• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you keep on M998 for self recovery?

Mario

So while I know that the first rule of offroading alone is NEVER OFFROAD ALONE!, there are always going to be times when you're alone.
After dispensing with all the mumbo jumbo about notifying others about planned route, ETA, having provisions, blankets, first aid kit, etc., I'm looking for ideas about what you keep (and where) on your M998 for when you do get stuck in mud, snow, water, etc.

I had a fun family day yesterday until I decided to test the go anywhere, do anything aspect of my M998.

After sinking into the mud, I broke out my tools, recovery straps, shackles, and improvised hoist to use as a manual winch.
When none of that worked, I contacted a buddy who came to the rescue and pulled me out.

Not wanting to repeat dependency on others, I started looking at manual come-alongs, straps, hi-lift jacks with ORK (Off Road Kit), etc.

While forward winch is a given in this discussion, in my case moving forward was not an option.
A good argument could be made for wrapping the winch underneath the truck and winching backwards, but for the sake of this discussion, I like to see what you guys take that's on the manual side of things.

I would love to hear from others on types of tools you pack into your truck.

- What size and length of chains?
- How many straps and what size?
- How many shackles?
- What size toolkit have you found that fits well and where?

Thanks and if this were covered elsewhere, please point me to it 'cause I couldn't find anything except for the rear wheel - rebar - rope, 'winch' trick.

Mike82ndABN

$400 12k harbor freight winch attached to a receiver mount bracket.

this mounts into a conventional hitch bracket i bought off the auction site for $60. It bolts up where the pintle is.

standalone 12v battery for the winch.

I always get stuck nose first, so being able to winch from the rear is a big deal for me.

It has saved me numerous times. Worth the peace of mind.

snowtrac nome

the m1114 series had a mile marker winch out the back that's the best idea I have ever seen. how often do you back into a bog, and get stuck usually it happens while going forward. a highlift jack can be dangerous, but can also save the day and have done so for me in the past more than once. also some kind of ground pressure reducing device like the old steel runway that you used to pick up all the time now they have lighter plastics that do the same thing . a tire plug kit can be handy and a good air supply along with some jumper cables and a 24 volt test light. those items with the usual skeleton tool set and a leather an should get you out of about everything

Mario

$400 12k harbor freight winch attached to a receiver mount bracket.

this mounts into a conventional hitch bracket i bought off the auction site for $60. It bolts up where the pintle is.

standalone 12v battery for the winch.

I always get stuck nose first, so being able to winch from the rear is a big deal for me.

It has saved me numerous times. Worth the peace of mind.
Do you have any pictures?
Do you also have a way to mount it to the front?
Where do you normally store it?
I've been looking at the 12VDC winches but have not been able to get past the 12v supply, battery drain, etc.
Is there a way to swap a motor in those and make it a 24VDC unit?

ryanruck

• Front mounted 12k electric winch
  • Rear mounted 12k electric winch (to be purchased and installed, truck mounting hardware is in place)
  • 20' 44,000lb tow strap with 1" shackles
  • Logging chain (I think it's 20', not sure)
  • Tire chains (they don't just work in snow!)
  • Pioneer kit that came with the truck (need to remount it from its original location to the hood)
  • On board air system (to be installed)
  • 24v RoboTools impact driver set for changing tires
  • 4 spare jerry cans of fuel
  • 2 jerry cans of water (need to get the carrier for them mounted to my bumper)
My winch(es) are 12v. I have it/them tied into the rear battery but I have the dual volt alternator. I'm not planning to be doing so much winching that I will a) kill that single, massive Hawker battery and b) that the dual volt alternator even at 50A can't recharge. Since seeing the underhood H1 battery tray, however, I am tossing around the idea of installing some extra batteries under the hood paralleled to the rear battery for even more capacity at some point, just as extra insurance.

Still have a list of equipment I need to add:

• Basic tool set (just haven't decided which one I want)
  • Ground anchor so I can winch recover if there are no natural anchor points nearby
  • A snatch block or two
  • Traction/bridging ladders (I'd like to find some Marston mat to make some out of as I'm not a fan of the plastic ones commercially available)
  • Maybe a second 44,000lb tow strap
  • Bogert jack to replace the screw jack I've got

Mike82ndABN

Do you have any pictures?
Do you also have a way to mount it to the front?
Where do you normally store it?
I've been looking at the 12VDC winches but have not been able to get past the 12v supply, battery drain, etc.
Is there a way to swap a motor in those and make it a 24VDC unit?
Pics are here.... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-and-a-winch&p=1845548&highlight=#post1845548

I don't have a way to mount it to the front, but i suppose i could always add a receiver hitch up front.

I store it in the bed, i have a receiver hitch bolted to the bed to stop it jumping around (i wouldn't winch from there).

It's not the ideal situation, but for peace of mind when you are off by yourself, it has been worth it. Getting stuck far from help is a pretty bad feeling.

At some point i will do it right and get the mile marker. One thing at a time.

Last edited:
Regarding the second battery, in my opinion you should only need one if you are in a hurry to recover. Winch slowly and you should be fine letting the alternator do it's thing to the rear battery if you have the dual voltage alternator.

I've seen 6TL batteries rated from 120AH to over 200AH. Find out what the draw of the winch at max is, plug that into a calculator like this:
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

I'm just saying, I could be way wrong...

Regarding the PSP/runway plates/Marsden/Marsten matts, I've been looking into them. There is one place that I've found that has them:
http://aviationwarehouse.net/novelties-for-sale.html

ryanruck

Regarding the second battery, in my opinion you should only need one if you are in a hurry to recover. Winch slowly and you should be fine letting the alternator do it's thing to the rear battery if you have the dual voltage alternator.

I've seen 6TL batteries rated from 120AH to over 200AH. Find out what the draw of the winch at max is, plug that into a calculator like this:
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

I'm just saying, I could be way wrong...

Regarding the PSP/runway plates/Marsden/Marsten matts, I've been looking into them. There is one place that I've found that has them:
http://aviationwarehouse.net/novelties-for-sale.html
Thanks for the link to the Marsten mat! I had been having a little difficulty finding some and put off looking. I'll have to get in touch with them to see what their shipping options are.