• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think the odds are?

paradeduty

Just had a truck brought home w/ lowboy.

Giving it a once or twice (maybe three times) going over what is what and the first major thing that I noticed is that the engine oil has been drained. I don't see any obvious signs of engine malfunction. I have heard that on some bases most if not all fluids are drained - possibly for environmental (leaking) reasons.

So - my question is, based on the vast experience some of you guys have with recieving trucks from bases, what do you think the odds are that the engine is OK and they were just "thinking green" or "de-milling"?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It depends on which base it came from.....I got a deuce out of Fort Jackson, SC that all fluids had beed drained out of.....every other truck I got from various other bases still had all fluids.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say it has something to do with a particular states environmental laws.

paradeduty

starting & loading

Well, I know for a fact that it was pulled onto the trailer w/ a heavy civilian wrecker (I scheduled the wrecker, had them do a preview, and paid the bill for the loading!). I'm also 99% sure that noone attempted to start it as the batteries were gone before I even began to bid on it and the "ignition" switch had been yanked (I hate using that term on a diesel, oh well). I guess I'm just hoping for the best and not pumping in 8 to 10 gal of engine oil just to get dissapointed. Just have to keep my fingers crossed.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I bought a wrecker out of richmond all fluids were drained,filled everything up and it was good to go.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hey Wreckerman - the truck you got that had been drained, was it ok or did it need a new powerplant? I guess this is where I'm going with the question.
Once we got everything topped off she fired up and ran great.

As an extra bonus there was at least two complete sets of Basic Issue Items equipment stuffed into the side box including a new set of slave cables.

paradeduty

Thanks, guys - will have to see what she will do when she cranks over. Couple of things are missing on the engine/trans I think, will have to do some research and fill her up. I'll let you know if it makes nice, really loud music or not so nice, really really loud sounds!

Dave

cleb

My M818 had the oil drained, but all other fluids were intact. I filled it up, and it didn't want to turn over. The engine had a slight bit of rust on the rings I think. 4 fully charged batteries later she fired off. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

kennys@wi.rr.com

In the past, with gas engines, we would remove a plug and spray a small amount of penetrating oil in there. Can you remove an injector on these to do the same? Just a thought.

cleb

There are these big plugs called decompression plugs IIRC. Getting em out requires taking the rockers off. Mine were on too tight to break. A rattle gun probably would have done it. You could also take the injectors out. Either scenario requires re-adjusting everything in the head.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the last 818 i bought had all fluids drained and the plugs thrown away. it was fine after putting in fluids

cleb

Ouch, that would be a bad day....It worries me how many trucks get driven around GL, and even customers picking trucks up without checking the oil...one of these days its going to bite someone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks