• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

lfhoward

Can you post part numbers for hub, bearings, and seals please?

OD
You got it.

Hub: 3040-01-139-9900 (NSN)
Shoulder Bolt (wheel stud): 5306-01-237-6844 (NSN)
Lug Nut: 5310-01-149-0868 (NSN)
Inner Bearing 25580
Inner Race 25520
Outer Bearing 2585
Outer Race 2520
Grease seal 10-36 or 1036

I used Timken races & bearings, but you can also find other brands using the same part numbers.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I’m working on changing over an m416 jeep trailer to m416a1 specs lately. Since the surge brake is similar to the one on the m101a2 and a3 I figured it’d be different to install a crank up landing leg like on the m101a3 so I modified one to fit. On the left is an stock m101 series leg, in the middle is one shortened and modified to fit the m416, and on the right is a stock m416 leg.
69AC42D9-C0EB-4E81-933D-8B6CCBBE9121.jpeg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dug out the parking spot for the trailer, then used it to bring in a yard and ¼ of 1½ clean basalt gravel to make a pad. All with hand tools.... o_O

I still need another half yard to level it better. That 1½ gravel is hard to work with a shovel and rake.

Still looking for the bow bracket set if anyone has one they want to get rid of.

Parking.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the second (right hand side) electric brakes to the 101A2. Then pulled the bed for painting the frame, and to figure out how to adapt new parking brake cables to Dexter brakes. It’s not a straight switch. Fabrication will be done.
C3913528-7068-410F-A447-AFC35971EE68.jpeg

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2542.JPGDSCF2642.JPGDSCF2645.JPGI

Yesterday, I finished the install of the adjustable lunette ring bracket on my M105. The original ring had been welded in place so I removed it with a cutoff tool. I ground the surface flush and had the bracket and gussets installed by a professional welder. The ring now sits at 20" off the ground in the lowest position.

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. That’s a lot of cutting for a cutoff tool!
Actually, it was much more difficult than I thought it was going to be. The welding that was previously done all the way around the tapered shaft made it very difficult. If it had been only the shaft, it was have been fairly quick and easy. I used 4.5" angle grinders with cutoff wheels. I managed to get one disc caught/jammed and the motor burned up before I could hit the switch (which had been turned to the underneath side).

allredsd

Yesterday, I finished the install of the adjustable lunette ring bracket on my M105. The original ring had been welded in place so I removed it with a cutoff tool. I ground the surface flush and had the bracket and gussets installed by a professional welder. The ring now sits at 20" off the ground in the lowest position.
Man that looks great! Good job! You'll love how it pulls.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towed my M149A1-2 water buffalo to a remote location that needed Water.
It was full with potable water. 400 gallons.
M1008A1 did very well on the backroads with it.
Trip was about 18 miles there and back.
Love driving the back (Dirt) roads. My speed was about 20-25 max. Zero traffic

Cleaned and sanitized Inside the tank a few weeks ago.
I keep It filled with drinking water just in case.
Kinda nice to have a drink from it now and then. It’s parked quite a distance from everything.
Trailer sits in shade all the time so the water is always nice and cool.

Also Finally moved one of my M101A2’s.
It hasn’t moved in months.
Works been super busy and finally had time today to hook it up.
Will tow it around a bit and give it a bath before parking it again

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
39E026F3-34D1-4F65-BEE8-9308E4C28A64.jpeg
Moved my three 1101’s to the ranch. Two were at a friends farm, one in a storage lot. Tired of paying to store it, and no need for my toys to be scattered around.

I was over the maximum length law in TX by a few feet (if I remember correctly). Did not like pulling this into gas stations. Don’t want to get into a situation where I might get trapped.

m715mike

View attachment 799751
Moved my three 1101’s to the ranch. Two were at a friends farm, one in a storage lot. Tired of paying to store it, and no need for my toys to be scattered around.

I was over the maximum length law in TX by a few feet (if I remember correctly). Did not like pulling this into gas stations. Don’t want to get into a situation where I might get trapped.
How did the rear 1101 connect to your gooseneck trailer? Did you get a picture of it?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did the rear 1101 connect to your gooseneck trailer? Did you get a picture of it?
My cousin had a 2" receiver welded to the back of his gooseneck trailer, I'd imagine this is the same, then a pintle installed in it.

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I know why so many Egyptian slaves died from moving big stones up the pyramids. After several hours and lots of levers and blocks taking a 185 lb wheel off and getting it into my trailer without human help, I can identify with them. After its repaired, I may leave it off. Putting it back on now seems to be a bit overwhelming for a feeble 76 year old with a lifting ability of about 30 lbs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I know why so many Egyptian slaves died from moving big stones up the pyramids. After several hours and lots of levers and blocks taking a 185 lb wheel off and getting it into my trailer without human help, I can identify with them. After its repaired, I may leave it off. Putting it back on now seems to be a bit overwhelming for a feeble 76 year old with a lifting ability of about 30 lbs.
for my HMMWV wheels I like to roll them up a lawn mower ramp, as long as you are able to keep it upright and roll it uphill a little it isn't really all that much force needed.

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate your suggestion, unfortunately, I don't have the strength to roll one uphill or even balance one for long on level ground. I was barely able to keep this one upright for the slight 8' downhill trip from the M105 to the transport trailer. I have lots of equipment at my disposal but I can't use most of it.

For the last 8 years I have had only about 10% of my previous body strength plus several other challenging issues (not looking for sympathy, just explaining). I can now lift 40 lbs and walk carrying 30 lbs. Being by myself on the farm, I can usually find unique ways to achieve what needs to be done. Often putting together the items to accomplish the task at hand is more interesting than actually getting the job done. the For the most difficult tasks, a young man, retired from UPS and working at my local gun store, comes out and does the work. He will be the one to put this wheel back on the hub.

Meanwhile, keeping on topic, yesterday, besides getting the wheel into town, I picked up 2 longer bolts for the adjustable lunette ring and freed up the parking brake lever on the right side.

Added content at 10 AM, 5/15/20:

Not done today, but recently - I removed the deteriorating tie down ropes from my tarp and replaced them with 3/8" bungee cord rope and plastic hooks. I think that doing so has relieved some stress on the grommets during high winds (almost daily here). They also make it easier for me to work with than the ropes did.

I also bought a 4' piece of 1" galvanized pipe to use as a 'cheater bar' for removing or installing lug nuts. My 3/4" drive breaker bar fits nicely inside.

Attachments

Last edited:

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tire has a new tube and the wheel is back on the trailer. My assistant had to work today so I improvised again and got it done by myself*.

* = I used Coug's suggestion about using a lawn mower ramp to assist. Going downhill worked well for me.

Total expenses = $83 for labor and tube at the tire shop. $11 for 100 miles of travel back and forth to tire shop. Approximately 7 hours of my labor, not counting rest breaks - priceless.

DSCF2677.JPGDSCF2678.JPGDSCF2680.JPGDSCF2681.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks