• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

tobyS

Got the equalizers built for the dexter axles and attached it to the M929. Not welded out but good enough to see how it pulls. Now the M35 bed gets fitted and hinges built.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Saved this gem from the wrecking yard today, now searching for 1 landing leg and a good tire, also need a data plate

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saved this gem from the wrecking yard today, now searching for 1 landing leg and a good tire, also need a data plate

Is the leg missing or still there and the lock pin bent from someone moving it while still fixed? My XM-1073 (same as m-1061) had 2 missing/bent pin with handles and Goldneagle made me 2 to salvage the legs. We had called the manufacture and got some stupid crazy price.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140909-Juan-Prado-s-XM1073-trailer-repair-thread

The tire and rim for the 16.5 is the same as the bolster trailer and others & not too difficult to find. The 17.5 on the 1073 is super duper rare and no longer made by goodyear.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Is the leg missing or still there and the lock pin bent from someone moving it while still fixed? My XM-1073 (same as m-1061) had 2 missing/bent pin with handles and Goldneagle made me 2 to salvage the legs. We had called the manufacture and got some stupid crazy price.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140909-Juan-Prado-s-XM1073-trailer-repair-thread

The tire and rim for the 16.5 is the same as the bolster trailer and others & not too difficult to find. The 17.5 on the 1073 is super duper rare and no longer made by goodyear.

The leg is still there (right front is the one in question) but it is bent inward with a warped main tube restricting the inner from retracting into it. The pin is also bent making it a bear to pull out.

I didn’t know they were that common!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The leg is still there (right front is the one in question) but it is bent inward with a warped main tube restricting the inner from retracting into it. The pin is also bent making it a bear to pull out.

I didn’t know they were that common!
Maybe take the rear one and move forward as you really don't need it unless you are leveling the trailer. Also, One jack is strong enough to hold it up. I know we called Utility tool and got a crazy quote. Maybe they are not as proud of them now:
http://uttwi.com/contact.htm

My 2 rear legs were the problem and had to be tied up out of the way till they were fixed. Someone probably backed it up and did not realize the thing had 4 jacks!

tobyS

Good catch.

There are some NOS 12.50x16.5 around. I recently saw a thread where they had a few tires and wheels ready to go. Maybe a search would bring it up or someone had a WTB answer.

I like the 1061 because of the low deck height. Sometimes I think about lengthening the tongue or changing it, maybe as a 5th wheel. They are really reasonable priced for what you get.

Have you noticed how the axle articulates/pivots? I lifted the front of my 1061 with the front end loader until it hit the rubber stops. It went until the back was very close to the ground and I could drive my tractor on it, even without loading ramps. That led me to think about making it a tilt top loader trailer, maybe with hydraulics. More front frame and a hinge point to the trailer frame near the axle would be necessary, but not that difficult. Another thought was to make it a fifth wheel to attach to the 931 and possibly make a large dump body on it.

But it looks like it has a use as a tank hauler already....have fun with it.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the equalizers built for the dexter axles and attached it to the M929. Not welded out but good enough to see how it pulls. Now the M35 bed gets fitted and hinges built.
I like what you've done here, I've been wanting to do something close to go with my truck!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A50A7EE0-D6AF-4206-A5E2-FD41A45546A1.jpg
Installing Truck-Lite 3/4” LED Marker Lights this weekend.
Have these installed on my civilian trailer and they are very bright.

The military ones are too big and the M101A2 trailer doesn’t have any decent mounting locations.

Will post pics after install.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
8FC3DB5D-90C6-486C-A84B-0768842E45F6.jpg87B14781-9DA4-45DA-949C-18919B3B90A6.jpg
63A6B116-4138-4B4C-A41C-1EF2651F6150.jpgDD6D06E7-29FE-444E-A9B6-52784EFF6084.jpg
Installed new trailer cable, NOS surge brake assembly and Truck-Lite 33 series 3/4” LED marker lights.
Lights are hard to see in the pic but are very bright at night. Will get a pic of that posted later.
Car wash will take care of leftover plastic sticker on brake assembly.
Still have some additional cargo hooks to install.

Trailer looks horrible I know but it’s a workhorse! I use it almost daily.
It’s rock solid!!
A new paint job is next.
Brake assembly, jack, wheels, chains, frame, etc. will be flat black
Cargo box itself will be 383 green.

Truck needs new paint also but that’s another story.

FloridaAKM

After 9 months of waiting & agonizing on how to get this trailer out of Ft Bragg & down to Florida, it has finally come to roost @ my home. The issue started with a blown pickup by the trucking company that I hired to pick it up. Thanks to Wheelspinner, Wes Simpson & Sandcobra for all putting a bit of their magic on it to get it home. It is all there & in great shape minus the cover.

ResizedImage_1514466447651.jpg

FloridaAKM

I forgot to ask this question in the last post. The hold down straps that keep the cover frame on the trailer, where do they tie down? There does not seem to be anywhere to tie them except the hooks on the fold down sides & that can't be right.

tobyS

That is a good looking setup Tinstar. Nice job. It sets just right and you made it visible.

I just bought a gallon of green 383 (Behr Marquee) myself. I like the bottom black too but am not sure I will go with the water based acrylic (latex)(Behr). I notice that wet areas show rust again sooner than I want.

It was interesting to use the Behr black, mixed to the FS number. The formula uses blue and compared to flat black, has a noticeable difference. I painted areas on a Geithner enclosure and the black FS matched the enclosure, where flat black rattle can or liquid did not. To match the modern military black there is a blue component.

Local hardware said they could put blue into a flat black Rustoleum oil based paint. I'm going to try it so when I black out the bottom, I'm using a paint that will hold up longer.

I have to ask about the brakes. Does the 101 have "free backing"?

tobyS

After 9 months of waiting & agonizing on how to get this trailer out of Ft Bragg & down to Florida, it has finally come to roost @ my home. The issue started with a blown pickup by the trucking company that I hired to pick it up. Thanks to Wheelspinner, Wes Simpson & Sandcobra for all putting a bit of their magic on it to get it home. It is all there & in great shape minus the cover.

View attachment 713582
Nice looking trailer ! What are your plans for brakes?

Do you have any plans for the slide out tubes on each end?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good looking setup Tinstar. Nice job. It sets just right and you made it visible.
I just bought a gallon of green 383 (Behr Marquee) myself. I like the bottom black too but am not sure I will go with the water based acrylic (latex)(Behr). I notice that wet areas show rust again sooner than I want.
It was interesting to use the Behr black, mixed to the FS number. The formula uses blue and compared to flat black, has a noticeable difference. I painted areas on a Geithner enclosure and the black FS matched the enclosure, where flat black rattle can or liquid did not. To match the modern military black there is a blue component.
Local hardware said they could put blue into a flat black Rustoleum oil based paint. I'm going to try it so when I black out the bottom, I'm using a paint that will hold up longer.
I have to ask about the brakes. Does the 101 have "free backing"?
I actually use the large industrial cans of Rustoleum flat black with excellent results.
Matches the carc black just fine.
Have Rapco 383 green spray cans for the cargo box.
Will use that for the exterior and I have Sherman Williams Federal Code 383 that I will use for the inside of the cargo box.

Yes
I have the FreeBacks installed on the tan one and it’s wonderful!!!
Still have yet to install them on the green trailer. Have the brake assembly’s, just not installed yet.

Welding new jack on green trailer today and also installing the LED marker lights.

FloridaAKM

Brakes work great with the Deuce air system as noted on the way home. The airlift brackets will stay with both the M-1081 & the M1082 units as that is the way they came from the military. There are others who want to remove them for weight reductions, so you can source a set there.

The M-1082 was bought to use with the M-1081 as a set, so when the turrent cover & drivers window is installed; they will hit the road as a matched pair like the military does except on my fuel $$$!

tobyS

Seems like there should be a use for the airlift tubes. I'm not looking for some....I have a set on the bed below that I'm hoping some brilliant inventor has adapted to something useful for us earth bound users. With four, they would make for fast support when removing the bed. My 2 ... I'm still looking.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FF33B6FE-E24B-4822-9DBC-7570D8216BC7.jpg67A576CD-054C-46AC-9A29-8230759BF43D.jpg
Installed the other set of Truck-Lite LED marker lights and new Butler 5k jack on my green M101A2.
Jack is tilted just a bit on purpose so it will be at a better angle when raised up.
It’s so nice to have a jack!
Lights are very bright at night!

FreeBack brake assembly’s will be installed soon.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 713656View attachment 713657
Installed the other set of Truck-Lite LED marker lights and new Butler 5k jack on my green M101A2.
Jack is tilted just a bit on purpose so it will be at a better angle when raised up.
It’s so nice to have a jack!
Lights are very bright at night!

FreeBack brake assembly’s will be installed soon.
When are you going to put lights on the boarding steps?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks