• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you win? June 16, 2011

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I bought a M35A2C. I have wanted to buy a deuce for a while and ended up making a spontaneous buy. I probably over paid a little, but it looks like a very clean truck, so I made the leap and didn't look back. I'm sure I will have tons of newbie questions, but will see what I can find with search first.
Congrats man! I too watched that deuce both times it went on the auction block and it looks great. I hope she treats you well.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats man! I too watched that deuce both times it went on the auction block and it looks great. I hope she treats you well.
Just out of curiosity, any idea why it was on the auction block two times?

I downloaded all the manuals last night and will start reading them today. Looks like there is a manual specifically addressing inspection of the truck.

I also have a second question. It seems that in my searches, some people recommend always towing/trailering the deuce home even if it is drivable? Assuming the truck looks roadworthy, is it hard/impossible to get the paperwork needed to drive legally on the roadway without the title? :driver:

A local farmer close to my brother offered to trailer it back for $4 a loaded mile or about $800. My brother has access to a company trailer that routinely hauls 15,000 but it has no trailer brakes and is known for blowing tires. Replacing tires would be $400 a pop (pun intended), plus the idea of towing that much weight behind a one ton truck with no trailer breaks would be interesting.:tin hat:

Lastly, could someone point me to a section of do’s and don’ts on deuce recoveries? I’m sure it is in the forum someplace, but I am missing it in my searches. (This is a huge forum with tons of information, I just don’t know the key words to finding it just yet.)

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/133-great-list-picking-up-your-deuce.html
If you want to drive it, make sure you have insurance and take someone familiar with the inner workings of a deuce.

Wow, that was quick!

I don't have access to anyone that is familiar with the inner workings of a Deuce. This is more of a learning experience for myself. Saw them as a kid, always thought they looked cool and wanted one.

Brother is very knowledgeable on all things mechanical, and helped a bit with a Deuce that was in the volunteer fire department years ago, but he mainly welded and help them build a few things for it, not maintenance of the vehicle.

Again, thanks for the link. I will read that this morning.

R Racing

A 1 ton can haul a deuce on a trailer, BUT !! BRAKES ARE MANDITORY!! on the trailer !! Otherwise your load will push you thru the intersection or at stop signs and lights. I have hauled several deuces on my gooseneck trailer with my F350 . Maybe there is a member in your area that can help you out . did you post anything in transpertation ? If you do decide to drive it back check your brakes and fluid resevior, Deuces are known for being low or having no brakes and in most cases need bleed. Good luck :beer:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,

Find the GTA (Graphic Training Aid) for the deuce > GTA 9-1-185 which is the full inspection for the deuce series vehicles. It takes a few minutes to check everything, but each journey will be 'less interesting' and more enjoyable if you do.

"Interesting" as in the ancient curse - "May you live in interesting times".

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1 ton can haul a deuce on a trailer, BUT !! BRAKES ARE MANDITORY!! on the trailer !! Otherwise your load will push you thru the intersection or at stop signs and lights. I have hauled several deuces on my gooseneck trailer with my F350 . Maybe there is a member in your area that can help you out . did you post anything in transpertation ? If you do decide to drive it back check your brakes and fluid resevior, Deuces are known for being low or having no brakes and in most cases need bleed. Good luck :beer:
Agree, I have pulled 7000lbs without trailer breaks without issue, but 13000 plus trailer, made both my brother and I remove that option from Plan A. :)

I will do a search on the GTA. My memory is picture based, so any kind of video or picture based training is 100 times easier for me to remember over reading the raw manuals.

Thanks,
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks