• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think....1979 Kaiser Rotator Boom Wrecker

DouglasCo

I've wanted to get a truck for a long time but haven't had time, room and $. So the next best thing was to get my dad and brother to buy one. For $8k I think they got a good deal, not $.02/lb but i'm sure its good for a wrecker. It looks really cool, I'm sure some of you have seen it. It says 7k miles. Its a 250 cummins no-turbo. I guess its a 5-ton??? I'll post more pics and data when i get a chance. The pto case to the rear winch is cracked so we'll have to find where to buy a new one or try to repair it. I'm sure there is a thread about it already when the time comes. The front winch is a 20k hyrdaulic. The boom is rated at 20k. What can you guys tell me about it.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, it's a 5 ton. Nice truck. $8K for a Cummins-powered wrecker is CHEAP. They generally go for more than $10K at auction. You may want to contact MADSAM in Colorado. He has an M816, too, and may be able to suggest some good parts sources. Congratulations on your truck.

DouglasCo

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Its from Texas and going to Oklahoma. Thats where they are. I'm in Colorado on the front range. Now i'll have to visit more often. So can it pickup 20 tons with the crane fully extended? Is it okay to rotate under full load? What else would you guys to do it besides paint it green? It won't see wrecker duty, just general lifting.

AMGeneral

It won't lift 20 tons,it will lift 10,000 lbs with the use of the outriggers at minimum boom length(retracted). It will handle 20,000 lbs directly over the rear with the boom braces connected to the wrecker bed. If you try and lift 20 tons,you'll turn the truck over or bend the boom.

DouglasCo

Sorry, I meant 20k, not 20 tons. Has anyone actually bent a boom? Is the winch capable of bending it while running a double line? I'm guessing its not made of just mild steel. What will it pick up fully extended? Anyone know? I searched for a thread that was informative about these specifically, but didn't find one. Info just seems to be spread out here and there, which isn't always as reliable, at least on other forums.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have seen a pic of a bent boom. the front winch is pto unless someone did a redo . please send more pics i have a 816 and they do look better green TIm:roll:

Elwenil

Read the TMs for your truck, it will tell you all you need to know and more and save you a lot of headaches from misused equipment later on.

DouglasCo

These are considered class 8 rigs, correct? Has anyone been hassled by DOT for driving them without a CDL? I would imagine not, unless its obviously being used for commercial purposes.

Are these the best tm's for this truck?: My connection is slow, which one is crane operation most likely to be in?
TM 9-2320-260-20 Unit Maintenance for 5 Ton, 6X6, M809 Series Trucks (Diesel)
TM 9-2320-260-20P Unit Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools List for 5Ton, 6X6 M809 Series Trucks (Diesel)
TM 9-2320-260-24P-1 Unit, Direct Support, General Support Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools List 5 Ton, 6X6, M809 Series Trucks (Diesel)
TM 9-2320-260-24P-2 Unit, Direct Support, General Support Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools List 5 Ton, 6X6, M809 Series Trucks (Diesel)
TM 9-2320-260-34-1 Direct Support and General Support Maintence for 5-Ton M809 Series
TM 9-2320-260-34P-1 Direct Support and General Support Maintence Repair Parts and Pools for 5-ton 809 series
TM 9-2320-260-34P-2 Direct Support and General Support Maintence Repair Parts and Tools for 5-Ton 809 Series

Last edited:

Hub McCaan

DouglasCo's brother here - we took delivery today - it is an outstanding vehicle. Got a few broken items - like the housing on the rear winch and the fairlead on the front winch - where can I get replacements?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020609_001.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020609_018.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020609_030.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020609_031.jpg

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site, guys.

I can't help you on replacement parts, sorry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks