• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you want to know about five-ton history?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Greetings all,
After over a decade of work, my five-ton (M41/54/656/809/939 et al) book is now rushing headlong toward completion. This book will be similar to my two-volume Dodge set from a couple years ago.

After having been deeply immersed in this subject so long, I fear that in some cases I may not see the forest for the trees.

So - I ask, what would you like to see in this book? Keep in mind, this is not a how-to or maintenance manual - but a history. (and saying "a photo of MY truck in active military service" won't be meaningful.

Best to respond here, or send an email, rather than PM.

Basically, your responses will be sort of a check list (and no promises that all questions will be answered, some things remain unknown).

Best wishes,
David Doyle
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com
David@DavidDoyleBooks.com

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton missle trucks. Any sort of offensive capability . Guntruck field mods

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much detail information as practical on the PIP of the M54 et al series that lead to the M809 series. New build versus conversion numbers (roughly is fine).
I gather my M813 was converted from an M54, rather than being an all-new truck.

Looking forward to seeing this end product!

Cheers

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd like to see how the military kept trying to keep the 5 ton relevant, going from M39 to M809 to M939, then A1 and A2, whereas the M44 series stayed basically the same.

I gather my M813 was converted from an M54, rather than being an all-new truck.
Wait, isn't the M809 frame longer than the M39 to accomodate the NHC250?

ReoRider

Hi David,

How about something concerning the reduction in truck weight classes after WW11. The selection of 2 1/2 and 5 then later 10 ton was quite a change from the range of war time weights. What was the thinking?

The cab configuration is always interesting, was it part of the spec. at the beginning to have a single cab design for all three weight classes?

When you go back to 1950, the 5 ton was a really big truck. Was that part of the reason that the multiple configurations were initially made on the 2 1/2 chassis and then only later migrated to the 5 ton?

Your work will be eagerly awaited!

Thanks,
John

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'll knock this one out right away, since I've gotten so many emails about this through the years.

In 1984 the USMC awarded a $52.2 million contract (with extensions), that ultimately converted 2,028 M54 trucks to M813. The Corps rebuilt the cabs, axles, transfer case and drive shaft. They then installed AM General-supplied conversion kits which included: Frame, NHC-250, transmission, fenders, hood, no-spin differentials, fuel tank, power steering, radiator, exhaust, springs, seats and instrument panel, and data plates - all packed into 35 boxes.

Why this was ever called a rebuild escapes me (unless it was some way to sidestep budget restrictions) - 'cause as you can see, the end result is basically a new truck with rebuilt transfer case, axle housings/wheel bearings and brakes.

Thanks for the other good input -- y'all brought to mind some things I'd not thought about. I look forward to more such input.

Best,
David
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll knock this one out right away, ........Why this was ever called a rebuild escapes me (unless it was some way to sidestep budget restrictions)....
Thanks David.

And more than likely, that is exactly why it was done that way. Along the lines of the M38 - M38A1.
"Can we have a new jeep?"
"No!"
"Can we upgrade our M38s then?"
"Okay, you can do that..."

Cheers

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to know of the design problems they found over the years and what was done if anything to mitigate them.

71DeuceAK

I'd like to know more about some of the less common models (M942, etc) of the M939 series.

P/S, when this thing goes to press, I'd love to get a copy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks