• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow!
Very Nice work!
How are you going to insulate it?

Love the tailgate step. You could make several and sell those. I want one.
For now just going to glue the foam insulation board to the inside. I painted one side light grey. Seafoam green would of been better but I had the grey paint and it seems to be a nice color.

The tailgate step was powder coated OD green. It stores by hanging it on the inside of the rear door. I'll see if the fabricators can make another one.

Some of the photos are during the ongoing fab work. Once it's completed I will snap a few more photos.

Just a note, don't leave the fabricators alone for a week, they come up with some crazy stuff.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the left side wheel opened up to inspect the brake drum and wheel bearing. A return spring for the top of the rear shoe was broken. Ran to Advance Auto and bought a large truck spring hardware bag and modified one of the general purpose springs to fit. Peace of mind gained in an hour's work. The brake and drum are spinning well now and I've got that wheel buttoned back up and will do the right wheel today and feel VERY good about towing her to the Graves Mountain Rally loaded with all my gear.

Bulldogger

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For now just going to glue the foam insulation board to the inside. I painted one side light grey. Seafoam green would of been better but I had the grey paint and it seems to be a nice color.

The tailgate step was powder coated OD green. It stores by hanging it on the inside of the rear door. I'll see if the fabricators can make another one.

Some of the photos are during the ongoing fab work. Once it's completed I will snap a few more photos.

Just a note, don't leave the fabricators alone for a week, they come up with some crazy stuff.
Do you have a build thread here on SS that I missed?

Ive seen a lot of these projects and yours is by far, IMO, the sharpest I've seen. No joke.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the left side wheel opened up to inspect the brake drum and wheel bearing. A return spring for the top of the rear shoe was broken. Ran to Advance Auto and bought a large truck spring hardware bag and modified one of the general purpose springs to fit. Peace of mind gained in an hour's work. The brake and drum are spinning well now and I've got that wheel buttoned back up and will do the right wheel today and feel VERY good about towing her to the Graves Mountain Rally loaded with all my gear.
Bulldogger
When I completely went through my trailers, on one the brake shoes were on backwards. On another, bearings were trashed on one side and looked new on the other side. That side was missing a major brake spring also.

I replaced everything regardless of how it looked.
Spindles and drums were in great shape. Drums were very rusted, but a trip through the turn machine and they looked new.

Now I have total piece of mind.

Its a good feeling knowing that the trailer is in top shape and can handle a long road trip with a heavy load.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went through the right hand wheel bearings and brakes. It was suffering from water intrusion, and the grease packing looked like caramel fudge. After cleaning it all out I decided to open the left side again, since I did it at night and thought maybe I couldn't see the color of the grease as well. The consistency in both sides felt greasy, but the color alerted me to water intrusion, is what I mean. So the left DID have some water problems, but was not as bad.

Anyway, cleaned all the bearings off and repacked with some moly-graph (this can has lasted me 10 years, and is getting low, I guess I'll buy another in 2-3 years!). Remounted everything and gave the insides of the cavities a nice coat of grease.

Feel much better about them now. I will need to replace the oil seals on the back of the drums I think, but figure it can wait until the next open and inspect, given how little I will use it. I expect the moly-graph to repel water better than the cheapo standard light brown grease that was in there.

Bulldogger

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was pretty hot here on Tuesday so I decided to drive my Jeep WK instead of my M1009 to work to have AC when I got off. Problem is the jeep was still connected to the M1101 trailer. The rent-a-cop at the base gate says, "Wow, cool trailer!" I told him thanks, and that they're free - they leave them all over the base. He laughed. I was half expecting him to warn me that I shouldn't do that, but he had a good sense of humor.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_6902.jpgIMG_6903.jpgIMG_6912.jpg

Something new to tow around.
NF2D FloodLight/Generator set.
Not sure to call this a trailer thing or not.

Not for highway I know, but tows better than expected.

Will be placing a SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) sign on the back so I can take it on the road.
It's considered a farm implement.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 697676View attachment 697677View attachment 697678

Something new to tow around.
NF2D FloodLight/Generator set.
Not sure to call this a trailer thing or not.

Not for highway I know, but tows better than expected.

Will be placing a SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) sign on the back so I can take it on the road.
It's considered a farm implement.
Wow, that brings back memories. I did many an early morning pre-flight by the light of those things. Don't sleep inside!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You and me both!!
Definitely puts out the light.
We had about 10 of these at our main airfield.

Been wanting one for years and kept missing them on GP.
Kinda rare on GP.
Finally snagged one from Red River Army Depot.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about finished with the camper. The idea was to keep it looking like a regular trailer from the outside. The generator cover has been painted green.
WOW!!
Just........WOW!!

Amazing work and I love the stealthy look....camper?...what camper??

j10jim

WOW!!
Just........WOW!!

Amazing work and I love the stealthy look....camper?...what camper??
I have to agree, WOW!!
Please tell us what camper or box or whatever. I am looking for a aluminum ARE top with dual back doors but after looking at this with the tarp over it, I really am interested. Details please....

Great job!!

Mos68x

Just about finished with the camper. The idea was to keep it looking like a regular trailer from the outside. The generator cover has been painted green.
That looks REALLY NICE!!! I might do something similar in the bed of my 927, at least until I do my ISO conversion

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree, WOW!!
Please tell us what camper or box or whatever. I am looking for a aluminum ARE top with dual back doors but after looking at this with the tarp over it, I really am interested. Details please....

Great job!!
Just removed all of the wood and boxed it out with aluminum. We did keep the bows to retain the original shape.

I really need to give credit to Kade and Matt. They are employees of mine that did the majority of the work. It has been a fun project for them. Now they want me to get a 5 ton so they can build a camper in the bed of it.

I did the design, painting and all of the electrical work. And the $$$ side of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is such a great design and quality work, that you could easily manufacture more of them and sell as a complete unit.
From people who have talked to me about my trailers, the interest is definitely there and guys with lots of cash and not enough time to build their own would love this.
I know several who would buy this in a second, if they were available.

I love the fact that it doesn't look like a camper.

Park this in Bass Pro or Cabelas, etc. and name your price.

Outstanding..........Simply Outstanding!

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is such a great design and quality work, that you could easily manufacture more of them and sell as a complete unit.
From people who have talked to me about my trailers, the interest is definitely there and guys with lots of cash and not enough time to build their own would love this.
I know several who would buy this in a second, if they were available.

I love the fact that it doesn't look like a camper.

Park this in Bass Pro or Cabelas, etc. and name your price.

Outstanding..........Simply Outstanding!
I have passed on the compliments to the two fabricators. They actually did bring up the idea of selling them. So maybe.....

Now they are eyeing the M1010, so I better hide the keys to it. These guys are very innovative and love to make things out of metal.

Thanks for the kind words!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks