• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what do you pull behind your 5 ton tractor?

ClintA

Right now I am building Cattle racks for a M872A1 trailer that I will ether pull with my M818 or M931, photos coming soon as I can remember to take my camera. But I also haul a TD-15 crawler and a case backhoe.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waiting for my veteran registration papers and until the truck has been completely restored and painted in proper colors with proper markings. Then I need to borrow a semi trailer at least once to get the feeling of how my M512A2 truck looks and drives as a tractor.

als kiepauto.jpg = 2011 07 July 11c _resize.jpg = official pics M51A2 01c2_resize.jpg

ke5eua

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two questions, is that a actuator on the pintle and the last picture do you still have the 5th wheel on it?
I am not sure what a pintle actuator is. I removed the original pintle and replaced it with a fish mouth coupling, which are standard and obligatory in the Eu; military pintles are not allowed as coupling devices on civil trucks here.

IMG_8568_resize.jpg..M51A2-2011-april_16_resize.jpg

The dump assembly and 5th wheel assembly are interchangeable now, takes about 1 hour and a 2-ton crane to take of the dump bed including subframe and hydraulics and put the 5th wheel on or vice versa. All lights, license plate, and in the future also the mud flaps are on a new bar at the rear of the truck connected to the main frame. The change is street legal and mentioned on the registration certificate.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since my last post I have added a military surplus civilian-type 35' lowboy, an M129A4, and a ADC-TSS-5. The TSS is heavy, and it does slow the truck down quite a bit. On the flats I could probably get it above 55mph, but see no reason to try. On shallow to moderate hills on the interstate, its down to 45mph though, that's all your going to get out of it. Steep hills - if there's a good wide shoulder, take to it!

The last two are tall trailers, and combined with the 14.00s on my two M931A2s, both trailer noses are close to 13'9". Texas trailer max height is 14', but I'm still uncomfortable being quite that high. I am in the process of replacing the military two-axis-tilt 5th wheel with a civilian single-axis-tilt on one of my tractors. This will drop the plate close to 6", which doesn't sound like much, but makes a big difference on clearance, and also lowers the tow angle of the trailers.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks