• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice!

You've used it? I had a bolt(never looked at the grade) and it sucked to remove once bent!
It's been tested on the road and works perfect. It's at least a grade 8. Some are grade 10, but I don't have any of those.
I have installed Dexter FreeBack brake system on both trailers.
Allows me to back up a fully loaded trailer uphill and not activate the brakes.
The pin is in case the surge shock fails.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked for a similar hole in the 1101...nope
I don't have, or want a M1101/2.
Not sure how to block the surge action on that series trailer.

Do they have the FreeBack brakes?
Can you back up a hill/driveway with it loaded and brakes don't activate?

tobyS

Tinstar, that's a question someone else will have to answer. I'm still building on it and have not used it yet. It is a question I would like to see answered, I've wondered about that several times. That's why I went and looked.

tobyS

Will someone with an 1101 or 1102 answer why the brakes don't lock on when backing?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m101s don't lock on when backing.
Ditto, I have never had an a2 lock up in reverse.

Only time I had trouble was when I picked it up from red river and went to hot springs. The shock was worn out and did not like the mountains when stopping at incline ( hills to you'all) ~ anything bigger than an anthill for me is a mountain :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why? All you need is the surge brake assembly to put on the trailer tounge. I bet you could get a take-off for $100.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m101s don't lock on when backing.
If your M101A2/3 is loaded and you try to back up a steep driveway, the brakes will activate, if they are working properly.
Thats is the reason for the hole in the side of the surge assembly.
Empty and they will back up just fine.

Dexter, who makes a lot of trailer stuff for the military, has a brake system called FreeBack. Allows you to back up a fully loaded trailer and doesn't activate the brakes.

How does it work? I have no idea, but it does.
No clue what the brake assembly's on the M1101/2 look like.

The FreeBack brake assembly's are a direct bolt-on for the M101A2/3's with zero modifications needed.
Very easy install.

I bought brand new ones off eBay and saved a ton!

Worth every penny.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks