• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

lonesouth

duplicate post, but it belongs here too.

Finished pulling off the painters tape and riveted the ID plate back on.

before:
19399773_10102297869158832_4666237566276339508_n.jpg

after:
after.jpg

Next I'll add the tail lights, get it registered as is, attach the generator, distribution panel, and fuel tank. Then it'll be for sale.

jhama78

Sprayed some rust converter on a few rough spots to preserve them until I get home from my next work trip. Planning to cut out the rust on the fwd bulkhead and replace with new metal. Also shot the wheels with a fresh coat of semi-gloss black that I had laying around. Finally got my new pintle and pintle mount plate in so it sits more level behind my Tundra and K1500.

86 M101A1.jpg

-j-rod

Another Ahab

Sprayed some rust converter on a few rough spots to preserve them until I get home from my next work trip. Planning to cut out the rust on the fwd bulkhead and replace with new metal. Also shot the wheels with a fresh coat of semi-gloss black that I had laying around. Finally got my new pintle and pintle mount plate in so it sits more level behind my Tundra and K1500.
-j-rod
Sounds like you're dogma a good job keeping up with the maintenance. [thumbzup]

The combination looks good, BTW.

RobM36A2

I have to admit i was a bit scared, but my sisters boyfried helped me with the soldering. He has a bit more experience with wires and solder.
Also, we did this outside, as we don't have a garage or so for cover.

Once i learned how to dismantle the big plug, I practiced first on another bad plug I had. That was a succes first try, so did the trailer plug.
Then, as a test, I pinched out one of the pins not needed for normal operation. And after re-inserting it, it was as solid in the rubber as before extraction.

So I went forward with labeling and cutting wires.
After that, I pinched out all the pins and with a very small torch heated them up to get the remaining wire and solder out.
After the arrival of my sisters boyfriend, we re-attached all the wires to the pins. A bit of teamwork was needed.
1 holding back the wires and operating the torch, the other holding the pin with pliers and inserting the wire.

After re-soldering we put all the pins back in their places. threading them via the backside and pulling thru with pliers.
Them we tested the connections 1 by one with a 12V source and a ground. Now everything works!
After wrestling the rubber back into the plug we did another test in the connector of my M1028. Still working great!

The small modifications we did:
-2cm of tape to hold the wires together where they exit the cable.
-Re-used as much of the sleeve of the cable, for a snug fit in the plug, also held in place with tape
-Put a smaller hose clamp on the plug, for better hold on the cable. (was 40-60mm, now 22-40mm)

tobyS

This might be a trailer candidate or sell. Home from GL (posted more pics in Auction won).

How would the tandem HMMWV wheels on Dexter axles go together with this bed as a trailer. I was going to replace the M35A3 bed and make a dump trailer out of it, even made a sub frame, but this bed might open some other possibilities. Ideas and identifying some of the stowage boxes appreciated.

Attachments

gottaluvit

This might be a trailer candidate or sell. Home from GL (posted more pics in Auction won).

How would the tandem HMMWV wheels on Dexter axles go together with this bed as a trailer. I was going to replace the M35A3 bed and make a dump trailer out of it, even made a sub frame, but this bed might open some other possibilities. Ideas and identifying some of the stowage boxes appreciated.
The drop down sides fit in the wide stowage areas. They only seem to fit with hinges on one side or the other. They are all back and forth. I marked the side of each slot that the hinge faces with an "H" to speed up the putaway for future stowings.

Another Ahab

The drop down sides fit in the wide stowage areas. They only seem to fit with hinges on one side or the other. They are all back and forth. I marked the side of each slot that the hinge faces with an "H" to speed up the putaway for future stowings.
That's a smart design.

What is the "drawbar" on the side all about?

191661650972-0.jpg

tobyS

Thanks AA. I'm surprised at how lightweight the sides and gate are. I was shocked at how much the govt. paid for all the bells and whistles on the LMTV bed. They surely drive the cost up and it looks like it will bend easier...much easier.

The rigid sides of the Deuce would make a better dump trailer, but I'm deciding to sell the Deuce, so won't change the bed out.

Another Ahab

Thanks AA. I'm surprised at how lightweight the sides and gate are. I was shocked at how much the govt. paid for all the bells and whistles on the LMTV bed. They surely drive the cost up and it looks like it will bend easier...much easier.
They're not aluminum are they?!

tobyS

No steel, with UHMW plastic .

That appears to be a stabilizer. There is one on each side that pulls out and has a pin to hold it at about that distance out. I'm hoping someone knows what the rest of it looks like.

tobyS

Oh...yes....sides are aluminum, I was thinking about the slide out tube, it's steel.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used my M1101 trailer to run and get 3/4 yard of gravel. $28 vs delivered for over $300. This thing keeps paying for itself.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got outside early before the heat to get the trailer unloaded. The latch design on the M1101 makes it difficult to drop the tailgate when there's a load pushing against it. :-|

Then I discovered a major error on my part- with the tailgate down a 2" gap opens between the tailgate and the trailer body, which means every time I rake gravel into the cart it's spilling through the gap onto the ground. I thought ahead enough to have a tarp under the gravel but it didn't occur to me to have it up the inside of the tailgate. I pulled the saw out to cut a 2X4 to fill the gap when I realized I could just take the tailgate off. Love the versatility of these trailers!

About the time I took the first picture I realized it might be a good idea to put the landing gear down in the back, just in case.

I also discovered another MAJOR advantage to going to get the gravel myself; I can rake it right off the trailer and let gravity fill the cart. If I had gotten it delivered I would have had to shovel it up into the cart.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I also discovered another MAJOR advantage to going to get the gravel myself; I can rake it right off the trailer and let gravity fill the cart. If I had gotten it delivered I would have had to shovel it up into the cart.
There's a quote about that somewhere, I think it was from Henry Ford.

That the quickest way to learn efficiency is by giving a task to a lazy person. No insult is intended here, it's really common sense, and Henry Ford (maybe it was Adam Smith, anyway whoever said it, knew so).

The lazy guy will figure the easiest way to get the job done.

Brilliant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks