• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went ahead and put some paint on her since the fire burned off most of the rear paint. She got a few new tires since then as well. Along with 13 rear lights compared to what i had before along with a set of strobes. Hopefully they will detour any future rear end collisions. I also mounted a camera under rear of the dovetail that feeds to the truck monitor so it will be an up close and personal video contact in the future.
Repainting only?
Did the steel not get so hot that it compromised it's tensile strength???

I know you pulled away before the major blaze but....
Just hoping nothing got weakened on you.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Repainting only?
Did the steel not get so hot that it compromised it's tensile strength???

I know you pulled away before the major blaze but....
Just hoping nothing got weakened on you.
It got hot chappie but mostly it was the hydraulic fluid in the lines below it burning. It got hot enough to slightly deform one wheel well hump which is the thinest steel on the trailer as it is 5/16 . The frame of the trailer it barely burned the carc off of it. The fire was centered below the dovetail so those cross angle iron beams took a brunt of it but they are 3/8 3x3 and they are fine. The M322 is a big big trailer. it is made of some steel. The impact on the trailer was hard enough to bend a 1/2" piece of 4x4 angle iron on the ramps but the lower trailer lip had a slight notch in it.

We did tape and angle check the rear dovetail of the trailer after the accident and everything was kosher. Plus they would not want to total that trailer out. According to the load king rep that trailer is around $67,000 to build.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Also i did some measuring for my next trailer project and that will be to add a lift axle to get rid of some tounge weight since there is 14 ft of deck in front of the axles it can make it a little too much sometimes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
EXCELLENT!
Your due diligence in checking those "silent damages" is indeed prudent.
The cost of replacement is impressive too. Bet you don't have that much invested in it, do you?
I paid 2600 for the trailer when it came out on Gov planet. They paid out a good bit on it when I filed my safety replacement claims. I didn't even charge em labor but those super single 425 tires are around 1200 each. Plus it burned up a new 16.00 and wheel on the tailgate. So yeah you can imagine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcusOReallyus

It got hot chappie but mostly it was the hydraulic fluid in the lines below it burning. It got hot enough to slightly deform one wheel well hump which is the thinest steel on the trailer as it is 5/16 . The frame of the trailer it barely burned the carc off of it. The fire was centered below the dovetail so those cross angle iron beams took a brunt of it but they are 3/8 3x3 and they are fine. The M322 is a big big trailer. it is made of some steel. The impact on the trailer was hard enough to bend a 1/2" piece of 4x4 angle iron on the ramps but the lower trailer lip had a slight notch in it.

We did tape and angle check the rear dovetail of the trailer after the accident and everything was kosher.
You can't measure the change in tensile strength with a tape measure. If it got hot enough to warp 5/16 steel, it got hot enough to reduce the strength of 3/8".

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't measure the change in tensile strength with a tape measure. If it got hot enough to warp 5/16 steel, it got hot enough to reduce the strength of 3/8".
Curious as to how you would go about determining the current tensile strength of a specific section of an assembled trailer? Having found this measurement, at what reduction of tensile strength would you consider that part of the trailer to be weakened enough to become unsalvagable?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess he used his tape measure to check for bending or racking mainly due to the severity of the impact. Just as long as the heat didn’t get to the bottom flange of the main beams fore of the axles, it will be fine for his peace of mind.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious as to how you would go about determining the current tensile strength of a specific section of an assembled trailer? Having found this measurement, at what reduction of tensile strength would you consider that part of the trailer to be weakened enough to become unsalvagable?
Barring a visit from your local metallurgist, you wait for it to fail.

For insurance purposes, maybe I would request that a portion be removed and tested? They might balk at the request, but when a 939 crushes the back end, you have a record of the request. A written “I told you so”

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It put a little concave in 5/16 steel that had a 28,000lb Gradeall sitting on top of it. Back of the trailer is fine. Worse can scenario is that the dovetail breaks off when loading something heavy if i dont have the legs down. The frame is 1/2" 6x10 I beam. With the rear having about 10 reinforcements to hold the dovetail on.

It didn't get hot enough to melt the reusable 0606 fittings on the hydraulic cylinders.

Last edited:

tobyS

picked up this CLEAN rebuilt M105A2, Green fever is hitting me hard
I like your trailer. Has someone extended it and put on A3 wheels with 14.5's? I'm doing the same wheels/tires when I get another M105? Have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks