• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

gottaluvit

Agree on the weight and mass of the M105A2.
That is a big heavy trailer just sitting still.
I wouldn’t tow it with my 06 GMC duramax.
Even empty that is a lot of weight with no brakes.
M105A3 would be completely different with its surge brakes.

Also Recommend finding a M101A2.
Perfect size and will fit your truck well and accept same 16” size tire and rim.
The M105A2’s were really cheap to buy but difficult to do much with unless you have a M35/M939 truck.

AntennaClimber did an absolutely amazing camper build with a M101A2.
I’ve seen it in person and it’s the best M101A2 camper build I’ve seen anywhere.
Lots of ideas to incorporate in a build of your own.
Even pulling a M105 with an M939 truck has issues. The trailer is too narrow to see when backing (by the time you do see it when backing, it is already starting to jacknife). Being so short, it jacknifes very quick, and with an ABS equipped power unit pulling a non ABS trailer, it is very hard to not perform a firm braking without smoking the tires on the little (compared to the M939) M105. However, they make great storage facilities!

BadRobot

S-788 Shelter

Just picked up a S-788 shelter from Tobyhanna Army Depot, PA with M1102 chassis trailer. It is perfect fit both width and length. I have not unstrapped yet.

IMG_0183.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

BadRobot

Height comparison between Amtech Helmet, Command Center Communication soft top Shelter and S-788. It is a little bit higher than the rest.

IMG_0169.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
31CA50F4-415F-4366-A47E-6603190D6995.jpg
Used both in the building of a new well house this past weekend.

Did the tailgate modification on the tan trailer so it sits level and stronger.
Worked great.
Front gate modification has been done to both trailers and really comes in handy.

These really handle weight nicely.
Two tons of cargo in the green trailer, before pic, and it was no sweat.
Towed great.

BadRobot

My ID tag clearly reads S-788. I don't see that on your tags. It appears to say M1152A1. I have an ad under vehicles for sale to see the difference. My computer decided to permanently turn off the power supply and I can't get pictures posted on this Ipad.
Eastern Surplus lists the same shelter I have as S-788. I think they got it from Tobyhanna Army Depot the same lot as mine.
https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/5863/S788-Shielded-Electrical-Equipment-Shelter

BadRobot

I believe it's a S-710. I think eastern has it labeled wrong. Google the numbers.

okay....went to eastern and the tag does say s788 on one like yours.
OK, this is the plate inside. See the type:

IMG_0252.jpg

It might be hard to see but it says S788. I will take a picture tomorrow. It is dark now.

tobyS

I see the model is S788. Maybe the difference is the type I or type II designation. I see that the eastern one had type II. Mine is a type I. I thought the number designated size, but there must be some variation by "type".

BadRobot

I see the model is S788. Maybe the difference is the type I or type II designation. I see that the eastern one had type II. Mine is a type I. I thought the number designated size, but there must be some variation by "type".
There are 3 types of S-788. Type I and III have TM. I could not find TM for S-788 Type II anywhere.

My S-788 Type II is almost brand new. All racks inside are brand new. No scratches at all (no sight of usages). My unit is almost complete as well. It comes with tunnel door on the generator side. No paint scratch on the door where the ladder hangs. All weather protectors for outside panels are there and almost new. The paint inside looks new as well. I am in the process of disassemble the racks and check 110v circuit. There are 110v receptacles all around.

camoyj7

Pretty sure it's a sand shoe to replace the jack wheel.

Finally got to test fit the new wheels. Ignore the overspray on the tires, those are getting replaced. The stock lugnuts fit but the socket is tight in the hole, so I would like to get some proper ones if anyone knows the thread pitch.

Please take a look at the second two pictures and tell me what that thing is. I feel like I should know, but I'm stumped. It doesn't appear to be doing anything there.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101A2

Surge brake shock failed on my tan trailer.
Searched for well over an hour Saturday night on the net trying to find the best price on the p/n 1844-2 shock.
(Croft Trailer has the best price BTW).

Was about to buy one from Croft and came across a eBay listing.
Boy did I luck out!

So instead of paying $113 plus shipping for the shock by itself, I stumbled onto a
complete NOS M101A2/3 Military surge brake assembly for less than $190 shipped.
076AE39A-740F-4C75-9733-5E1DFEC420B9.jpg
Paints a little dinged up, but it’s getting painted anyway.

Now I don’t have to buy the shock, nylon pin bushings or master cylinder for mine.
I’ll just do a complete swap of the units.

Parts I needed to replace on my assembly would have been about $240 or so.
Lucked out indeed I think.

Definitely worth the time searching.

Will be installing as soon as it arrives.

Last edited:

computer54

M101A2
Surge brake shock failed on my tan trailer.
Searched for well over an hour Saturday night on the net trying to find the best price on the p/n 1844-2 shock.
(Croft Trailer has the best price BTW).
Was about to buy one from Croft and came across a eBay listing.
Boy did I luck out!
So instead of paying $113 plus shipping for the shock by itself, I stumbled onto a
complete NOS M101A2/3 Military surge brake assembly for less than $190 shipped.
View attachment 706289
Paints a little dinged up, but it’s getting painted anyway.
Now I don’t have to buy the shock, nylon pin bushings or master cylinder for mine.
I’ll just do a complete swap of the units.
Parts I needed to replace on my assembly would have been about $240 or so.
Lucked out indeed I think.
Definitely worth the time searching.
Will be installing as soon as it arrives.
You did good and I would like to know if it well fit an M105 a2.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did good and I would like to know if it well fit an M105 a2.
Hydro-Act (OEM MFG) does make up to a 12,500lb model, so the beefier models will definitely handle the weight.
I don’t know if it would fit physically.
Not sure of the frame angles on the M105A2 vs M101A2/3.

7F14CA23-5EF2-461B-9B75-F7D36E6AB5D6.jpg
Pic is a M105A3 surge brake assembly.
It’s a lot heavier unit it looks like.
Don’t know if it will fit a M105A2

If your good with a welder I’m sure it could be made to fit.
Like I've said before, that’s a big, heavy trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks