• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you build?

Another Ahab

Plasma cutter. I didn't grind them afterwards.

I welded it with stick. One pass with 1/8" 6010 @ 110 amps to get the penetration, then two additional passes with 3/32" 7018 rod @90 amps. I did it all in the more or less vertical position, turning them as needed.

Tha ks
I hope you'll give ti a test burn, and give us a report. I bet that thing goes cherry red in 15 minutes.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you'll give ti a test burn, and give us a report. I bet that thing goes cherry red in 15 minutes.

With wrist thick pieces of wood it got tremendously hot in very short order. Grease and paint began burning off the steel wheels.

I'm thinking fire pit version A1 will not even have a side opening to load wood. I'll just load it from the top. That will leave the sides intact for artwork. I'm thinking I'll try to cut this stencil into it with the plasma cutter.

Attachments

The HUlk

I'm at one of the local 7-11 stores yesterday, and see that they're selling drones over the counter at like $29.99 or something. The drones are everywhere. :shrugs:
I'd beware the $29 drones, you'll get $29 aeronautical performance. The range on mine is measured in thousands of meters and if I set the controller down it will hover in one spot until I pick it up again.

Another Ahab

With wrist thick pieces of wood it got tremendously hot in very short order. Grease and paint began burning off the steel wheels.

I'm thinking fire pit version A1 will not even have a side opening to load wood. I'll just load it from the top. That will leave the sides intact for artwork. I'm thinking I'll try to cut this stencil into it with the plasma cutter.
When you run through all of your Beta-testing, I'm thinking you patent it, recruit a buddy or two and start producing:

- Sell them off a website on the internet and make yourself a mint until you get bought out by Amazon.

And you think I'm kidding don't you!? :jumpin:

Another Ahab

Oh yeah, and the price point could be easily $500.

And it costs you what to produce, maybe $50?

That's a ten-fold return. In business schools (and anywhere else), that's what's called "good" (REAL good).

Another Ahab

I'm not kidding, I think 98G has got something there:

- It's all one piece; no moving parts, last a lifetime.

- It's totally portable (picnics, campouts, festivals).

If you get it patented, and you want some angel investors I bet you could stir some up here; I might buy in! :doghead:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not kidding, I think 98G has got something there:

- It's all one piece; no moving parts, last a lifetime.

- It's totally portable (picnics, campouts, festivals).

If you get it patented, and you want some angel investors I bet you could stir some up here; I might buy in! :doghead:
They're public domain so not really subject to patenting. Lots of pictures of similar ones online. I put this one on craiglist as soon as I finished it. I've got a bunch of these wheels lying around and plan to make more of these. I enjoy the weld - it's like welding a big piece of pipe.

Another Ahab

They're public domain so not really subject to patenting. Lots of pictures of similar ones online. I put this one on craiglist as soon as I finished it. I've got a bunch of these wheels lying around and plan to make more of these. I enjoy the weld - it's like welding a big piece of pipe.
It is a VERY cool, item. [thumbzup]

CUCVLOVER

I weld when I am working. I work in my dad fab shop when not in school. I can speak from experience when a day has you down I can go get under my hood and burn some wire. I don't know why but to me it is peaceful. Then I go run a few mags through my favorite um... (You get the point)

AZK9

... I'm thinking I'll try to cut this stencil into it with the plasma cutter.
So... did you have success with the plasma cutter, or did you have to use some other method to get that fine detail!

It really does look nice. [thumbzup]

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... did you have success with the plasma cutter, or did you have to use some other method to get that fine detail!

It really does look nice. [thumbzup]

Thanks!

I used the plasma cutter at 40 amps. I'm hoping the next one will be a little more "crisp". I'm going to alter the stencil slightly to more closely match what I can make the plasma cutter do.

AZK9

Any plan to add a door, or frame mesh to keep cinders under control?

98G-firepit-A1-2.jpg

Was the 'scrap' left over, from the large opening, something that could be used to construct a door?

Wish I had a plasma cutter!! Sure beats drilling and grinding! :wink:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any plan to add a door, or frame mesh to keep cinders under control?

View attachment 593686

Was the 'scrap' left over, from the large opening, something that could be used to construct a door?

Wish I had a plasma cutter!! Sure beats drilling and grinding! :wink:
The cut put portion could be welded into a door fairly easily.

When in use i lost way more out the holes than out the front opening though. Since it is for outdoor use it didn't seem excessive.

Gen2 doesn't have a large opening on the sides - it loads from the top. The only side opening is the scorpion (of which there'll be three, evenly spaced).

Where in AZ are you?

Another Ahab

In Prescott most of the time.
I had a cousin went to a college out there, specialized in outdoor skills. Pretty cool idea.

It was kind of an alternate school for those kids who weren't suited for the conventional programs.

In fact, Prescott College it was called I think. Is it still out there; ever hear of it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks