• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I see?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Between Nashville and Memphis last week I saw four big green vehicles on the backs of low boys. They looked like a bigger version of the 4 wheel drive construction site forklifts as pictured below. The big difference is that instead of forks on the end, it had some sort of very large device on the front that may have been a wide mine detector. The device was about 10-12 feet wide and mounted to the lifting beam in the middle and looked like it might rotate. Any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

duncan

Yes, going with a reach stacker too, come in a ton of different sizes. If you see one of these stack some 40ft 30+ ton containers 4 high you cant help but admire the raw power of them.

Attachments

mudguppy

yes, that's what they were. they were a Kalmar make. we could only move them around w/ HETS. i used to have some pretty cool recovery pics - we had to right one after the DA driver flopped it on it's side while moving a 40'-er around too fast off road. we just used 2 HEMMT wreckers to right it.

the Kalmar VT240s are replacing the RTCH's. personally, though, a good RTCH operator can run circles around a Calmar just like a good M10A forklift operator can run circles around the variable reach M10000. they may have more "capability" but they have to be operated slowly.

here's a good pic i found in a second on the 'net: Kalmar VT240. better pics can be found...

Last edited:

mudguppy

what else is cool about those is that the cab can hydraulically shift all the way to the left side and down in order to lower the boom for transport.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks