• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I just buy??? S-711 Shelter???

zen314

I just bought this S-711/TRC-179 non-expandable, electrical equipment shelter made by Gichner Shelter Systems. I have tried to find out information about this shelter, but have been unsuccessful thus far. aua It is similar dimensions to the S-280, but the weight is listed as 8200 lbs! Is this the empty weight or the maximum loaded weight? Can anyone point me to any information at all about this shelter? A Technical Manual would be ideal.

5411 - Rigid Wall Shelters at Government Liquidation

It is the only one of its kind I have ever seen on GL, and compared to the S-280's I've seen, it appears to be one of the nicest also. Thanks in advance.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUPER NICE!!! ....................but kinda pricey ain't it? Hate to see one with all
the goodies in it sell.......WOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!! LOL
popacom / BILL in KY.[thumbzup]

zen314

Yes, I overpaid...

Yes, I overpaid... but it is a long story, so try not to rub it in too much. I looked at some S-280's for $1k before I bought this one, and they were not nearly as nice. If this one is in the condition shown in the pics, I will be happy.

I have 2 other shelters (that were much cheaper, of course), and this one looks brand new compared to them. I just love the way these shelters are built - especially the door.

I am also hoping that at least 1 of the 2 A/C's works. Anybody have any advice on running these 3 phase units from single phase? And, can I expect all the refrigerant to be drained when I pick it up?

tm america

Great find...Looks like it is mostly set up as a camper already wow...i bet the weight is with all the electronics that would have been in there to...Those ac units are heavy to

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think you did too bad! That shelter is in great cond. and you get the over head heat/ac pumps AND the boarding ladder. I have seen just a basic 280's asking price @$3k.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Looks like it is still bolted to the shipping pallet.....it may have never been issued to a unit.

If so that seems like a decent price.

It would look good in the bed of a deuce or mounted on a bolster trailer.

That has GA Rally hooch written all over it.[thumbzup]

R Racing

You can go either rotary or static phase converter to run from single phase to 3 phase. The rotatry will handle more current and will have a longer life. Statics have come along way but have a tuff time if the load increases fast, And thats when things burn up.

zen314

Unissued - didn't think of that

I never thought that it might have been unissued - that would be a bonus, but I bet you may be right.

I cannot get the survivalebooks link to give me any useful info. Sorry for asking so much, but can someone give me a direct link?

And, does anyone have experience with the A/C's (ECU's) and the questions I asked above.

Thanks for the offer of the mounting hardware, but this unit will be going on the ground. Thanks for all the help!

zen314

You can go either rotary or static phase converter to run from single phase to 3 phase. The rotatry will handle more current and will have a longer life. Statics have come along way but have a tuff time if the load increases fast, And thats when things burn up.
I looked at both static and rotary. With the rotary, I am worried about additional noise (for my application, I would like it as quiet as possible), and the factor of more moving parts. But if rotary is the way to go for durability, I will do that. Any guess on sizing of the rotary phase converter for one of these 18k BTU units?

treessw

National Item Identification Number
01-270-3960
5411-01-270-3960
National Stock Number

Item Name
SHELTER,NONEXPANDABLE
Federal Supply Class
Description
A rigid, portable shelter designed for protection of personnel/equipment from the environment, and equipped for the capability of transporting by air, land, or sea. It may include leveling devices, lighting, electrical systems, and environmental control connections. For flexible wall shelters, see TENT; and Air Supported Structures. Excludes BUILDING, (as modified).

zen314

TM Needed

I think I know the number of the TM I need.
11-5411-215-14P

Anybody have a copy they could send me? It would be much appreciated.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With buyers premium and tax thats about 3K or so. Richard are the S-280's still available by you out of curiosity?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/C units will be drained. It's part of the law when they 'scrap' an item with CFC's in it. However, the refrigerant is most likely R-22, which is no longer being made, but is still much more readily available than F-12. A 9000 BTU unit will take about 18-20 ounces, while an 18000 BUT unit will take almost two pounds. Make friends with a heating and air conditioning technician and you should be able to get him to gas up your unit. Outside of the shelter should have some white square stickers stating "All CFC's have been removed per (whatever the law statute is)".

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Jim.......I was up at Redstone Monday and I went by a storage lot...not the GL DRMO lot but it looked like all the stuff in there was awaiting disposal......there were a lot of shelters in there...along with some big van trailers like I had at the GA Rally.

I have no idea when they will be sent over to GL but the next time I go up there I will do some snooping and pooping.

R Racing

Zen find out what Amp draw is at what voltage ? Also you can use a Isolation Transformer for noise reduction. And if thats not good enough add a few big Caps LOL . A friend of mine has been talking about the new digital converters and says he has seen a few in the feild that have worked well. Maybe do a little more digging in that direction ?

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks