• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I need to check out when I have off my valve covers?

I will be replacing my IP next week, and figured I would clean, paint, and reseal my valve covers while I have the lines removed. Any advice on how to access what I see when I remove the covers?

cucvrus

I am not sure what you would be looking for under the rocker covers. But if they are not leaking I would let them alone. When you have the intake off may I suggest you drain the cooling system and service the coolant manifold gaskets and the entire cooling system. Have the radiator checked and cleaned at a competent radiator shop. Beats waiting for it to spring a leak and blow out along the road somewhere. Oil cooler lines and everything are easier to get access to with the inner fenders removed. Good Luck. I hope this is helpful. I tend to over detail when I maintain. Keeps me off the side of the road and on the trails longer. Be Safe. Happy Holidays.

Attachments

So there really isnt any "wear" components in there? Is it smart to relace those retainer buttons, check push rods, etc... My covers are leaking a bit, and I do plan to do the radiator at the same time.

cucvrus

So there really isnt any "wear" components in there? Is it smart to relace those retainer buttons, check push rods, etc... My covers are leaking a bit, and I do plan to do the radiator at the same time.
I never seen anything under there that needed replaced as a standard maintenance item. If the engine is running good I would just replace the valve cover gaskets. And I would do it with gaskets or with The Right Stuff from Permatex. Either way works. Getting it very clean and dry is key to good sealing of the covers, Take your time. Clean, paint and pay attention to details as you go. Like I said. Taking the inner fenders makes everything easier. And if they are rusty replacing them would be a good idea. Good Luck. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks