I may even go and have them spray the three color camo pattern in it.

Flyingvan911

Super, a M101 trailer would look really nice behind that Dodge. I have a friend who's fixed his M882 up really nice.

The first truck is just the start in the depths of MV addiction. I've had my deuce for little over a year and now I'm tempeted to buy a M105 trailer. Did I meantion that I have almost no use for the 105. It's just something I "need" to have.

joshuaz223

M37's are very heavy and tall. i hauled mine in my enclosed trailer but had to remove the top and fold down the windshield. where you at in cny there are a few of us within 1 hour of syracuse.

tsstout

bed liner addy I got from another post:
Truck Bed Liner

make them part of your family.. don't worry what the tight(umm)'s think.. they're your trucks...

after all... there are severely mutated trucks in this group, too.... a few mods won't even be noticed...

LanceRobson

Welcome to the herd.

I'm in Sennett, i between Auburn and Skaneateles as is Tank Lady.

Lance

EDIT:

doghead and dhwife are in the South Sandy Pond area.

There are likely 35 other MV owners in the area.

Check out http://www.ny-pennmvcc.com/

The local chapter is Easy Company. We'll be meeting on the forth Sunday in January (I think) and I'll post a date and location when I get it.

Last edited:

caliber1

Welcome AD. This is just the beginning....in the market for a trailer now too.

Super, a M101 trailer would look really nice behind that Dodge. I have a friend who's fixed his M882 up really nice.

The first truck is just the start in the depths of MV addiction. I've had my deuce for little over a year and now I'm tempeted to buy a M105 trailer. Did I meantion that I have almost no use for the 105. It's just something I "need" to have.
That was the wife's question when I told her 3 days later that I won the Deuce, "What do you NEED that for?", she then shook her head and told me that I work my arse off and if I want a toy to get one. Little does she know, hehehehe......

Thanks but I really can't take the credit for the paint. That was applied by the dude at Alfa Heaven who I bought the truck from. So far as I know, it's just simulated CARC paint.

I've had people ask me if I want a trailer for it to pull my crap; in fact, one of the people who works in DMRO at Wright-Patterson AFB told me it really needs a trailer to complete the effect (and he just happens to know where I can get one. 8) )

AttentionDeficit

Wow. It seems like this MV addiction is more widespread (and local) than I thought!

I live in Canastota, which is on the Thruway between Syracuse and Utica. I have seen a 5 ton on super singles around town, and knew of a friends "Uncle Jack" with a variety of MVs but...

Lance, is Tank Lady your wife? I ask because I am trying to figure out whether my wife will get more interested in the MVs once they are home. Luckily for me, she is an engineer who typically loves having and driving vehicles, with her current fleet being Honda S2000 (unnamed), a VW Golf (also unnamed), the "flamed" 71 Chevy Truck (Rescue), and a KLX250 (Cow Girl). Problem is, she really wanted a 66-77 Ford Bronco and I spent our money on these MVs. She readily admits that she "is just not that excited with them." Should I expect that to change once we get them home for her to drive or should I start saving and make room to restore a Bronco?

AttentionDeficit

DeucesWild,

Are we pre-programmed to claim that we have "too many" toys? Or is there really a limit to how many toys one can have. A cool bike, beautiful firebird and an M35 should hardly count as too many! Kind of like "too many beers in the fridge".

My problem appears to be trusting a mechanic. Until this year, I have always done everything on my own, and I tend to buy basket cases. I have a great shop and have had great teachers over the years, but I just do not find enough time. Then this year I thought, maybe I could pay a local shop to help with a few less complicated things. Well... I think that was more of a pain that it was worth.

I really wish that I could find a aspiring mechanic who is willing to: (i) learn (ii) show up every day, (iIi) put a little pride in whatever they try, and (iv) NOT STEAL ANYTHING in the process. I can teach the rest...

Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks