• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I have? M35a1 or M35a2

bbumga01

Can anyone help me identify if my new deuce is a m35a1 or m35a2? The ID plate says its a 1962 Studebaker m35a1 but it has the LDT465 along with other up grades. The Id plate lists the VIN as M-55381 but the Number of the frame rail are 2793L- A43T. I have attached some photos to assist it the identification.

Attachments

TGP (IL)

I'm going to say it is a A1 with the early dash and swinging mud flaps.
Newer tail lights though.

Definitely been repowered as my A1 is.

Look for rebuild tags on the Trans.,T-case, and diff's.
If there, the dates will probably match or be close to the engine date.
Tom

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These things were in the military long after they stopped making a specific model and it's certainly possible it's been modified by them before it left.

Barrman

There are also the captured nuts on the firewall for the generator regulator box mount. That only dates it to before 1967 though. I thought the hinged mud flaps ended in 1958? A bed swap is easy too.

Katahdin

Definitely an interesting mixture of parts. If it weren't for the data plate, I'd say it started out as a gasser M35, but maybe they were still putting gasser parts into A1s. Then it was upgraded to an A2.

Your gauge plate and transmission shifter are the gasser parts I recognize. The hole in the floor where the foot starter was could've been either M35 or M35A1.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SN starting with an M is idicative of a Stude for sure. The stamped frame number is like none I've ever seen. Please post a pic of it and show us where you found it. The Stude stamping is usually near the front of the left frame rail, not near the shock mount like many others.

bbumga01

The SN starting with an M is idicative of a Stude for sure. The stamped frame number is like none I've ever seen. Please post a pic of it and show us where you found it. The Stude stamping is usually near the front of the left frame rail, not near the shock mount like many others.
The frame number I posted came from the left side of the frame near the shock mount. I'll check for another stamped number closer to the front of the frame. If I locate anything I'll post some pics.

bbumga01

20170813_083251.jpg20170813_083242.jpg

As you can see from the photos, the actual location of the stamped number is just behind the steering arm not at the shock mount. I too thought this number was odd.

DavidWymore

A1 nerd here. stb64 is another, and David Doyle is the history guru MV vehicle author. Pretty sure it's a '62 Stude A1 updated to A2, maybe after the military. Serial M-55 is close to mine, which is M-59. A1s were '61-'64. Probably not an updated M35 gasser. Pic of dash Data Plate would be nice, but if it says Stude, it should be a Stude. Usually that info got lost when the military replated them updating them to A2.
The 2794L A43T is the Left frame rail part number, not serial. There will be a similar number on the Right rail.
From memory - A1 would have originally had a foot starter button, LDS427 engine, tach below dash, the larger wiper knob it has, U-bolt bed attachment instead of bolts through angle clips, hinged mudflaps, rear exhaust cutouts in fuel tank supports, and exhaust hanger remnants... There is a new and old style front engine crossmember, either vertically oriented rectangle tube (old), or hortizontally oriented channel (new/A2, weaker). If it was originally gas, one of the rear engine mounts would have bolts instead of factory rivets. Also, an original multifuel truck will have a reinforcing plate on the firewall for the aircleaner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks