• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you have your air pressure set at?

RaggedyMan

I have been researching air pressure threads for various reasons and have noticed wide differences in pressures people have their govenor set at, anywhere between 80-120 psi. Is it personal preference or is that just the way you bought it and never had any reason to change it or like me, replaced the govenor and that's what it was set at?

Mine is at 100 psi. Is that good, bad or does it really matter?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce has liked 90 since I got it and the other three trucks I've had were at 110-120. No problems with any, performance-wise.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A comment for consideration.
Install a known good calibrated gauge off ofIMG_6454.jpg the in-cab

IMG_6455.jpg
under-dash port
Before you go messing with things.
The in-the-dash air pressure gauge is about
as accurate as the fuel gauge.

Last edited:

rustystud

I have been researching air pressure threads for various reasons and have noticed wide differences in pressures people have their govenor set at, anywhere between 80-120 psi. Is it personal preference or is that just the way you bought it and never had any reason to change it or like me, replaced the govenor and that's what it was set at?

Mine is at 100 psi. Is that good, bad or does it really matter?
Federal standards say an air operated brake system should have a compressor that builds air pressure up to 120 PSI. All over the road trucks and busses have their air system set to shutoff at 120 PSI.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an air assist steering system and the higher pressure makes thing better.

Federal standards say an air operated brake system should have a compressor that builds air pressure up to 120 PSI. All over the road trucks and busses have their air system set to shutoff at 120 PSI.

RaggedyMan

120 psi sounds good to me (I always say more is better) but in the case of a 50 year old truck I worry that more pressure is bad(?) on the hoses.

brianp454

ALL of the gages in the truck are a "suggestion." I recently tried a pile of gages for air pressure and got readings all over the map. I would like to check with a bonna-fide, calibrated, high quality gage and toss the ones with innacurate readings. I would prefer not to buy another tool! Any idea on renting or borrowing a gage local to me?

rustystud

120 psi sounds good to me (I always say more is better) but in the case of a 50 year old truck I worry that more pressure is bad(?) on the hoses.
If your hoses cannot handle 120psi then they should be replaced anyway. My home shop air-compressor makes 170psi . Standard home shop compressors from Home Depot make 150psi .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ALL of the gages in the truck are a "suggestion." I recently tried a pile of gages for air pressure and got readings all over the map. I would like to check with a bonna-fide, calibrated, high quality gage and toss the ones with innacurate readings. I would prefer not to buy another tool! Any idea on renting or borrowing a gage local to me?
You can never have too many tools. A decent gauge can be had for less than $20, I believe I'd just pick one up if I were concerned about it. With a proper fitting you could even use a tire air gauge. You should have one of these anyway if you own a MV (or any vehicle for that matter).

As has already been stated, 120psi is the correct max pressure.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks