• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you pay and what did you get

einstein

I live in utah and looking for a nice deuce. Where is the best place to look?

What sort of mileage?

If you bob them do you get a little better mileage?

Thanks so much.

If you can post what you paid and what you got, year and mileage.

Matt

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you do some searching on the forums you should be able to find answers to most of your questions.

Trucks seem to sell for more the further west you go......prob because more are surplused out on this end of the country.

Milage in a deuce is subjective.....since you can burn just about anything flammable in it you can lower fuel cost if you are willing
to collect said flammable liquids. 8-10 MPG has been par for the course for me.

The deuce has the aerodynamics of a concrete block....it is never going to get "great" fuel milage...if you are worried about fuel
milage or cabon emissions, buy a Prius.

Bobbing will help milage and manuverability....but not by much.

Your milage may vary. Contact with green iron can be addictive.

baxter

Matt welcome it is good to see another member in Utah. I am in Riverton. I got mine from Boyce people say he is high priced but I traded my boat for my truck and felt he was fair and Mark and Brett have always been good to me. You could just go see what he has and compare prices and see what else is avaliable. There were a few on GL a while back in Draper and they went for a few thousand if I recall. Like wreckerman said its addictive.

Vaughn

einstein

I want to spend 5-7k grand have cash, want something that has no rust want to potentially bob it or I saw one that was like a maintenance vehicle. Wanna use it to go down to the sand dunes which is about 115 miles away from me.

Hopefully its fairly reliable too.

Matt

area52

GL= Government Liquidations= auction for surplus truck= CRACK!!

Boyce is a large military vehicle dealer, kinda expensive in my opinion, located in Ogden UT.

mileage can be from 5 mpg to almost 12 mpg.

I have gotten 10mpg driving one back from California. I just sold my deuce with winch and hardtop for $3800 and it was driven to Las Vegas.

militarysteel

throw out more details, tires, top, heater?, air assist steering, Wench, whistler,

- to ( shorten a duce ) do you know of what all is involved? and what parts you need?

how far do you want your 5 grand to go, i am curious.

einstein

Still trying to figure out the options. Definitely want it to be a hard top, yes to heater it gets hella cold in utah. Winch and whistler?

I probably need to research more. Just really want something decent, runs good, reliable with heater for sure.

I have a 67 camaro and a couple mustang svo's and have rebuilt a couple engines. Are these fairly easy to work on?

Still looking into bobbing options. Whats the diffrences of newer m35 versus older ones?

:lost:

Matt

militarysteel

there use to be tons of M35A2 trucks for sale on GL, maybe you could buy a duce that is already shortened, maybe some one on this site can make you a deal you cant refuse :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wanna use it to go down to the sand dunes which is about 115 miles away from me.

Your commute to the dunes is going to take you over two hours and use about 15 gallons of fuel (one way @ 8mpg). Diesel is 2.70 a gallon here so that is around 80 bucks worth not counting what you burn roaming around the sand.
It is going to be a rough, loud, slow and, if summer time, very hot ride. Putting springer seats or a set of buckets out of a compact car will help the ride. Only count on one passenger in the cab…..three is a crowd in a deuce.
Prolonged exposure to cab noise in a deuce can cause hearing loss…ask me how I know. Get hearing protectors and use them.
There is no way to get away from the heat in a deuce (nice in the winter, sucks in the summer)…there is no insulation under the floor or on the firewall. You can roll up the side windows and open the front windows and most of the hot air will blow down through the holes in the floor (around the shift levers). If you take off the top (hard or soft) your brains will bake and you will still get the heat from the floor. Carry plenty of cold water and decaffeinated liquids.
You will not be happy with the dual Non-Directional Tires (NDT’s) on the back of a deuce in the sand. Switching to super singles (1100X20 min) will help and allow you to get stuck farther out in the boondocks. You will have fewer tires to inflate/deflate for traction.
When you get a deuce stuck you are stuck and you will need a like-sized vehicle to pull you out. That’s why the Army travels in groups and has winch trucks and wreckers.
Even if you have a winch it is useless without a strong anchor……there is a Vehicle Recovery and Evacuation Manual that shows how to make sand anchors…..take shovels and timbers with you.
If you anchor to a smaller vehicle you will reel him in like a fish…
Have an air hose, tire changing tools, reflector triangles, fire extinguisher and other safety items and implements of destruction with you.
A bob deuce will take larger tires but be aware if you put HEMMT rims with big single tires on one you are adding a lot of weight to the axles but you will tread lighter with just four tires.
It is not hard to bob a deuce but there are a lot of butchers out there that will take your money and give you back a truck that is a hazard to yourself and others. Make sure you find someone with a track record of happy clients before you turn loose of any money.
I would stay away from the A3’s….I have never been in a unit with them…never drove one……only saw a few up close but IMO they are a bastard step child. That CAT engine will put you in the poorhouse if it breaks and I have been told they are slower than the A2’s. Yes, they have the Central Tire Inflation System, but that is just one more thing that can go wrong out in the sticks where no parts are available. Most A3’s I have seen setting in GL lots have had a couple of flats…they may or may not inflate when you crank the truck.
You say you are mechanically inclined so you should be able to do basic maintenance by yourself or with an assistant….just remember….everything is bigger and heavier on a deuce.
Take your time, fined a good truck and enjoy it… come on over the GREEN SIDE…..we have cookies…..MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:cookoo:

Here is GL info:http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html

Dam......did I just doom that guy to a life of gree iron addiction??????
I sure hope so........SOMEBODY SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter

greenjeepster

Before you start bidding on GL trucks please take the time to read the GL help forum on this site. It isn't as simple as bidding, winning, paying for it and picking it up. The fisrt time you bid can take 2-3 months before they will let you pick up the truck. (background checks and such)

For your price range you would be better off to go with a private sale, already bobbed and pick it up the same day.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Check out craigslist, ebay, the classifieds on this site.

poppop

Prices vary a lot on GL. Usually from $800.00 to $2500.00 for an A2. A3's usually bring $10000.00. You need to inspect the trucks yourself if possible or ask if someone on SS is close and will inspect for you. If you can't inspect don't bid much over scrap price so you can recupe most of your money if you get a bad one. Don't trust GL's descriptions. I have a fairly nice duece I got from GL for $1240.00 plus the fees and taxes. It was missing one windsheild, the alternater and master switch but started right up and ran great and had no other problems. Sheet metal was in great shape but the bed looks like it had been swapped out for an older one. For $5000.00 to 7000.00 you should be able to buy a really nice one from somebody that is already checked out and ready to go.

And as wreckerman said be veeeery careful for you do not know where you go. One is never enough. I only wanted one, but I own three 5 tons, 4 dueces, 1 jeep, 3 M105,1 lubrication trailer and a semi-van. My good friend got infected from hanging around me and now has 2
5 ton dumps, 2 dueces, a lube trailer and several generaters.

Last edited:

Brian Thomas

You keep asking "what mileage?" Dude they suck fuel. Who cares. If you buy one thinking your going to drive it every day, your wrong. A toy is a toy and the cost to operate is part of the deal. Theres a reason most private "non busness" people dont own a dump truck or a Peterbuilt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks