• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you use to clean off your engine?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a high-pressure steam cleaner. You can't beat it for removing grease and oil. It will even take the paint off if you're not careful. Adding the steam works much better than a standard pressure washer.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steam cleaner at work or, at home, Simple Green and pressure.

Keith_J

Nothing beats regular paint thinner..cheap yet evaporates. It loosens the caked-on grease so a pressure washer can more easily remove it.

If you don't have a pressure washer, a trip to the local car wash will suffice :wink:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OH Snap!!!...Are they supposed to be clean?
I don't plan on putting mine on an Air Force plane any time soon...they are the only one's that ever complained before...LOL.

GoHot229

You can use stuff like 'Purple stuff' diluted and a host of autoparts cleaners, but if your concerned about paint bleaching and streaks, then 'GUNK' citrus works about the best. I use it on alot of things, but motorcycles especially because of the sensative and easily ruined finishes which it does not mar or bleach out, rather cleans and no harm is done to the finishes

Marcel

I use a "Hotsy" electric powered oil fired hot water pressure washer and use their recomended bio-degradradable washer solution. The beauty about the system is that you can buy all types of wands for different applications and they have quick release couplings as well as adjustable spray nozzles so you don't have to change nozzles when you change applications. It is expensive but I use it for all types of cleaning jobs including washing all my vehicles, engines, undercarriages, backhoe, motorcycle, and even wash the outside windows of my house and the vinyl siding on my rental property.

kipman

Purple power, best I have found, spray on warm engine, let sit over night, wet again, rinse after one hour, and it is cheap.

bcombs1952

There is a spray sold at Dollar Tree-- called Awesome -- and its cheap!! Spray it on full Strength & let set aprox 10 min than pressure wash this stuff takes off even baked on grease and all without taking off the paint.:wink:

KsM715

OH Snap!!!...Are they supposed to be clean?
I don't plan on putting mine on an Air Force plane any time soon...they are the only one's that ever complained before...LOL.

:-D I remember when we had clean our trucks to fly out to NTC. Hours and hours at the wash rack. Those Loadmasters are pretty stringent on what goes into "their" planes.

tm america

i just dip my truck in mud to wash off the oil on the engine.ussuallly have to do it repeatedly till i get a nice protective coating of mud on the engine and surrounding areas:roll:then if i want to see green again i use my pressure washer and some gunk

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just dip my truck in mud to wash off the oil on the engine.ussuallly have to do it repeatedly till i get a nice protective coating of mud on the engine and surrounding areas:roll:then if i want to see green again i use my pressure washer and some gunk

He really does. We saw him demonstrate this technique at Haspin last year on the Friday night ride. :)

I use Simple Green on the backhoe and believe me I don't think anything can get as nasty as a backhoe. Spray and let sit for a while and then pressure wash it off.

I like a lot of the other ideas though.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks