• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do your neighbors and other drivers think of your CUCV

wayne pick

What kind of reactions do you get from neighbors and other drivers on your CUCV. The neighbor accrossed the street from me HATES IT. On the road I get double takes from the Dodge and Ford guys when they hear my turbo start hissing and thumbs up from Chevy guys, and guys that drove these in the military.

Last edited by a moderator:

OL AG '89

I have 2 09's in my drive and my STUCK UP neighbors hate THEM!!!! until we have bad weather and the creeks rise.....
I get mixed looks across the city when I drive the FMV no tags version, especially the local LEO's..... I have all the right paperwork when I get stopped. I have educated quite a few officers about the laws in Texas.... some are appreciative others just walk away, but none have been bold enough to test my paperwork or knowledge....
I take them to the local carshows and the KIDS LOVE THEM, because their the only vehicles at the show they can SIT IN.....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never understood the problems people have with neighbors. Driving MVs and the like are more the rule than the exception around here. I'm sure there are some environmental extremist around here but they know to stay in the closet. People around here are pretty tight nit and don't take well to outsiders moving in and trying to change things.

My wife does have some kin that are on the verge of being extremist and they think I'm a crazy person for owning so many MVs and firearms. That's ok, people don't mess with somebody they think is crazy.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My neighbors like me and my CUCVs, but I live in the country on 5 acres and they know I'm in the military, so that helps...

... also helps my windows are tinted pretty dark and I do get a lot of waves and thumbs up...

... and the office guys saw my petite wife step out of the M1009 one time she had to drive it to work in Nashville - instant "she's cool" (she said she was embarrassed)...

... and the wife and daughters call it "the tank"... :-D

wayne pick

m16ty, If I lived in my hometown of Brewster NY, I would not get a second look, It's a little more upstate, but a lot more rural. In Westchester Co, I live amongst a lot of white collar types that went to collage instead of the military and don't understand the attraction to military vehicles. Nothing wrong with collage mind you, some of us went in another direction. It's like im soiling their enviorment with my big ugly green truck. I think it's the color that bothers them, OD, Cammo, Kaki, I can only amagine what the Deuce guys go through.

Bairrfhionn82

I enjoy driving down the highway in my M1009 especially when some dipstick tree hugger in a hybrid is putzing along in the fast lane I zip by in the middle lane and make a point of booting the go pedal and spewing a little soot on their smug mobile.MN has alot of a$$ monkeys that think the fast lane is theirs. My nieghbors don't mind my Beast except for the full throttle starts in the winter a cloud of blue/white smoke rises a few eyebrows.:-D

idM1028

Nothing too crazy. Mine's a stock OD green M1028 with a license plate on the back. It seems to blend in pretty well. I've got the pintle hook and troop seats if I ever want to throw them in. My dad used to make it a point to drop my little sister off at birthday parties and such in what he called "foo foo" neighborhoods in his old truck (a black '88 Chevy half ton 4wd with a regular cab, long bed, and oh yeah, 350, stick shift and clapped out, rusty exhaust system) just to see how many dirty looks he would get :mrgreen:

I get a lot of looks from guys driving newer trucks. And a lot of not so nice looks from snooty people driving their Escalades, Lexus, and Mercedes. Teenagers stare. The local redneck population seems to like it. Vets give a lot of looks. I find it's a focal point in parking lots.
My girlfriend's dad (Vietnam Air Force vet) was asking her if it had a trailer hitch, and talking about me using it for the American Legion in the parade (either to tow their trailer or surplus howitzer).:wink:

I plan on taking it to a few of the local car shows this spring/summer. So I'l see how the reception is there.
:driver:

Last edited by a moderator:

cucv1833

I have no issues with my neighbors, maybe because I dont talk to them. I just idle through the neighbor hood and dont disturb people.

On the road no issues I just stay in the right lane no one really cares.

I also dont have tags on vehicle just Vin stencils. So some cops follow me for a while then pull away. (All Legal) Ive never been pulled over yet though.

K9Vic

All my immediate neighbors love my CUCV trucks and want to also own one as well. I have only one time had an issue with the police and they could not do anything because vehicles were all registered. The officer was very professional and was on my side the whole time just following a complaint from someone in the neighborhood. Later I found out who called the police, but that is another story and there is no worry of that happening again. The officer stated that all vehicles had wheels, plates and were drivable. So I was not breaking any codes and parked on concrete, not grass that would be illegal. I actually extended my driveway in 2008 so I could park more vehicles in it as I was always buying & selling them. That has worked out well as I can get 4 CUCV trucks in my driveway.

As for driving around, I get looks from the local cops and I do run normal plates because I drive them all the time. I have even been asked if I was on SS at a stop light, but do not know what member that was. I have seen drivers take pictures with their phones many times. I think the one I get the most looks at is the M1010 as it is all black and looks like a SWAT vehicle. The most fun I have had was last year when Texas got about 10" of snow and it was icy on the roads. I was driving around everywhere climbing hills that other vehicles could not go up passing a cop wondering how I just did that. Speaking of the cops I have never been stopped, but I have been followed a few times. I am sure after they see I am a local running my plate on the computer they will turn around.

Attachments

tom2147

I live on a dead end township road only a half mile long and know most everyone that lives on the "lane" anyways everyone waves no matter what i'm driving. Many of the kids have been for rides in one of our dueces :)

combatmech

No serious issues with the neighbors or my apartment complex. They do suspect that I'm starting my own motor pool. Only problem....When it turned cold, my truck would blow soot all over my upstairs neighbors back tire. I talked to her about it, appologized, and bought her a car wash. Since then, I back the truck into my spot. It wasnt that she complained, it was something I noticed.....
I get a lot of compliments on the 1009, David it a great job with the paint. Every once in a while, I'll cross paths with some one that was Army and worked the CUCV's. And I'll get a story or two..... My name is Ben, and I'm an Olive Drab/ MV addict. :cookoo::beer:

Last edited:

ratat98

I don't have a CUCV, but a deuce is just as bad (or good), I guess. I live in the middle of a small town of about 1500, in one of the nicer neighborhoods, and all my neighbors seem to love it! I've only had one person in town come up to me and say "Why??" And he learned why after he went for a ride.. Other than that, I get salutes or thumbs up going down the road, and the guys who drive big lifted dodges that think they are bada$$ always stop and stare...gotta love it!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Threads like this come up about every 6 months.

I just don't get it.

We've had MV's over 6 years. Jeeps, CUCVs, Deuces, etc.

I have had ONE bad experience in the entire time: There is a homeless guy who wanders around town who is obviously mentally ill who flipped me off while I was driving the deuce and yelled "F*ck the Army!" at me.

That's it-I drive them everywhere-my middle class neighborhood, high end subdivisions, the mall, everywhere. And never have I gotten even the sightliest dirty of looks.

Everyone I have met thinks they're neat or are amazed you can buy or own something like that. That includes college educated people in expensive neighborhoods.

What are you guys doing?

edpdx

I don't really give a flying fig what they think. There are always those that come out and let you know what they are thinking. I don't speed through my neighborhood. I have many very wealthy neighbors that have politically correct wheels. Some have top drawer rides and only see mine when they are looking down their nose at it. They don't really register cause IDGAF. The kids usually point and say "cool", though a week ago two 16 year olds on bicycles looked over one made an exaggerated laugh. I just smiled at them... they were after all on bicycles still.

When I travel through Ashland or Eugene during hunting season I see the nervous anti-war types with this ersatz concerned look on their face as they ponder things over their chai tea... "those ought to be against the law, they're only meant for killing"

It all balances out when vets of any age recount what they drove when they visited the motorpool, or mostly when I am at a light and I see the guy in the H2 or H3 stealing glances with that winsome far-away look that says: "I wonder what those things cost... not $557+ a month I'll bet... lots of street cred too"

I have not gone past my 383 Green paint (not full camo patterned... yet) but with the Military antenna and authentic bumper markings people are certainly curious- being a courteous driver helps, I think, let them know you may not be the Nazi they were thinking you were and pulling a neighbor out of the snow goes a long way too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks