• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think....1979 Kaiser Rotator Boom Wrecker

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Theres a BUNCH of guys in the Military Vehicle Collectors Of Colorado , and most of the same guys are on SS that have M816's . Get to know them and maybe join the club , they would be happy to come out and help im sure, Jay

DouglasCo

oh well, it won't be the first boom they've bent. and certainly not the longest. All the m816's have 45k rear winchs right? Thats a big winch. What are the odds that there is other internal damage that caused the case to crack? Or is it like the aluminum deuce winches that crack if the wind blows? I imagine its much harder to find someone who is parting out one of these rigs.

DouglasCo

here is a dealer i ran across in texas. He has a m816 with 5 times the mileage listed at $16,500 and sold so i guess you got a good deal.
http://www.texasmilitarytrucks.com

Do you guys know if they could run duel wheels on the back with that tire/rim combo? They were all originally duel wheeled right? Whats the easiest way to tell if the tires have the run flat inserts in them?

Hub McCaan

I looked at those tires today - I don't think you could run duals that size on the back. Those tries add almost two feet to the height of the boom when it is raised. Big John can weld Cast Iron so we may check out the winch and see if it is okay and then maybe get him to weld up that crack - it's not too bad.
I parked it last night and this morning there was still 90 psi in the tanks - so at least it holds air well.

More Photos:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020709_001.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020709_003.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020709_004.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/TexomaTrash/arfcom/Photo_020709_007.jpg

jatonka

Hey Hub, you oughta look up Dabtl on SS, he's in Denton too. Your 816 wrecker takes all the same parts as the older M543 wrecker. There are lots of them around. The crack might have happened from water in the oil in that case, should check them all for water. Good luck, have fun. JT out

DouglasCo

Thats a neat modification, but a nightmare for crossing ditches. I like the ladder on the boom. I would like to see hydraulic outriggers on the sides like on a backhoe or a real crane.

I saw a couple people say it can be modified to rotate 360 but didn't see where anyone actually said what it takes. Anybody?

Last edited:

Crash_AF

As far as I know, there are two stops at the limits that just bolt in under the turntable. I have not done this mod to mine though.

Nice looking truck for $8k

Later,
Joe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear winch case is aluminum not cast iron. If it just had some water in it and it froze and craked you may could just weld it up. If something got in a bind and cracked it you may be looking for a new winch.

DouglasCo

Wow, really? Anybody know what that winch weighs without the wire? Just curious, i didn't know there were any aluminum 45k's

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, really? Anybody know what that winch weighs without the wire? Just curious, i didn't know there were any aluminum 45k's
The only dealings I've had with the 45K winch is I installed one on the back of a Kenworth. I didn't weigh it but it's heavy. I guess about 400lbs.

The only thing I don't like about the winch is it doesn't have a disconnect lever to free spool the rope out.

Csm Davis

mine and a few others I know of have busted from abuse of breaking loose under pressure, ripped the end off my cable with 40,000 lbs of track-hoe hanging on it:roll: the backlash messed up the gears just enough that next pull bang:cry: the back end of my truck broke into a bunch of heavy scrap. Winch, drive shaft, jack shaft, chain, and floor plate all toast and had to check my pants:oops: The case on all the Garwood winches are aluminum that I know of and I think you can still get parts from the manufacturer. good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks